It was bound to happen sooner or later!

GoldenMotor.com

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
So I got pulled over yesterday on my way home from work! Only one block away from my house, but isn't that always the way? I am located in California by the way.

I was riding by a highway patrol and right as I passed I saw him light me up. I pulled over and got off my bike, gave him a big smile and said "It usually isn't crackin' off that loud, my muffler fell off!" The officer was really cool about everything, and decided I should get a lesson learned the easy way, not the hard way.

The easy lesson involved standing at the back of the car thumbing through laws in his handy manual. He came to the conclusion that yes we do need a license though it need only be an M2, insurance is preferred but optional. I showed him my left mirror and tail light and he didn't say anything about turn signals and my missing head light. The officer decided that I didn't need to have my bike registered, I explained REV 230 and we chatted about whether or not registration was necessary for a while.

I told the officer that the muffler had fallen off during the ride and showed it to him. I told him that I that I had ordered a replacement three days prior and it should be here this week. He assured me that had my bike not been so loud he would have not pulled me over to begin with. All in all, we had an ok chat and he let me go with a verbal "warning", saying I most likely will never get pulled over again as long as I install a new muffler.

.shft.

concretepumper

Aug 30, 2011
Cali
Right on! What city or county if you don't mind me asking? I am in Riverside. Haven't been stopped yet but I haven't went too far on mine yet.

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Santa Maria, up in Santa Barbara County. I ride around 30 miles a day and this was my first time being stopped. The officer was pretty cool about it though, we laughed about California's laws being so much more demanding than other states.

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
The easy lesson involved standing at the back of the car thumbing through laws in his handy manual. He came to the conclusion that yes we do need a license though it need only be an M2, insurance is preferred but optional. I showed him my left mirror and tail light and he didn't say anything about turn signals and my missing head light.

Are you sure about the turn signals? I don't recall seeing anything about them in CVC 24015. One piece of equipment the law does specifically mention is a brake light. I'm surprised no one here has been pulled over by a LEO who has read the laws and got jammed up with "So where's your brake light?" Maybe I'll be the first. That's usually the way my luck runs.

BTW, while CVC 24015 mentions 15 U.S.C., Sec. 1381, it appears that section of the US Code has been repealed. Replaced with a much more onerous law no doubt, but I haven't found it yet. It's kind of odd that CA is demanding you conform to a law that doesn't exist any more. I guess you could use that as a defense in court, but once the word got out I'm sure the state would just update the Vehicle Code to the newest, more oppressive restrictions. (That's what "et seq" in the code means.)

Last edited:

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Are you sure about the turn signals? I don't recall seeing anything about them in CVC 24015. One piece of equipment the law does specifically mention is a brake light. I'm surprised no one here has been pulled over by a LEO who has read the laws and got jammed up with "So where's your brake light?" Maybe I'll be the first. That's usually the way my luck runs.
No I am not sure whether or not turn signals are required. I didn't have them when I got pulled over and the officer never mentioned or found anything related to turn signals in his book. It was daylight so I doubt he even checked for a headlight.

I had thought turn signals were needed from when I built my first bike. I am referring to a post on California laws I saw on here. That was when I joined this forum and it was probably the first thread I ever read on here.

http://motorbicycling.com/f17/real-deal-california-law-15268.html

And yes GearNut I was totally stoked that day. It was a good feeling of freedom to know that even the officer didn't think anything I was doing should be illegal. I have actually been pulled over once since that day. Only this time, it was a different officer and all he wanted to know was where he could get his son one!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great to read Cyclin. Every Cop I have met while I was on a MB has been more interested in the bike then causing me harm. But I live in CT and the laws are really liberal and pro MB. I have never asked any of the peace officers if they knew the laws but I should. I always wonder.

But you were a good guy just doing regular stuff and weren't a big bother to him. My point being, if we act right, cops are not looking for extra work in most cases. By nature, some one who seeks and takes a job that has a side arm involved, are adventurous folks and most likely enjoy some thing like a MB. I've yet to meet one who didn't want one or didn't think a MB was "cool"

Last edited:

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
Turn signals are not required in California. There's nothing in the laws that says you need a turn signal.

From memory, I think these are the things you need for a legal Cali MB:

- At least one mirror.
- Headlight with a high beam.
- Tail light.
- Horn.
- Registration and license/permit.
- License plate.

There are no rules saying you have to have insurance. Not only is it nearly impossible to have our homemade contraptions insured, but they're hardly worth anything most of the time and can't do any considerable damage to vehicles that can be insured.

In my experience, you have to be doing something to make a cop pull you over. If you have all the normal things that should be on your bike and you're wearing your DOT helmet, I doubt the cops will bother you. Also get a license plate and put it on your bike. I know it's a pain, but just zip tie it on and it will make you look more legit to cops.