Huasheng vs Honda?

GoldenMotor.com

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
I've see these kits advertised and the Huasheng looks like a carbon copy of the Honda motor. Had anyone purchased one of each to see how they both run side by side or know how different the quality the Huasheng is compared to the Honda?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
from what I understand, the honda has a harder to work on carb/governor (people change it out for a HS)
I am not knocking the honda, but I haven't seen where it is worth the big difference in cost

I have almost 4300 miles on my HS and have never done a thing to it but change the oil :)

Hi,
We have placed hundreds of the HS motors in service over the last 2 years.
Parts replaced so far have been limited to one carburetor float, and 2 rope starter assemblies.

It is important to mention the rope starter also broke on my Honda GXH50 test motor [replaced with H.S. version].

The Honda is listed with a higher compression ratio, but I can't tell the difference between the motors execpt the H.S. has a higher top speed.

The Honda cost more and requires changes in the governor, carburetor linkage [most install the H.S. carburetor], and exhaust system.

Have fun,

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
i have not owned both
just the honda
way i see it
get a chinease motor
or a japanese one that has a reputation to hold

they are right the linkage is a challenge

Buddy

Jul 7, 2009
Ogden, Utah
If there's ANYTHING designed in China as good or better than a Japanese design it's a first.

I've had 2 Huasheng engines and can definitely say the first was considerably better than the second, that's typical Chinese manufacturing though, their tolerances are terrible. I've owned quite a few Honda engines and the quality has been the same on all of them. Honda makes a top notch engine.

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
Well nowdays it doesn't take a rocket scientist to buy another product (Honda motor) tear it down and copy it. And you have to give China some credit on some of their Hi-tech manufacturing capabilities of course these small engines are not really Hi-tech. I wouldn't be surprised if the Hondas were even manufactured in China the way they steal technology, it'd be a cinch to reproduce clones in the factory "next door"... Thats why I'm curious about subtle differences.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I haven't had a Honda, but my Hueshang runs great!! Got well over 1000 miles with an EZ drive & run it wide open all the time. 7500 to 8850 rpm's all day..
Jay

Last edited:

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
I wouldn't be surprised if the Hondas were even manufactured in China the way they steal technology, it'd be a cinch to reproduce clones in the factory "next door"...
as you can see in this pic they are NOT made in china
the date on the pic is wrong the engine was purchased late summer of 2009

Last edited:

Sign Guy

Jan 19, 2010
Everett, WA
No, what I was trying to say is that China steals everyone elses technology. I must have screwed up the translation.

I was looking at a Kawasaki motorcycle last summer and it was made in Thailand. I've heard Suzuki SV650's are made in China or the engines are so it wouldn't surprise me if they made knock off Honda motors.

Thanks for the photo, it sure looks like you've been getting a lot of good use out of that motor! How many miles are on it?

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Thanks for the photo, it sure looks like you've been getting a lot of good use out of that motor! How many miles are on it?
are you talking about how the plastic is breaking near the rope the pull start

that is cuz i was starting it while i was sitting on it straight up
they need to be pulled at an angle

it only has aprox 400 miles on it
i had one of firebellys origional hardbox gearboxes
design flaw...masterlink in the box broke every 200 miles

now i am waiting for him to complete the beltdrive for the honda and will be helping him test the concept out
not sure if this first one will be a cvt or not but one will come
for more info check out this thread
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/new-frame-4-stroke-kit-development-13442.html

Last edited:

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro
evrey thing the chinese have short of foleded blade thought came from canada to bad were or owr goverining pepole havent put it in the hands of deacent people cant go 10 blocks and find a engin lathe in a shed dude were done and then some!! it will come when they dont have food but what then??????????

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
are you talking about how the plastic is breaking near the rope the pull start

that is cuz i was starting it while i was sitting on it straight up
they need to be pulled at an angle

it only has aprox 400 miles on it
i had one of firebellys origional hardbox gearboxes
design flaw...masterlink in the box broke every 200 miles

now i am waiting for him to complete the beltdrive for the honda and will be helping him test the concept out
not sure if this first one will be a cvt or not but one will come
for more info check out this thread
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/new-frame-4-stroke-kit-development-13442.html
I ride an EZ. They are known not to break down & are very reliable. They are reasonably priced, when you realize that you get the complete kit including engine, gas tank, chain idler, air cleaner, etc. Check out this thread:

EZ Motorbike of Lebanon: Welcome to EZ Motorbike of Lebanon

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
i know i have heard lots of good stuff about the ez but im holding out for the cvt for the honda
he just finished the cvt for the harbor freight motor
you should check the thread out

and plus that cover on the ez's makes them look sooooooooo cheap
i know they are not cheap
i know they are of good quality
but i think they look awful
they ought to comeout with eithor a metal cove or a plexiglass or somethin like that

Last edited:

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I always liked the EZ cover. Kind of reminded me of the old Harley primary covers. Also, it covers all moving parts, so you won't rip your hand or leg up. One time I had the front cover off my Whizzer & reached down to turn off the choke without looking & took a good chunk out of my finger. So I like the moving parts covered.
Jay

Hi Jared8783,

Although you don't like the drive cover, it is at least SAFE! The EZM guard covers all the moving parts and removes the danger of clothing entangled in the moving clutch. Our cover also aids in protecting the belt & clutch from weather related failures [slippage due to rain, etc] We are currently working with NOVA plastics in Norfolk, VA to fabricate belt guards and hope to have our logo embossed and improve the cosmetics slightly. Our current cover is one of the thinnest available [width does matter, LOL] and makes riding more pleasing.

With the help of the major belt companies [Gates, Dayco, and Carlisle] we have just released production version #5 with a higher belt transfer rating. It is also important to note versions #1,#2, #3, & #4 worked without design failures and most can be upgraded to version #5 for increased power transfer [version #1 is manual and can't be upgraded to later versions] The engineering departments at the leading belt companies have shown us ways to reduce the HP loss to approx. 2%, thus allowing 98% power transfer.

Sadly the same can't be said for the CVT drive systems, as they are known to EAT power [up to 38%].
We did some research and testing on the CVT systems and found them bulky, wide, and hard to keep in adjustment. Considering the Honda 50, HS 50, and even the HF 79 greyhound produce 2.5 HP or less it didn't seem wise to give up any power to operate the CVT drive.

If you want an example of CVT power losses, extra weight, and WIDE profiles, just look at the Whizzer NE-r motorbike. Any NE5 belt driven Whizzer with the automatic clutch will out perform, produce almost twice the gas mileage, and is MUCH lighter than the CVT equiped NE-r.

As far as your comments about the EZM "i know they are not cheap", guess again! Looks like we are less expensive than some of the latest offerings from several companies.

BTW you can order the less expensive Q-Matic drive [was designed & tested on the Honda & HS motors] and we will rebate you the cost of the cover if you want to fabricate your own cover [we are open to any ideas to improve our product].

Now back to the original reason for this post.........

Although I like the Honda motor, it just isn't worth the difference in cost over the HS motor. I am currently using both motors on factory proto-type motorbikes. The Honda was aquired in an EVEN trade for a HS motor, because the owner found the HS to be faster and much easier to install on a motorbike. The HS is faster on top end, and usually starts easier, however the Honda apppears to have a little more bottom end power. Either motor will deliver enough durability and power to get the job done, therefore it is just down to brand loyality.

If someone likes Honda, then buy the Honda, if price is an issue then buy the HS, both are great choices.

Have fun,

jared8783

May 13, 2009
Elkhart, IN
The engineering departments at the leading belt companies have shown us ways to reduce the HP loss to approx. 2%, thus allowing 98% power transfer.

As far as your comments about the EZM "i know they are not cheap", guess again! Looks like we are less expensive than some of the latest offerings from several companies
so just out of curiosity
honda vs china with q-matic
how much hp meets the pavement according to the dynos

and when i said i know they are not cheap i didnt mean that they were expensive
it was just my way of saying that they are of good quality
im just not a fan of the cosmetics is all

is there a webiste where we are able to order ezm products at
i have searched
and found none