Special Bike Tools

GoldenMotor.com

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
I'm looking for suggestions on specialty bike tools that are needed to be able to maintain, and/or work on my bike. I have a good compliment of automotive tools, but nothing that is bicycle specific. Besides regular automotive tools, what would I need if I wanted to disassemble a beach cruiser or a "hybrid" type of bike?

Thanks for any suggestions, and links are always appreciated.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Think Metric, first of all. Almost without exception any bike you buy today will have metric fasteners.
As for bike specific tools, cone wrenches come to mind. These are flat, thin open end wrenches designed to fit the bearing adjustment, cone, nuts on bike wheels. Another one will be the proper size crank nut wrench. This is used to disassemble or tighten the bearing nuts on the crank, (pedals) Many use a spanner nut in addition to a hex nut acting as a lock or jam nut.

The rest is pretty standard, screwdrivers, Allen wrench set, again in metric size.

That should get you started as far as tools needed for maintenance. When you start building custom bikes the requirements go up.
Good luck. Hope this helps.

Tom

Otto

Nov 23, 2012
Forney, TX
Think Metric, first of all. Almost without exception any bike you buy today will have metric fasteners.
As for bike specific tools, cone wrenches come to mind. These are flat, thin open end wrenches designed to fit the bearing adjustment, cone, nuts on bike wheels. Another one will be the proper size crank nut wrench. This is used to disassemble or tighten the bearing nuts on the crank, (pedals) Many use a spanner nut in addition to a hex nut acting as a lock or jam nut.

The rest is pretty standard, screwdrivers, Allen wrench set, again in metric size.

That should get you started as far as tools needed for maintenance. When you start building custom bikes the requirements go up.
Good luck. Hope this helps.

Tom
Thanks Tom. Any suggestions on where to get these tools, and are there any particular brands to stay away from? I'm not opposed to purchasing a larger kit than I need right now as I find it to be more economical than buying individual tools.

I've been bitten pretty bad with these motorized bicycles, and would probably want to build a custom at some point. Advanced tool suggestions would be welcomed. Especially the ones that you just can't do the job without.

Thanks again,

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Otto,

Most any bicycle shop will be able to provide you with the tools I mentioned above. As for brand names or quality, that's always a gamble but they aren't high tech stuff. Just steel and in some cases aluminum that will probably suffice unless you plan to make a living rebuilding bikes.

As for custom fabrication tools; the list is endless. Metal working requires saws, grinders, welders and in some cases lathes and milling machines. It all depends on how involved you want to get and what you're willing to spend on tools. Generally speaking I'd want a 4.5" side grinder, a metal cutting saw, a Dremel or the equilavent, grinding wheels, drill press and a bench grinder with a stone and a wire brush plus a buffing wheel if you're into making pretty stuff. You could buy tools until you're dead and still need more when it comes to custom metal work. English Wheeling machines, TIG and MIG welders, Crimping and shrinking tools....it's never ending.

I'm sure others will chime in with their recommendations so watch for them here.

Good luck.

Tom