WWII WLA tribute w/sidecar

GoldenMotor.com

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Well, I started this one cuz Im waiting on parts for the others. It will look like the old WWII harley. My 74 y.o. father went and got his motorcycle endorsement, so he can ride it legally. He has already laid claims to it. He wanted one with a sidecar so he could take his girl friend out riding. The rims are early 60,s Honda CB 360 so is the front end. Its got a 125cc 4 speed manual clutch lifan engine. Itll have a hand shifter on the side of the tank, foot clutch on the floorboards. Brakes will be located on the handlebars.

Attachments

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Heres a couple pics of tonights progress. I got the lower frame tubes in. Duel tubes under the engine w/single tube in front. Bottom and rear motor mounts, Ill get the top mount tomorrow. Even managed to save the front fender, it was SMASHED at both ends. It seems to be moving right along.

Attachments

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I ve got this old hide hanging on a wall in a spare room. I saw a post from SilverBear where he re did a saddle seat he had so, Im going follow his lead. Ill do the seat and a set of covers for the brake levers w/6in. fringe. Ill also use it in the for the interior of the side car. Im going to modify the tank by connecting the 2 halves with a piece of sheet 4.5 inches wide the length of the tank so I can put the speedo in the tank then Ill cover the sheet with some hide as well

Attachments

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A TroubleHead tank for $104? Definately test it for leaks before painting and be darned sure to reinforce the front mounting tabs, top and bottom. On alot of the newer knockoff tanks, they loooove to crack.

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
Thanks for the heads up I planned on using tank liner and i will connect the halves to make a one piece tank , and Ill check out the mounting tabs. thanks agian, GearNut

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
A TroubleHead tank for $104? Definately test it for leaks before painting and be darned sure to reinforce the front mounting tabs, top and bottom. On alot of the newer knockoff tanks, they loooove to crack.
Since GN mentions about integrity of a tank, and I know its on order, I want to mention this:

I checked out the site. I saw that they sell mount kits for the tanks they sell. The mounts look like maybe they have some black rubber stuff that might be to reduce vibration from engine that travels through the frame to the tank/s.

If making your own mounts might also do this. I rode a Kawasaki 350 two stroke triple road bike back in the 70's, but don't remember any special mounts like that.

Just a thought.

PS there are threads on reducing vibration on the bike by adding to engine mounts rubber part. It is debated if it helps or hinders eliminating vibration transmitted to the rest of the frame. So I'm not the expert, just throwing that out there too.

MT

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
MT I was and am a big fan of the kaw triples. The 750 H2 was my first drag bike man that thing was quick I ran one with the 833 kit with 33mm smooth bores and ex pipes 9 sec flat in the 1/4 @ 134mph, God I miss my youth

RicksRides

Feb 22, 2012
osceola IN
I have been looking at some rubber pieces to lessen the vibration. Never used a tank from this maker before Its actually the 3.5 gallon and not the 5. I posted the wrong tank link same maker tho. Im kinda antsy I want to get to work on both those builds always seem to be waiting on parts

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The Shovelhead tanks are NOT rubber mounted. They rely on precise mounting/ shimming for a solid and reliable life. Any form of a bending or twisting load on the tabs will cause failure. This is not a design flaw as when done correctly they will outlast the lifespan of the bike.
Evolution and newer tanks are rubber mounted. The rubber mounts they offer are most likely for the Evolution tanks (haven't seen their ad for them).
The rubber mounts are not compatible without fabricating/ modding the Shovelhead mounting tabs.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The KC International Store Front from Ebay I looked at and cloicked on Gas Tanks and Caps.

http://stores.ebay.com/KC-Internati...?_fsub=10&_sid=67062339&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

Then part way down the page mounts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAS-TANK-MO...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item460327028f

I really don't know what goes with what, but my self had never seen these vibration type rubber mounts. Big Harley Twin mounts pictured there show the rubber parts.

GN I suspect you have more time around these so here are what I saw anyhow.

MT

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
The ebay gas tank mounting kit is for Evo style gas tanks (flat side style).
It is intended to be used for custom mounting on a new, tab-less frame or as a weld on conversion for older style frames. Their statement of "Fits early style big twin frames" is not exactly true.
It will fit if one is willing to chop off the original factory mounts (sacrilege!). It in no way will simply bolt on.