Spokes popping-Shift Kit

GoldenMotor.com

rockonp04

Oct 1, 2010
California
I've got a mountain bike rim on my two stroke shift kit. The mountain bike rim is to make sure the axle doesn't bend when I crank start it. I've had the rim for about 16 months. I recently took the rim to have it trued and a spoke popped on me after I got it back. I had it repaired and just took it out again and another spoke popped. Think the bike shop is over tensioning them or is it time to replace all the spokes?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Might try a set of Holmes Hobbies Sapian spokes? http://holmeshobbies.com/

This guy knows his stuff and builds custom wheel sets. I got to talk to him for a few a long time ago. I am using 14 gauge spokes too. They are beefy tho.. look more like 13's? His sapian type spokes are built nice. They have a thicker and thinner section to them that to me have proving to be very strong.

His wheel sets are standing up to the riggers of electric motor torque which is a hefty test!

I built my very first wheel set and they have been flawless to date . http://motorbicycling.com/picture.php?albumid=840&pictureid=4334

I did set my spokes pretty tight when assembling the wheel. Google the term http://www.google.com/search?q=cold...qf.,cf.osb&fp=798ff7e45f6d12e&biw=573&bih=345. Have not had to do a follow up yet.

Somebody else will chime in soon enough. I will build my own wheel sets from now on. I went to a online spoke calculator measured everything. Then ordered my spokes in the correct length. .

What I found was that the spokes were all cut exactly to the same length. So when I went together with my new rims. All I had to do was look at the top of the spoke nuts and twist them all up the same. Was easy to tell by looking at how much spoke wire was coming up through to the nuts.

So I ran a good name brand screw driver making many patient laps around the wheel a little at a time until the screw driver blade popped off the spoke nuts. Spokes were finally flush. Then made my last couple rounds with a spoke wrench . Done deal.

Having always trued my own wheels in the past this was just to darn easy! Honest I never even used a truing stand. I just set there on the sofa in front of the T.V. and had my first wheel in about an hour.

Might do some reading on the subject? Some hub flanges on cheaper low end machines might be too thin as well?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I also meant to say that loose spokes break faster than properly tight ones. When the whole thing is in harmony and acting like a true uni-body structure it is at full strength. A old wheel that was perhaps ran too loose would mebbe have compromised spokes? As a handful of spokes were doing all the work.

When things get loose and have a chance to rattle in the world of mechanics there is self destruction behind.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Venice can make you a great wheel!(^) He knows building wheels really well. Making all kinds of custom wheel sets.:) I just noticed you folks are both in Cali!

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
As a bike mechanic and lifetime racer..... If your spokes are breaking then it would be best financialy wise to buy a 12g wheel from Venice