About to buy my first kit, advice?

GoldenMotor.com

SleepyPanchoo

Mar 23, 2010
New York - US
Hello all, I've been following the forums for awhile and finally I am looking to buy a 4-stroke motor kit for my touring bike.

This is going to be my first build, going to use it for doing messenger deliveries around NYC and I wanted some tips before I spend any money.

1) What is a good 4-stroke motor kit to buy? I was looking at
http://www.bikeberry.com/gas-engine...g-pull-start-bicycle-engine-kit-4-stroke.html
but it is out of stock . I don't want to spend too much since I don't have much capital to spend on this project.

2) Is there a way to cover the kit on the bike while riding it?
How can I conceal the engine while riding so I won't get stop by a cop? I live in NYC and I am don't want my bike taken away from a jerk cop if he catches up to me.

More info:
My rear rim are steel so it should be able to handle the load from the engine? I can get a rack for the gas tank if necessary. The frame on the bike is steel as well so it is very durable. Will be swapping the drop bars with mountain bike handlebars or sawing it in half so the bar is straight.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
The best advice that I can give is to expect to deal with some issues while sorting out the build. Don't get riled up when something happens ---- and it probably will. This will make you a better mechanic in the long run.

Best of luck to you! I'm just glad that I don't have to depend on my bike.......working on it is just part of the charm of this 'hobby'.

MtDave

Jun 22, 2013
Missoula, Montana
I'm new also, so I can't give advice, just opinions. All I can say is the kit you linked is out of stock according to the link. After reading so many thoughts on 4-stroke kits it seems the general attitude is to get a T-belt kit instead of a chain driven kit.

I believe the one you are looking at is a chain driven kit that is sealed and meant to be filled with grease and/or gear oil, again I'm a newb so very well could be wrong.

I chose to go with this kit http://www.bicycle-engines.com/49cc-4G-T-Belt-Drive-Complete-Gas-Powered-Engine-Kit.html
I decided on this kit because it is repeatedly mentioned or linked to in various threads and second because the vendor is in my home state :). The only hesitation I had on the kit I chose is it is a tapered shaft engine and it seems the consensus is to get a straight shaft engine. I don't fully understand why. Maybe someone with more experience will give an explanation.

Again, I can't endorse any 4-stroke kit because I don't have a completed build under my belt yet, I can just tell you what I decided to do.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
I second MtDave's choice and agree on the straight shaft. Bicycle-engines I have ordered from many times and NEVER had a problem with them. Ships fast and you get what you asked for. The straight shaft is not "better" but gives you much greater flexability in transmission choices if you ever decide to try something else. With the tapered you are very much limited.

SleepyPanchoo

Mar 23, 2010
New York - US
Thanks so much guys for the advice. I'll go for the belt drive instead. Would a "straight shaft" cost more? The engine you showed me seems to be using a chain as well according to the pic?

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
If you are going to use a road bike with thin tires like that you will find yourself replacing the tires often, this is the reason most people use beach cruzers or mountain bikes.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
This is going to be my first build, going to use it for doing messenger deliveries around NYC and I wanted some tips before I spend any money.

2) Is there a way to cover the kit on the bike while riding it?
How can I conceal the engine while riding so I won't get stop by a cop? I live in NYC and I am don't want my bike taken away from a jerk cop if he catches up to me.
I guess that you know that Gas powered bikes and ebikes are illegal in NYC

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Oh, that's good!

OK, forget the 4 stroke and go electric. Small front hub motor, small lithium battery.

No noise, no smell, total stealth - :)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Wow what has this Amerika come to when we're suppose to live in a "free" country but yet its illegal to ride and electric bike down to the 7-eleven and get a Big Gulp in one of our biggest cities..!!!

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Wow what has this Amerika come to when we're suppose to live in a "free" country but yet its illegal to ride and electric bike down to the 7-eleven and get a Big Gulp in one of our biggest cities..!!!
Well, we are talking about New York, the place is run by entrenched interests. They want everyone riding public transportation. To them, electric bicycles dig into the revenue streams of cab drivers and over paid public transportation workers. This kind of thing happens all over the state. Let me tell you, there are homes on Long Island that still use heating oil to heat their homes because the heating oil delivery unions buy off the politicians and prevent gas mains from being put in. New York is a corrupt maze of pay offs and protection rackets.

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
:):):)

Another thing to consider is your stopping power. Steel rims do not have the braking friction of an aluminum rim. Steel rims, especially chromed rims are slick and will not help much stopping a powered bike. Even if you stay with a narrower rim, you might want to look into using good aluminum rims.

:):)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
:):):)

Another thing to consider is your stopping power. Steel rims do not have the braking friction of an aluminum rim. Steel rims, especially chromed rims are slick and will not help much stopping a powered bike. Even if you stay with a narrower rim, you might want to look into using good aluminum rims.

:):)
If you use Promax or Kool Stop brake pads on chrome wheels they do a great job, but many of the cheapo brakes are to hard or just the wrong compound for steel wheels, the brakes I use will lock up a steel wheel, but you are right aluminum wheels do offer great braking even with the cheapo brakes.

Promax and Kool Stop Salmon brakes will give you darn as good though on a steel wheel in my experience, the Promax being a bit better though on the steel wheels.

Not ment to contridict all all, just a tid bit added since this has been my experience, thought it might help someone who has steel wheels and V Brakes and wants a better brake shoe for that set up.