Got my 9 continent hub motor a few days ago

GoldenMotor.com

NID_FTL

Aug 25, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I did my research on here and e-bay and such and found the best deal just down the street. 315.00 for a 9 continent 500 watt 36 volt front hub with 3 12 volt 12 amp hour SLA battery's. I installed on my Huge Hampton Cruiser all steel men's bike in less than an hour and was off on the charge that came in the battery's. on electric alone I am sure it is faster than 16mph at least at first, after a good hard 5 to 7 min burn some of the top end disappears. when peddling in 7th gear and throttle wide open I would guess well over 25 mph. I took it on a long haul today to walk and feed my friends dog and cat. about 8 miles total. I stayed on the sidewalk and made like I was peddling so as not to draw attention I just got in and my power says 60%. Tomorrow I will take it to the beach that trip will be over 10 miles, I can't wait to save up 250.00 for a LiPo pak, but until then I will have to deal with the weight. in 3 days I have put over 20 miles on my bike and my leg's don't hurt lol. I do believe I will need a new hub and bearings on the rear soon. I got roloff eyes on a K-Mark budget. I also bought a topeak rear rack to mount the battery bag, it was expensive but it has a U lock that slides in and out that is perfect for locking up the front wheel and I have a cable to lace thru the rest of the bike.
Thanks to Decon for all his post and all his help on previous gas conversions. When diesel goes back up over 5 dollars a gallon I got my electric bike. Jim....

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I really am happy to hear about your bike. Sounds like you have a winner there. After having read about those new batteries and how close they claim they are to production, I have decided to go one more round with sla batteries. I am still pulling mine on trailers. I like the fact the bike itself is easier to handle with the batteries on a trailer.

If I ever go with a light weight battery, I might hang mine over the front bars in a basket. Keep the rear open for a basket of cokes or groceries. As long as the battery is light weight and centered on the front wheel it might be acceptable.

Last edited:

NID_FTL

Aug 25, 2008
Sunny South Florida
If I ever go with a light weight battery, I might hang mine over the front bars in a basket. Keep the rear open for a basket of cokes or groceries. As long as the battery is light weight and centered on the front wheel it might be acceptable.
When I first got my set. I did not have a back rack, so I put my pak in my front basket, since my hub motor is on the front was way too much weight on the front, I am guessing even if the LiPo's are less than half the weight will still be too much. I like the battery pak on back rack and Pepsi in my front basket. I think when I get LiPo's I will mount 2 of them one on each side of my rear rack. do you Happen to know the Amp hr to weight ratio for SLA's and LiPo's what's the actual % weight diference? Also there are several types of LiPo's. what is the diffrence and long run problems. I am very happy with the hub motor and glad I bought new SLA's, rather than salvage. I was told to expect to replace the SLA's after 6 to 8 months.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It replacement is going to be harder than you think. Not the doing, the deciding when. My set goes back to when I first bought the first hub motor and even beyond. I should replace the oldest ones but they still charge. I'm sure they drain far too fast but throwing away something that still works is hard for me to do.

I just got a sla 12 ah battery in and the shipping weight was 9 pounds. I would think a set of three would run up about thirty pounds for 12ah. I am running a little more than 12 since I also run a set of 7ah in tandem with the 12ah batteries.

a 36v 15ah lipo4 battery is 5.6 kilos or about 12.4 pounds... A little than half the weight. That is very significant if carried on the bike but not so much if pulled along on a trailer. My motor is on the rear wheel and sitting on top so my light weight batteries in the front fork area might just be a good counter balance.

I think you made the right choice in the 500 watt hub motor. The 250 watt motor at 24v I have running 36v is just a little too small. I never use it now. I might give it some more thought later though. I wouldn't want to overpower that controller since it was a cheap one. The hub with 48v might be just barely enough to be fun to ride.

The drives I build are much better at 36volt one the 24v 500 watt controller.

NID_FTL

Aug 25, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I agree, I wanted a 36 volt 600 to 750 watt hub. but I settled on this one. since it's flat here except the draw bridges , I don't lose hard amps climbing hills.I have been watching and have seen most of the pic's you have posted. yours and my needs are very diffrent. I was at the bike shop yesterday and saw a confort bicycle, kinda chopper style it had a back post and was made to be riden leaning back or sitting up. I went BOING! 750 though, I thought about you, seemed like something you would like. I will try to get a pic of it sometime. Would be wonderful with a front hub motor and a small trailer for your battery's. My SLA's are **** on my rear tire and hub.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If they have a thrift store around there you can always pick up a five dollar child's bike and use the wheels to make a small trailer they are easy to make and make a big difference in how my bikes handle.

I got a wild hair and found my old front fork for the hub motor. I mounted it and will probably pick up a thrift store bike to stick the thing in. I have bike parts all over the place to piece it together with. I have been thinking I would like to give it another try just for the heck of it.