Stretching an OCC chopper

GoldenMotor.com

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
How hard would this be
I just bought a couple more toady, one is good and one is pretty much a ratty frame

Would it be possible to use the parts of one to lengthen the other or would the angles be wrong

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
More work than it's worth IMO to use the other to stretch the first.

I'd clean up the ratty one, fix what needs fixing and sell it - or clean it, fix it, motor it up and sell it. Either way, you could have more materials money to drop into the more promising frame.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Only thing I see is making the rear of the frame longer for a rear mount 4 stroke. But it's going to be a challenge to get it right. Lots of work and a machine shop (c)

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
How hard would this be
I just bought a couple more toady, one is good and one is pretty much a ratty frame

Would it be possible to use the parts of one to lengthen the other or would the angles be wrong
funny you braught this up. I was thinking about doing this myself. the job really isnt hard except when its time to weld it back together. You would have to make up a jig to keep the frame straight.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
You can do it!

I bought an XYZ Bikes Stretch Chopper couple of years ago, it is nearly the same size as the Schwinn XL-Adult size Stingray Chopper bottom tube measures 23-inches long. This XYZ XL-Chopper is about a foot longer than the stock 20" Schwinn Stingray Chopper!

My XYZ XL-Chopper does not require cutting out the seat down tube to fit in the chinese clone Horizontal Honda crf50 or sometimes called Monkey Bike engine, as does the stock 20" Stingray Chopper which has a bottom tube measurement of about 14-1/4" length, the Honda crf50 type engine fits in the stock stingray but very tightly.

Checkout the pic's below of the stock 20" Stingray Chopper & the XYZ Bikes version of the Adult Stretch XL-Chopper.

Stock 20" Schwinn Stingray Chopper, with seat down tube removed to fit the Honda crf50 type engine.

Here's the XYZ Bikes Adult size XL-Chopper, with the Honda crf50 type engine. Removing the seat tube is not necessary with this bike.

Yes you can stretch one of your stock 20" Schwinn Stingray Chopper's just buy yourself some steel tubing and start your project. This is a project that will cause hair loss & migraines for those who haven't the skills to take on this project!!!

I still say it can be done, remember if you have the patience !!!

C.H.
P.S. Did I mention that these 20" Schwinn Stingray Choppers sell for as little as $40-50 US-Dollars on Craigslist sometimes less than that if in poor shape, and the best ones that are near to mint condition sell on Craigslist for $50-100 US-Dollars. If they are selling for more than a one-hundred $100 and are in mint condition, I always haggle the price down to at least $75.00. So buy several of these Stingrays and you can modify them to what ever length you desire, maybe build a sidecar out of one using a less than perfect condition frame!

Last edited:

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Good to see you back SB

I have five of these thing now, the last two cost me $50 for both.
One is an electric without the battery pack and all the wires cut, but it still has that mondo rear hub, the other one is a piece of crap totally spray painted flat white with a good front tire and no rear tire
One I paid about $50 for is a first year signed by Cody, Paul Jr. and Vinnie in near perfect condition, I'm thinking of putting that big rear hub on it. Another is near perfect and one is so-so

I figure if I take the two lesser frames and make the adult sized chopper I would have something that I could actually ride without bruising my knees when I pedal start it

I personally do not have any of the skills necessary to do this other than the imagination, but I have found an FAA certified welder that can bring anything I imagine to life I'm thinking the electric start 50cc

joabthebugman

Jun 21, 2010
ocoee fla
Yes, and I don't know why I called you SB

I have a set of shorter apes but I still have to ride on the back of the seat to be comfortable

I think I will start on the one for my grandaughter tomorrow finally
Her's is only getting a rag joint because she wants a bike just to want one but I do have the mount for it

The electric bike already has a neat little tray that the mounted engine will just fit in

I'll probably never get around to stretching one anyway, I will have my hands full with the stretch 110. I just wanted to see if it could be done for future reference, or if I get that wild hair one night

pedalchopper

May 9, 2010
Ft Myers beach Florida
I have been working on adult sizing OCC Schwinns for a couple years now...

I engineered a bracket / system to elongate frame and put on 24 x 4.25 rear wheel - check out my latest build - OCC Schwinn Black Widow. very comfortable up to and beyond 6 ft tall!

Jim
PedalChoppper.com