4 stroke Panther build

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I didn't do a thread on the conversion. I had figured to do something later after I have the in frame tank finished welding, painted and cleaned up. I can take a couple photos of it as it is looking grubby and much ridden if you want.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I was tempted to at least wipe it down with a rag, but it is what it is... beast up and dirty. The makeover is coming when I have something else to ride and can repaint this Panther. Next week I should be able to get the in frame tank finished up and paint that/. Then a new "identity as an American Flyer and next winter a variable speed transmission, I think...

Next up I'll show you the engine mounting.
(cont.)
SB

Attachments

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Sorry for the delay. Internet trouble and then a few hours of fishing

Here are photos showing the exhaust manifold and the engine mount. I used the two cast iron end pieces from the kit and tried using the flat plate from the kit, but it was too stretched out and wanted to sag, so instead I cut two pieces of angle iron, drilled holes for the engine and in the other face of the angle, drilled holes for the cast iron end pieces. Works fine.
SB

Attachments

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
I like it! Very neat easy way of mounting it.

Does anyone know how to get a Worksman wheel centered in the monark forks? Mine seems to sit offset to the side with the brake arm.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
silverbear hard to keep em clean when you ride them. right
Boy, isn't that the truth. I don't have a garage so just cover at night with a tarp, ride in the rain sometimes (last week 12 miles in a downpour of cold rain... not fun) and to check my minnow traps is a mile or two down a gravel logging road. Add in a little oil spitting out where the governor control was and things get messy unless you stay on top of it. I have loose wires from when my sidewall generator burned up, this and that "I'll deal with later when I do the makeover" and before you know it the machine looks ratty and uncared for. That's why I like having a "for nice" bike to ride on special occasions and baby and another daily rider to beat the p... out of. Sometimes it's the daily rider that is actually your favorite bike. I do love my Panther. It will look good again... for awhile.
SB

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
There's usualy some slack in the axle holes. Have you tried loostening the nuts and physical holding the tire to the other side while snugging them down to see what happens?

If that doesn't work, I would use a round file and work on the axle hole until the alignment is right.

WaterDries

Apr 5, 2011
Utah
It's possible that it isn't the fork but maybe the way the wheel is laced. If you look straight down on the tire, does the hub stick out more on one side than the other?

MotorizedEtc.

Jul 10, 2010
Fremont, CA
Just got done with it at a bike shop. Weird problem, it is slightly dished to the side but the major problem is the axle itself. The axle has a spacer on the pedal side pushing the wheel over to the motor side. The axle is cartridge style so it cannot be adjusted left or right and could not even be flipped the other way. So now I had to use two smaller spacers one on the left and one on the right to get it closer to center. Luckily there is just enough axle left on the motor side for the washer and nut to thread on and a lot of axle on the pedal side I have to cut off. The shop thinks the wheel or axle might have been for a rear wheel but its rather strange since others have done this before with no problem that I have read. If the axle was slightly shorter I would have an expensive paper weight in the shape of a Worksman wheel. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Now on to the engine part.

Last edited: