Maniac57 tests the HD Lightning CDI

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I received a new HD Lightning CDI today and quickly installed it on My Pig.
Very easy to wire. I cheated for the time being and used zipties to mount the coil, but plan on welding tabs to the frame eventually for a cleaner setup.
The included plug wire is very long and should work for almost any mounting you can imagine. I cut almost half off. Everything is very nicely made and looks good.

The electronics box is also ziptied for convenience since I'm eager to run this sucker!

Well all I have to say after my first ride is WOW! What a difference! My bike has lately been prone to annoying "hiccups" in the low end and midrange that felt to me like the spark was being blown out. Careful plug gapping had helped but never cured it and my jetting is now spot on since I finally got off my behind and drilled my own jets.
Well, this seems to confirm my suspicion because with the new ignition, it pulls clean and strong from idle all the way to scary vibration land. No more "hiccups" and it is clearly a much happier motor everywhere in the band. With the improved chamber of the fredhead and this new stronger spark, my otherwise stock engine is really running sweet! Everyone here knows how cheap I am and I'm thrilled with this ignition.
I don't do GPS and have no idea what my speeds are, but it feels faster everywhere in the band with improved throttle response and cleaner combustion. My seat-of-the-pants dyno says its working very well!
With these mods together on my stock, nothing special ebay engine, I'm happier than I have been yet!
Can't wait to get my GenV top end parts to see how this package acts on a decent bottom end with more rpm potential....

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I don't know if my riding style/amount of riding would warrant the purchase of this upgraded unit. With that being said, if my old CDI decides to go kaput, I'd probably go with the Lightning.

Keep us updated with the everyday reliability of this unit. Racers are always near 'help' at a track ----- much different for a casual rider on a cruise away from the homebase.

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I don't know if my riding style/amount of riding would warrant the purchase of this upgraded unit. With that being said, if my old CDI decides to go kaput, I'd probably go with the Lightning.

Keep us updated with the everyday reliability of this unit. Racers are always near 'help' at a track ----- much different for a casual rider on a cruise away from the homebase.
I felt exactly the same way. The stock CDI works fine so why bother?
I've changed my opinion after riding the new parts.
The improvement is useable everywhere, not just racing. Makes my bike more enjoyable and peppier offsetting the 36tooth gearing handicap in low end takeoff.
Between this and the Fredhead and the pipe , my otherwise stock HT is a much different animal.
I am NOT being paid for this review, nor did I solicit any parts in return for a good review.
This is my unbiased opinion in an attempt to reduce the hype.
I call them like I see them, ESPECIALLY when it comes to parts marketed as performance improving. You can bet your a$$ if it don't work, I'll be the first to sound off. I'm too old to care what anyone else thinks.
The HD Lightning works as advertised.
You won't get instant 50mph wheelies, but you WILL feel the difference!

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
HuffyDavidson, is there any reason I can't weld a couple small tabs on the frame to mount the coil properly? It's grounded anyway so?....

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
I want to retire my DC LED lights and get some real lights with a single on button instead of 4 buttons. I'm sold... what is the retail price of the lighting kit?

maniac57

Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Update:
After about a week of my usual riding, the HD lightning continues to make my Pig a much more enjoyable, happier feeling ride. The improvement in manners and low end is very nice in daily use, making for less pedaling and clutch use. It starts easier and warms up quicker, although this could also be partly due to the Fred head.
I'm very happy with the performance and value of this ignition and would recommend it to anyone who wants better than stock.

sub66

Apr 25, 2014
canada
the coil sells for 3.30 cents. without the coil the cdi is worth nothing wich equals its function. the cdi works on stock coils but will not sell to americans as it would not function better.

but im sure all the pole sucking will fit right in.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
the coil sells for 3.30 cents. without the coil the cdi is worth nothing wich equals its function. the cdi works on stock coils but will not sell to americans as it would not function better.

but im sure all the pole sucking will fit right in.
Would you care to explain what this is supposed to mean and what relevance it has to the thread?

Tom

sub66

Apr 25, 2014
canada
jaguar is from..... not usa

did u guys figure it out yet? no!

i will give u more time to think so i dont have to expain every detail perfectly.

sub66

Apr 25, 2014
canada
It seems to me that this is some sort of American bashing... At least that's the feeling I get when I read the post.... ?
where does that get you? whats the point of this? jaguar cdi is made elsewhere and hes never been to usa for all we know

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
where does that get you? whats the point of this? jaguar cdi is made elsewhere and hes never been to usa for all we know
Am I missing something? I didn't see anything in this thread about the jag cdi. This thread is about the usefulness of the H/D cdi to improve a regular everyday m/b as well as performance machines.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
2door wants to ban me for sarcasm now.
Since you don't seem to be man enough to respond to my private message warning and elected to bring it out here in the public forum I'll let the other members see what I told you. I said that if you don't curtail the sarcastic remarks to other members that I will ban you and this time it won't be temporary and you won't come back using an alternate username. Is that clear enough for you, Sublunacy?

Take your anti-American rants, comments and innuendo where it might be appreciated. We don't want or need it here.

My apologies to Maniac for the friction in your thread.

Tom