Ohio Laws? SO CONFUSED!!!

GoldenMotor.com

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
I've searched all over the web, called the DMV, and tried some stupid DMV helpline online. I don't know what the laws are!

I really want to get a kit and install it on my bike, but I don't know what is legal and what is not. In ohio, mopeds are:
Under 20mph
1hp or less
under 50cc

Which pretty much means there are no mopeds in ohio. (lol)

So, then, can I just outfit this mountain bike of mine with everything needed to make it a motorcycle? The DMV says I need:

1-2 headlights
1 brakelight
A horn that can be heard at least 200ft away
At least 1 rearview mirror
Handlebars no more than 15 " above the seat
Turn signals manufactured after 1968
light for license plate (I guess only for night though)

BUT, doesn't it need to be inspected and registered to be a motorcycle?

I'M JUST CONFUSED! THERE ARE NO WRITTEN LAWS ABOUT THIS CRAP ANYWHERE!

Can I buy a kit, and where and how can I ride this thing?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm really excited to start motorbicycling!

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Lawriter - ORC - Search - motorized bicycle

Lots of stuff here, I didn't list it all, but click the link.

4501.01 [Effective Until 6/29/2011] Motor vehicles definitions.

(L) “Motorized bicycle” means any vehicle that either has two tandem wheels or one wheel in the front and two wheels in the rear, that is capable of being pedaled, and that is equipped with a helper motor of not more than fifty cubic centimeters piston displacement that produces no more than one brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of no greater than twenty miles per hour on a level surface.

4503.182 Temporary license placard or windshield sticker.

(B)(1) The registrar of motor vehicles may issue to a motorized bicycle dealer or a licensed motor vehicle dealer temporary license placards to be issued to purchasers for use on vehicles sold by the dealer, in accordance with rules prescribed by the registrar. The dealer shall notify the registrar, within forty-eight hours, of the issuance of a placard by electronic means via computer equipment purchased and maintained by the dealer or in any other manner prescribed by the registrar.

(2) The fee for each placard issued by the registrar to a dealer is two dollars. The registrar shall charge an additional three dollars and fifty cents for each placard issued to a dealer who notifies the registrar of the issuance of the placards in a manner other than by approved electronic means.

(H) As used in this section, “motorized bicycle dealer” means any person engaged in the business of selling at retail, displaying, offering for sale, or dealing in motorized bicycles who is not subject to section 4503.09 of the Revised Code.

4507.01 Driver's license law definitions - authority of registrar - deputy registrars.

“Motorized bicycle license” means the license issued under section 4511.521 of the Revised Code to any person to operate a motorized bicycle including a “probationary motorized bicycle license.”

“Probationary motorized bicycle license” means the license issued under section 4511.521 of the Revised Code to any person between fourteen and sixteen years of age to operate a motorized bicycle.

4511.521 Operation of motorized bicycles.

(A) No person shall operate a motorized bicycle upon a highway or any public or private property used by the public for purposes of vehicular travel or parking, unless all of the following conditions are met:

(1) The person is fourteen or fifteen years of age and holds a valid probationary motorized bicycle license issued after the person has passed the test provided for in this section, or the person is sixteen years of age or older and holds either a valid commercial driver’s license issued under Chapter 4506. or a driver’s license issued under Chapter 4507. of the Revised Code or a valid motorized bicycle license issued after the person has passed the test provided for in this section, except that if a person is sixteen years of age, has a valid probationary motorized bicycle license and desires a motorized bicycle license, the person is not required to comply with the testing requirements provided for in this section;

(2) The motorized bicycle is equipped in accordance with the rules adopted under division (B) of this section and is in proper working order;

(3) The person, if under eighteen years of age, is wearing a protective helmet on the person’s head with the chin strap properly fastened and the motorized bicycle is equipped with a rear-view mirror.

(4) The person operates the motorized bicycle when practicable within three feet of the right edge of the roadway obeying all traffic rules applicable to vehicles.

(B) The director of public safety, subject to sections 119.01 to 119.13 of the Revised Code, shall adopt and promulgate rules concerning protective helmets, the equipment of motorized bicycles, and the testing and qualifications of persons who do not hold a valid driver’s or commercial driver’s license. The test shall be as near as practicable to the examination required for a motorcycle operator’s endorsement under section 4507.11 of the Revised Code. The test shall also require the operator to give an actual demonstration of the operator’s ability to operate and control a motorized bicycle by driving one under the supervision of an examining officer.

(C) Every motorized bicycle license expires on the birthday of the applicant in the fourth year after the date it is issued, but in no event shall any motorized bicycle license be issued for a period longer than four years.

(D) No person operating a motorized bicycle shall carry another person upon the motorized bicycle.

(E) The protective helmet and rear-view mirror required by division (A)(3) of this section shall, on and after January 1, 1985, conform with rules adopted by the director under division (B) of this section.

(F) Each probationary motorized bicycle license or motorized bicycle license shall be laminated with a transparent plastic material.

(G) Whoever violates division (A), (D), or (E) of this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor.

Effective Date: 01-01-2004

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
ok, thanks for the answers guys, I really appreciate it. I read a good amount of the ohio revised code, but I didn't see the last two parts you had there, so I really appreciate it.

obviously, with the kit, its going to be over 50cc, over 1hp, and over 20mph. but I may see if I can go down to the dmv and get my license anyway. do you think I'll need to have the bike yet to get the license? I am 18 and have my full regular license. is it just a written test, or do I actually need to ride ' wonder? I will ask.