HF 79cc Flywheel Question

GoldenMotor.com

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
After extensive research and phone calls, I know that there is not an aftermarket flywheel for the 79cc.

I live in Central Florida where it is always disgustingly humid, thereby, my flywheel is nice and rusty (surface rust). Is there anything I can do to improve the performance of my flywheel, such as: lightening it, etc, etc, etc, or any tips or tricks?

And what is the easiest way to clean it up?

Thanks guys!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Mike, I'm sure there are better ways to clean up surface rust but I have found that 2 stroke exhaust sludge works great. Just rub some on with your finger. Seems to be the perfect amount of abrasive and oils as it cleans.

Sounds nutz but give it a try.

Last edited:

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I recently cleaned my flywheel on my flathead, and it made a huuuuuge difference, lol. I used a wire brush (copper wire, steel is probably much better and I will get one soon, but it's what I had handy), went around the whole flywheel, turning it by hand and brushing off as much rust as I could. Then I wiped with a sponge and dried with a paper towel. Let me put it this way. I didn't think I had my idle turned up real high, and before I cleaned the flywheel it just kinda chug-chugged at idle. After cleaning the flywheel, it was revving so high on idle I had to turn it down quite a bit. That's how much difference cleaning a rusty flywheel can make. I now plan to get a steel brush asap and clean it once a month. I could not believe the difference it made.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Remove the flywheel, protect the magnet with some sort of cover and sand blast the cast iron. Give it a clear coat and re-install.

Or you can use rust buster or navel jelly to remove the rust, wash and dry then give it a clear coat to prevent it from rusting again.

Last edited:

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Try Permatex rust removal spray. I found it at Pep Boys. I bought an old motorcycle that had a lot of rusted chrome. I mean every bit of chrome was rusted. I tried navel jelly and it didn't work at all. I sprayed The Permitax on carefully. Don't get it on the paint or rubber. I brushed it on in tight area's near paint. Anyway I hosed it off and 90% of the rust came with just a rinse. I spot cleaned the stubborn area's a couple of times washed it with soap and water, and it looked great. Easiest rust removal I have ever done. As Sotto suggested clear coat it.