G4 transmission

GoldenMotor.com

Zev0

May 18, 2009
Rio Grand Valley
The belt and gear look very similar to the GEBE system. I know that in AU you can get a knockoff of the GEBE system too. I believe that I've heard reports that it's not as reliable as the original GEBE though.

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
Nice find VOOODOOOU, it looks like Don Grubee is useing all the parts off the viza motors site with a few additional machined parts of his own.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Are you thinking about making one vooodooou? Or just making an observation?

Belt drives are utilized in many apps and no sense reinventing the wheel; they are, of course, adapting already existing parts. Trick is, this stuff, if not in the same factories, is being manufactured in the same regions of China; they can cheaply have the specs of their product altered to suit their needs. This alteration may or may not be apparent upon visual inspection (just 'cause they look the same....), furthermore, they may or may not be alterable to the end user in the way that they were to Grubee once mfg. is complete.

I only say this because, yes, w/ off the shelf parts, it is definately possible to make a working transmission. Firebelly and EZ do, Dax and Gebe I assume do. But it's the non off the shelf parts that all of these contain that take the effort to engineer, and therefore, make it so that if the end user manufactures one it is entirely more expensive (or time consuming) than just buying one.

I fully encourage everyone who wants to, to do so. The experience gained is likely to be immense, even when engineering/ reengineering just a few parts. You may have great ideas to offer! I guess just be realistic about your ability and resources to do so.

Last edited:

vooodooou

Jul 26, 2009
usa
i am wanting to build a belt drive to jack shaft shift bike.
i just need the parts for the motor to a jack shaft. jackshaft will be welded to seat tube over to chain sprocket which will use sick bike parts too.

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Sounds cool! By the time you get to the pedal crank you need a 35:1 reduction i.e. motor max's out at 7000 rpm's, cranks chainrings are spinnin' 200rpm's. This'll give you 30 ish mph in middle gear.

This means your belt side needs to be at least 6.5:1 or for a 20 tooth belt gear you need 130 tooth driven or you can go 20 to 70/20 to 70 w/ a 2 shaft trans. (3 counting the motor shaft).

vooodooou

Jul 26, 2009
usa
tyrslider i am leaning more like this bike this guy built.
Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

only i am going to use a pocket bike cvt transmission flip the motor (hs 4 stroke) around to where the rope start is on the left side, using a sportster swing arm and wheel.

i worked for Roadmaster bicycle co in Olney IL from 1980 to 1986 in the fab department we build the hole bike from rim to frame. i done most all the jobs from lacing wheels to weld frames to set up auto welders and setting up 100 ton presses. then they started buying china frames then bike.

cvt trans

X-2, X-8, R-6 Pocket Bike CVT Transmission with cover - eBay (item 150362295115 end time Aug-27-09 17:36:04 PDT)

i like custom stuff. i don't like meeting my self on the road.

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It would be cool to build one wirh a Metzler or Avon 250, 280, or 300 rear tire.
Find some cheap wide rear tire kit for a Dyna or FLT/ FLH off of flea-bay to get the swing arm. I bet you could make one too.
You could probibly find a nice billet rear wheel or a DNA brand laced wheel on flea-Bay too.
Craig's List is good too.
Now you got the gears in my head spinning....hmmmmmmm.....
280 tire, sprotor brake, 23" front wheel.....(c)

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Not big on choppers but the guy in that link did very nice work. Sounds like a plan, those cvt's are bullet proof. And you'll have room in the width dept if your going chopper!

vooodooou

Jul 26, 2009
usa
tyrslider i am not a chopper fan too. but i like bobers. here is some pics of my $25 upgrade. i picked up a huffy at a yard sale switched out everything to cruiser frame from the mountain bike frame, rides so much better. smoother and more stable at high speed lol 30 mph high speed lol.

Attachments

broHSI

Jul 27, 2009
USA, CA
tyrslider i am not a chopper fan too. but i like bobers. here is some pics of my $25 upgrade. i picked up a huffy at a yard sale switched out everything to cruiser frame from the mountain bike frame, rides so much better. smoother and more stable at high speed lol 30 mph high speed lol.
Nice looking bike but,
Why did you drill a hole through your seat and down tube to install your engine mount?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very Nice Vooodooo. Was thinking about "L" beams like that. Any signs of stress at all?

vooodooou

Jul 26, 2009
usa
the mount just would not fit no way. i guess it was to fit a Schwinn bicycles only

Dan no no yet i am going to redo it this winter.
i think i am going to weld two tabs to frame shorten the L brackets and bolt them to the tabs with some kind of rubber mount. and shape them and drill lighting holes in them to look more professional. and weld up the holes lol and new paint.

you know Dan i can see a whole stable of MB in the future. lol all kinds of ideas.

Last edited:

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Yeah, I like Bobbers a quite a bit better. It's amazing how much smoother the cruiser frames ride than v frames!

The mounts that the clone kits come w/ are garbage. That's way stronger if it's snugged up on both sides. If not done in this case it would do good to use a long bolt w/ a shoulder that goes all the way through. Better, to use a bushing just long enough. Best (if your going to drill) is to sleeve the hole and weld, or better still braze the sleeve in place.

Lots of people ride those "Schwinn" Girder forks around and they utilise the same mfg techniques. They even use 'em for pivots.

glacknoid

Oct 22, 2008
robbinsdale MN
Tyrslider: I have the schwinn point beach cruiser with fenders on the front and rear. Will I be able to keep the rear fender on with your tran and shift kit?