Clutch slip

GoldenMotor.com

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
So my motor was running good and getting better as it is getting broke in. It had to sit for a couple of weeks while I was trying to get a good wheel on it. I put another cheap wheel on the back and went for a ride and right away new something was different but I did not change nothing. The clutch started slipping as soon as I took off. If I accelerated slowly it did it less and at speed it did not deem to be slipping it actually went faster than it had before. Could the pucks have become glazed, could something have loosened up and not allowing it to fully engage? What should I check first?

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
This link should help. The motor seaming to be faster was your clutch acting like a centrifugal clutch letting the motor get into its power band a little sooner is all. YOUR CHINA PUCK CLUTCH IS NOT DESIGNED FOR THIS. Assuming that is what you have here. Your clutch pucks will wear out way to soon. I suspect you just need to mildly tighten your flower nut. http://motorbicycling.com/f4/clutch-cable-clutch-adjusting-procedures-22726.html

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
The gasket on the clutch cover is not important you will do fine without it and it is totally reusable.

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
What size bolts will work for replacing the stock screws that suck and are stuck so I will have to dremel them off? Now I think I might need to replace something on the output shaft it has been loud since the beginning but now it is squeaking a little when I pull the clutch handle all the way in, it does not squek when it is in the clutch stop position. I am wondering if I can grease what ever is making the noise I am pretty shure it is probably a cheap bearing and or had no grease in it. Thanks for your help so far goat

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
What size bolts will work for replacing the stock screws that suck and are stuck so I will have to dremel them off? Now I think I might need to replace something on the output shaft it has been loud since the beginning but now it is squeaking a little when I pull the clutch handle all the way in, it does not squek when it is in the clutch stop position. I am wondering if I can grease what ever is making the noise I am pretty shure it is probably a cheap bearing and or had no grease in it. Thanks for your help so far goat
Just go to a hard ware store to match your bolts up. To get your stubborn hardware loose you may want something like this. Adnetsales Impact Screw Driver Socket Tool Set Loosen Bolts Nuts

Here is another read for you. Impact driver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A guy can get by with out this tool however the major criteria here is a screw driver that matches the screw very well. Then just give the back of the screw driver a gentle but firm whack with a hammer. It does not need the whack of Godzilla yet it still needs to be a firm whack. Then try to take the screw out it should come right out. This relieves the tension on the bolt threads.

The clutch gears on the right side of the motor need a small amount of grease [bearing grease] from time to time. Small amount putting a great big gob in only makes a mess as it will fly off the gears any way . Just enough to dress them like the amount of maby two marble size globs in about two spots.

Your left side of your motor is the clutch actuator side. When it goes dry it will squeal like a pig. Take the clutch actuator cover off. There is a rod and little ball bearing in the motor. No biggie if the bearing stays inside but watch in case it rolls out. This to me is prolly your squealing noise. Put your wheel bearing grease liberally on the end of it that goes in the motor and the rest of the adjacent moving parts. I bet the clutch gets quiet after this.

Last edited:

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
Thanks you guys I found a hardware store that's been here in Corvallis for 100 years they got everything I am hoping they will have good bolts I want to put high grade bolts and head studs on this motor What hardness grade would you guys suggest and again thanks for the help