board track electric bike

GoldenMotor.com

wyatt_1st

Jul 25, 2009
austin texas
has anyone built a boardtrack style bike with the tank and all the proper looks but in a electric version instead of a gas motor? im new here and a lifetime motorcycle rider. im really blown away by some of the boardtrack motorized bikes on this site. i just dont know where to start would one hub motor work would 2 be better will batteries be able to me hidden in the tank basically has anyone tried this and have pictures. im looking at starting with a new felt chief or 1903 model of bike from them and modifying accordingly as ive built a few motorcycles so i have above average skills and tools im posting a picture i found on this site( not my bike) of wha im trying to do but want it electric any thoughts input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated distance is a desire say 25 miles top speed is not but i wouldnt hate it if it cruised faster than i thought 20Mph? also im not trying to do it on a budget but expect to spend $1200.00 in parts Minus the bike . so how about some of you pros educate me ! by the way great site. thanks in advance ....wyatt

Attachments

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If I had the skill, I would do it with a hub motor even though I have come to hate mine. You could probably build a lith battery pack inside the gas tank/.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Wyatt, the bike you showed is made by Fire Bikes here in Canada. Google him and see if he has any. When I looked at one I think it was $1300 US. That model was made for an electric motor. If you can wait a bit we are all hoping that Workman Bicycles is going to make a frame that will have a looped down tube and a couple of builders on the site are talking about making tanks.
Check the board track racer thread and you will see Crazy Horse who is spearheading the drive to have the frames made.
Workman bicycles has a thread that you can sign on and let Workman know that you are interested.CH explains it all.

Welcome and enjoy.

Steve.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
!HOW! Crazy Horse here Wyatt, just wanted to say that picture you posted is actually a Worksman modified Industrial Newspaper Boy Cruiser.

Sorry Fasteddy, you must have uploaded the wrong pic not trying to aggravate you just wanted to make sure we are looking at the same picture, Sam owner of firebikes, does build a version of the Excelsior-Henderson but I don't think picture Wyatt posted is the one you thought it was, see Sams Excelsior below.

How do I know this well I own two firebikes board track racers, that I purchased this year, one is the bare metal one on the firebikes website which has an Electric front hub battery cells were in the gas tank and the other one is a red board track racer frame & tank only, Firebikes Owner Sam Mckay is a good guy he will tell what he can do for you if you email or call him Wyatt.

I'll post a couple of Sam's bikes here, for your enjoyment Wyatt!

Peace Crazy Horse.

Wyatt, the bike you showed is made by Fire Bikes here in Canada. Google him and see if he has any. When I looked at one I think it was $1300 US. That model was made for an electric motor. If you can wait a bit we are all hoping that Workman Bicycles is going to make a frame that will have a looped down tube and a couple of builders on the site are talking about making tanks.
Check the board track racer thread and you will see Crazy Horse who is spearheading the drive to have the frames made.
Workman bicycles has a thread that you can sign on and let Workman know that you are interested.CH explains it all.

Welcome and enjoy.

Steve.

Attachments

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Crazy horse-- Quite alright. I do stand corrected. Saw the Excelsior X on the tank and didn't look a whole lot closer.
I wanted to buy the bike you bought but then my turn at the hospitial came up and you don't say wait. Not when your in the pain I was in.
Now it's waiting for Workman.

Steve.

wyatt_1st

Jul 25, 2009
austin texas
Thanks Chief and Steve this is the type of info im looking for . i did the request at workmans and i hope that works for everyones sake ditto with the tanks .also i will look at the site you suggested steve and talk to him. while i may be new to bicycles im well versed in building my own motorcycles so i have a pretty good idea what i want but not the practical knowledge so im grateful to those that share and to the site. you have to love gearheads ,always a helpful bunch as everbody has had help along the way. I just wanted to put that out there as i dont always think in the box but people love my bikes . thanks again lets keep this thread going! i was on another site motored bikes seems to be a real interest in the boardtracks there as well. while i was surfing i found and interesting frame and tank all one unit with petcock gas cap etc from ampt bikes anyone seen it ? perfect board track material the right look . anyways thanks again guys ................wyatt ps here is a picture of my bike i built in my garage

Attachments

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Wyatt--Glad I could help. Really a sweet bike and your Ranchero is alright too. The best part of not thinking inside the box is that no one can pull up beside you and say look I have one too.
Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

Steve.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
!HOW! Crazy Horse here just wanted to say PANHEADS ARE BEAUTIFUL, it's my favorite engine that Harley-Davidson built, I used to have a 59 panhead on rigid paughco frame with girder springer up front, I'll try to find a picture of it & share it.

Wyatt, just in case I didn't thank you for supporting the Worksman Board Track Racer effort I will now, thank you for your participation with this endeavor!

Last time I checked at Worksman Discussion Board, we've had 20+ posts and over 250 views for Worksman to build the two versions of the Looped frame Bicycles, the Tall Cruiser & the Industrial Newspaper Boy Cruiser.

I am finalizing the measurements for both versions this week, and I will share them with those of you interested before submitting them to Worksman management, to keep all builder's in this I'm suggesting that the frames have their top horizontal tubes extended 6-1/2" inches.

When I say all builders in this I'm referring to builders who are using 4-stroke engines & 2-stroke's, I want this to benefit all builders not just one or the other.

Peace Crazy Horse.

P.S. FYI: Just thought I'd post the Tall Cruiser before and after Looped down tube modification, for Road Style Tribute builds & the Industrila Newspaper Boy Cruiser before and after Looped down tube modification for Board Track Racer Style Tribute Builds. So everyone can see the differences, between the two version's of Looped down tube bikes using a Tall Cruiser or Industrial Newspaper Boy Cruiser!

Thanks Chief and Steve this is the type of info im looking for . i did the request at workmans and i hope that works for everyones sake ditto with the tanks .also i will look at the site you suggested steve and talk to him. while i may be new to bicycles im well versed in building my own motorcycles so i have a pretty good idea what i want but not the practical knowledge so im grateful to those that share and to the site. you have to love gearheads ,always a helpful bunch as everbody has had help along the way. I just wanted to put that out there as i dont always think in the box but people love my bikes . thanks again lets keep this thread going! i was on another site motored bikes seems to be a real interest in the boardtracks there as well. while i was surfing i found and interesting frame and tank all one unit with petcock gas cap etc from ampt bikes anyone seen it ? perfect board track material the right look . anyways thanks again guys ................wyatt ps here is a picture of my bike i built in my garage

Attachments

wyatt_1st

Jul 25, 2009
austin texas
Those are great looking frames Chief but i have some thoughts as to the 61/2 stretch that seems like a lot and wonder how you came to that. in the motorcycle world length and heigth are critical too much of either makes it difficult or impossible for some vertically challenged riders.as for the look they are great. it seems workmans would be the best candidate to build the tanks as well they are obviouselt equipped to do so? just my humble opinion, but it would make a great package and one stop shopping . i beleive he could corner the market in this area with that approachand would help the boardtrack style immensely grow as many do not have the time resources or equipment to do this type of build.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
!HOW! Wyatt, the stretch that I was referring to is the top two horizontal bars maybe six & half inches might be to much I have to look at the measurements again to see if that is out of proportion for the frame.

Wyatt, the easiest way to see how these frames look is print yourself a black & white photo of the stock & modified Tall Cruiser & Industrial Newspaper Boy Cruiser, you know the wheels are 26" just go from there and you'll see that in order for the front wheel to clear the Looped frame version you have to extend the horizontal bars.

My reasoning for 6-1/2" inches is that if EPA ban's the china-girl 2-strokes in 2010, we can have the 4-stroke as an option to continue using the Worksman modified frames, the 4-strokes take up a lot of room.

If you have any suggestions by all means this Worksman frame project is for all forum members to participate in.

Peace Crazy Horse.