Getting rid of my whizzer

GoldenMotor.com
You can upgrade without a workshop & fancy tools, but would require minimum mechanical skills.

Upgraded motor would at least double the original power, but would cost a minimum of $400.00.

Parts are becomming scarce to upgrade motor.

Have fun,

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Whizzers have been around so long that there must be something available like the shift kits used on China girl motors or a CVT.

Whizzer tried the CVT and the results are evident. The Ambassador II and the NE-r adapted the CVT from the GY6 and the results were a major failure [I get calls everyday concerning the poorly working CVT].

The vintage Whizzer company also tried multi-speed drives and met with similar results. The 2 speed Bi-Matic was released in the late 40's and was quickly discontinued.

I have watched many adapt CVTs [Comet, Max Torque, etc] over the years with the same failure rate. The Whizzer just doesn't need anything other than a good single speed automatic clutch. The majority of my new edition Whizzers exceed 60 MPH [some over 70 MPH]using a single speed and is way too fast for a bicycle.

In the end it goes back to "why fix it if it ain't broke".

Have fun,

Last edited:

tomebaden

Jul 2, 2011
Loma linda ca
Now I am surprised, I know those engines are 138cc, and whizzer uses those huge belt pulleys on the spokes I would have guessed they pulled hills well. hmm!

The vintage Whizzers do well on most hills, whereas the new Edition Whizzer, might need a good run to make it over some hills. Reason is Torque!!

The ratio is much lower than you would guess [many call lower... higher, and higher lower].

When I use the term "lower" I mean the number is lower... example vintage Whizzers final ratio is 9.14861860908223701 X 1 [50.72574 MPH @ 6000 RPMs]. As you can see the motor only needs to turn 6000 RPMs to do 50 MPH, and the motor can be easily made to reach 6000 RPMs. The vintage Whizzers have a lot of low end torque for seveal reason, camshaft design, flat head motor, ignition timing etc. The vintage Whizzer motors pull well from a stop and cruise at a nice RPM [4200 RPMs = 35.5 MPH].

The primary reason the CVT doesn't work well on the Whizzer, also has to do with exessive flywheel action and crankshaft stress. More than once I watched a Whizzer on a DYNO test only to view the CVT, flywheel, and assorted parts traveling down the road like small missles. In all cases the CVT is too wide and makes the motor way too wide. Seems like a sin to make a very thin 4 stroke motor [Whizzer] and then hang massive parts on the drive sde.

Newer motor seems to trade bottom end torque for higher RPMs, as an example the HS motor we supply in our 49 CC kit is shipped with a 15.48 ratio, however the motor redline is 7800 RPMs and doesn't produce massive torque at lower RPMs. The numbers will show the 49 CC 4 stroke motor must turn 7100 RPMs to equal the same approximate speed of 35.5 MPH.

It all in the "gearing". When I raced motorcycles the winner was almost always the one with the correct gearing [I sure knew how to gear my bikes correctly, so guess who won often..LOL].

Have fun,

Last edited:

tomebaden

Jul 2, 2011
Loma linda ca
A 15.48 ratio? is that what the 4g t-belt drive is? with a (44T) sprocket?

Re:CVT You have seen the whizzer motors break up on dyno tests?

I didnt know they had a CVT, I was wondering why they had two pulleys before going out to the wheel.

Does There CVT work like the Comet torque converter? They have a whizzer over at the honda dealer in town I should go look at it again because I am thinking about buying one for $1000 with 130 miles on it.

I am frustrated with the HT motors (not the 4 stroke you sell) because I know it wont last long. The HS motor I would have purchased already but since the bike I have to motorize is an OCC stingray I don't think I could keep my peddles which I need.

Atlanta CPR

Aug 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
As you guys know, I'm having work done to my whizzer. I can't wait until it's back together and running like a Quenton Whizzer..wee.
I really want it to be bullet proof, because, I'm in talks with Helmutt about a frame. I will be getting rid of the original 1999 whizzer frame.

Hi Tomebaden,

We build the best 4 stroke kit on the market, and it sure isn't a 4G. We use Amrican parts & mfg. and is way ahead of any Chinese made drive system.

I have seen many try to adapt a CVT to Whizzer motors. And watched them all fail.

The last bike produced by the American Whizzer company employed a CVT drive [NE-r and Ambassador II]. They used a modified drive system [copy of the GY6 drive]. I get calls every week asking for help and where to get a new belt [who knows].

A special issue must be considered when adapting a CVT drive to a Whizzer, how are ya gonna start the motor? The Ambassador is electric start, whereas the NE-r isn't. Because you need to pedal start the Whizzer a stock comet or Max Torque CVT won't work, because it acts as a clutch when the belt is completly loose, and as the motor revs it closes the front pulley and engages the belt. Problem is how to make the motor turn to start it with a loose belt. The NE-r starts wth the belt tight and adds a second cent. clutch on the primary output. If you hang enough parts on the drive it becomes a complete mess, as more items to adjust the bigger the problems.

I have a stock Ambassador [version one with the automatic clutch], and when run against the Ambassadoe II [CVT drive], it is similar to Volkswagon against a Corvette. Bikes are identical except for the drive system. Because the Whizzer isn't a fast reving motor, my Ambassador is long gone while the CVT version is still trying to get the drive to start changing the ratios.

Before you plunk down a $1000.00, make sure you understand it will need upgraded! ALL new edition Whizzers need modifications to make them durable.

1999 to 2004 [approx. $400 to $500]
2005 to 2006 [approx $250.00]
2007 to 2008 [approx. $300.00]
Late 2008 to 2009 [who knows]
Add another $125 if automatic clutch [all models]

Once upgraded, becomes "bullet proof" and works like it should. I have several with well over 6000 miles each and never need to work on them. My 1999 was modified in late 2004 and haven't had to touch the motor since.

Is difficult to use a 4 stroke on the OCC bike because of space.

Have fun,

Last edited:

tomebaden

Jul 2, 2011
Loma linda ca
Thats awsome, thanks Now I recognize your Company, you make the EZMATIC they sell at blowbyumotors. Yes I was going to buy one of those if I got the HS 4stroke, I do remember going to your site a few weeks ago. I probably put a link to your engine Drive kit on my facebook page. I liked the ezmatic also because it has parts you can replace yourself.

As for this whizzer I am thinking about I dont know yet what year it is. I was going to bone up a little on the models and then call and ask them what year and model and then search a little. I am surprised at how rare these bikes are. I would expect more people to be selling them.

I was wondering about the EZMATIC or do you call it the Q-matic now? Do they only come with pulleys to fit a 5/8th? And if so would it be simple enough to put pulleys for a 3/4" ?

Be sure to contact me about your Whizzer purchase, as I can easily supply you with important information.

Our current production drive is called the "Q-Matic", and the earlier drives were called "Silent Power" [less than 100 produced].

You are correct in stating that most of the parts used in the Q-Matic are available locally [pulleys, belt, bearings, bolts & nuts, etc.] if needed. The Q-Matic is designed to fit hundreds of 4-stroke motors [not all, but most], including motors with a 1/2", 5/8" 3/4", and 1" crankshafts. Just need to order with optional primary pulley size.

The most common current usage are the HS or Honda 49 CC 4-strokes, but running a close second is the Q-Matic used on the HF 79CC motor. Our engineering department is currently making templates to fit the Q-Matic on the new HF 99CC motor, and will soon be available.

Have fun,

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
AAH Quenton! The new HF 99cc Thats what Ive been searching this forum for all afternoon. Any updates? Projections? Conjecture? ( OOps partial thread jack. Sorry )

tomebaden

Jul 2, 2011
Loma linda ca
I too would like to know more of these HF motors, I googled them back when you mentioned them but I was unable to find information on them.

What means HF?