Which camera do you use

GoldenMotor.com

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Good luck with the helmet, how long can you record ? I see that the memory is not expandable. My only problem is here in Georgia our helmet has to have the d.o.t. decal to legally ride a m/b, that's why I have the helmet mounted camera.

Barnfresh

Sep 5, 2011
Nor-Cal
Have had good luck so far.Tried it out on a ride this weekend, only got an hour of video. And yes memory is not expandable, it is what it is just what you would expect fo the price. Fortunately I only need the bicycle helmet certification to be legal riding my MB. Again this is an entry level device. Heck at the price you almost consider it a disposable. As soon as I figure out how to edit some video down small enough to upload and transfer I'll share so everyone can see the quality, or lack of for those with the expensive go pro setups on helmets that cost as much or more than the camera.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
That's pretty good, there's probably a lot of members that can use one legally in their State that need a helmet, so why not one with a built in camera. By the way is it sealed or can the battery be removed?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
The old saying "if you don't use it you lose it" applies here, take a lot of video. The advance in technology with today's cameras means most take decent pictures. By the way how do you like the electric bike?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Going back to the original question of this thread, I just got a wake-up call.

My three year old Nikon died. Apparently the lens drive system was a weak point from what I've read. Okay, so I wanted a new camera anyway, one with a higher pixel rate, etc. So I'm off to Best Buy. After some research I decided to spend a few bucks and bought a Sony Cybershot. It came highly recommended both by reviews I'd read and the young man at Best Buy.

I was excited. I took some test video and a few still shots and could tell they were far better than the Nikon as viewed on the camear's display. That was until I tried to download them onto Windows XP. The camera doesn't come with software. You have to download it from Sony. But...it won't load on XP. And, my computer is too old to be upgraded. I spent about 8 hours trying everything I could find about ways to make it work but was unsuccessful.

I took the camera back, returned it and got my money back but then tried to find an alternative. No luck. Every camera I looked at in the same price range and researched, will only work with Windows Vista or above.

So, if i want to do video with decent quality I have to buy a new computer. Oh, and the estimated repair cost for the Nikon? Nearly twice what I paid for it three years ago.

Doesn't that just stink?

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom I have the Sony camera that you bought, it takes some great video. It has shake compensation like the go pro does, I too found out that I had to use a windows 7 computer to edit video. Luckily we have a laptop running 7 that I upgraded last week to windows 10. I'm still planning a ride and do some video with the go pro, I've got a lot going on trying to work on the 50 ford. The link below has video from the Sony camera.
http://youtu.be/Q-aMnWrCZHA

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I currently use a gopro hero 3. It's the base model of the gopros but will film full 1080P for a decent amount of time. Just bought a 64gb micro SD for it as well.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I currently use a gopro hero 3. It's the base model of the gopros but will film full 1080P for a decent amount of time. Just bought a 64gb micro SD for it as well.
Nice. They're great cameras.
But will it work with Windows XP and Movie Maker? That's what I'm having trouble finding. All the new cameras out there are not compatible with the older operating systems.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom I'll try my go pro with my xp computer to see if I can edit it, if one of the older programs I have will work I'll let you know.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Nice. They're great cameras.
But will it work with Windows XP and Movie Maker? That's what I'm having trouble finding. All the new cameras out there are not compatible with the older operating systems.

Tom
As far as I know it should it films in a few different formats so you can basically edit wherever you would need to.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Tom I'll try my go pro with my xp computer to see if I can edit it, if one of the older programs I have will work I'll let you know.
Thanks guys. I'm going to look at computers today. Who knows. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and try to catch up with the rest of the world. What concerns me is all of the stuff I currently do on my old machine won't work with the new ones. Flight Sim, Photo Shop, my external hard drive with years of photos and videos...none of it will work on Windows 10.

I don't understand how or why they just arbitrarily make things obsolete then don't replace them with something comparable. I suppose that's the problem with being a dinosaur. Now where did I put that buggy whip?

Tom

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Thanks guys. I'm going to look at computers today. Who knows. Maybe I'll bite the bullet and try to catch up with the rest of the world. What concerns me is all of the stuff I currently do on my old machine won't work with the new ones. Flight Sim, Photo Shop, my external hard drive with years of photos and videos...none of it will work on Windows 10.

I don't understand how or why they just arbitrarily make things obsolete then don't replace them with something comparable. I suppose that's the problem with being a dinosaur. Now where did I put that buggy whip?

Tom
Tom you might look into something called a virtual machine which is a software that can run windows XP inside of windows 10. It'd just be like another window. Or you might see about a dual booting computer where you would select if you wanted windows XP or windows 10 to boot on the computer.

Both of these are easier said than done obviously, but I'd go with the first one. Now I don't have any experience with these, but you would basically download a program that would boot windows XP open for you in another window.

Wish I could be more help!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Tom the only way to use a xp computer is to convert the video, all newer HD cameras use the mp4 format that needs to be converted to wmv for movie maker. I had a program on my desk top that worked but it took too long, I had to copy the video to the computer then convert it. It was too much time wasted to find out the video was bad. Since we got the w7 laptop I removed that program from the old xp computer to free up space for pictures.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Tom

I use a free converter program called "Any video converter". I can convert any video into any video format. You can also download videos from youtube and convert those into any video file or even into a music file. I actually have a file saved on my computer of videos off youtube that I have converted to avi files to be used to make a "50 State Ride video someday" I have videos saved from several members here on motorbicycling that way if they erase those vids from youtube, I still have them for viewing. Here is the link to the AVC website.
http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Ray that's similar to what I used, with my older xp computer it took too long to first copy the video to the computer, then convert it, then import it to movie maker. My windows 7 laptop is so much faster I quickly quit trying on the xp machine.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I am happily posting from my new (refurbed Dell Optiplex 990 bought from Woot) running Win 7 that I bought 7 months ago. Yup, been operational and sitting inna corner unplugged and gathering dust for 7 months. It would still be there if the 12 yr old XP box was still running. But it died and now rests with the e-waste people.

Get a new computer. The old XP box will die. My USB external hard drive that I backed up to works fine on the new box. USB is USB. All my photos are there too. JPEG is JPEG.

My camera software works fine too.