clutch stuck AGAIN..

GoldenMotor.com

TNault

Feb 2, 2011
Florida
ok so i did all the clutch procedures i was told.. with the flower nut and the cables.. it worked for 2 days but now its doing it again.. am i going to have to keep playing with the flower nut or is there a permanent fix for this? the clutch arm goes all the way in like its suppost to but somethings not right.. when i take the flower nut off and put it back on its fine but after a while it just sticks again..

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Take off the clutch lever and have a look at the metal pin and ball. See if they are carved in or dented or anything.
On the pin, as you use it, you will find the end which makes contact with the ball will dent in, and the side which makes contact with the lever will have carved or scratched and all.

If this is the case, then you need to replace them. If the ball is still spherical, and the pin in good condition with flat sides, then it's something else.

But in accordance to before, my guess is poor quality pin or ball so they are wearing out quickly, requiring you to constantly tighten up the clutch.

Once you have checked them, or replaced them, check the other side. Take the flower nut out, the cover, and spring. Make sure it's all in good condition. Check for any foreign objects, and put it back again.

Once you have the flower nut on and all, check the clutch cable to make sure its tight.

My guess is poor quality pin/ball, or somethings broken inside causing it to not function correctly after a while, where removing the nut helps loosen the problem or whatever it is, but as you run, if there's a piece stuck, it eventually just rides back in again and jams or whatnot.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Is there a lock screw on your flower nut? There should be. If it is missing then that's your problem.
By the way, are you the member who replaced the ball bearing with sling shot ammo? I can't remember who that was several days ago. If it was you, maybe that ball is too soft. Sorry if I have you mixed up with someone else.
Tom

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
I forgot about those little parts like the lock screw.

For TNault, that's the little screw which goes into the clutch plate, between the groves of the flower nut. Keeps the flower nut from becoming tighter or loose.

spideyman

Aug 29, 2010
ontario
ok I did all the adjustments too but my clutch was loose from the factory inside the case, it is possible to tighten it without tearing it down if its not too loose, mine couldnt be as I needed 3 full turns on the shaft which is unheard of so mine must have been a monday motor lol hope this helps!!

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
Monday motor? LOL We call ours Friday motors since everyone wants to get out of work for the weekend; typical aussie blokes at the pub. LOL

Can you please elaborate on it being loose?
Do you mean it's very easy to pull the lever, lack of feedback tension?

Here's all the various clutch information you'll need:
http://motorbicycling.com/f30/animated-view-motorized-bicycle-clutch-assembly-8939.html
http://motorbicycling.com/f39/adjusting-clutchs-spring-more-tension-8392.html

But if anything, it may just be you haven't tied down the cable enough.

Have your clutch disengaged, out, put the wire through all the springs and holes as you'd need, push the clutch lever up as far as you can, without actually pushing it in (engaging), so just at the starting point, pull the wire through it as hard as possible to make sure you have all slack out, put the nut on and you should be good.

If that's not the loose clutch you're talking about, it may have something to do with the inside which hopefully the above threads may help; and someone else more experienced here. :p

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Cable slipping in the cable stop? Also, check the flat on the clutch arm- where it pushes on the rod, maybe that's wearing rapidly.