Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles

Motorized Tandems, Trikes and Recumbent Bicycles Trikes (tricycle) and recumbent bicycles can give the ultimate in comfort for cruising on long trips or just around town. Ad an engine and they will really turn some heads.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:55 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Default Space saver spares as wheel and tire for trikes

Has anyone thought about using space saver spare rims and tire for trikes?

I haven't looked at one for a while but I think they're DOT approved tires. Finding DOT tires for narrow tired motorized vehicles that qualify as motorcycles is a major issue, since bicycle tires don't qualify.

They also have flat tread sections so they have a great contact patch with the road. Motorcycle tires have near hemispherical treads which don't provide a great contact patch for three wheelers.

Space savers come with steel or metal rims which were meant to hold up a 1 ton to multi-ton vehicles. They're not going to flex when cornering on anything we're likely to use them as primary tires.

They're rated up to 50mph. A speed motorized bikes are not likely or legally supposed to come close to achieving.

In college in the late 80s I had a 1980 Datsun 200sx, it had 185/70-14s and had a space saver which I think was 90/170-18. It's been a long time.

The only problem might be finding a pair of the same size if they're from really old vehicles.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:04 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: Space saver spares as wheel and tire for trikes

There are a few fellas who have used space saver wheels and tires on their cycle cars. They seem to have worked out really well. Used with a differential rear end from a garden tractor and they should be great.

Steve.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:44 AM

Trouble is finding the old garden tractors with a differentials, and you need 2 to get the long shafts, so have long on both sides. Or you can get this one,and is the same. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...t+differential
With the differential both wheels pull, and when you turn one will slow and other speed up. With stander-ed trike only one wheel pulls, usually the right. When you pedal it pull to the right, and when you brake it pulls to the left. I have a heavy duty Worksman and does that without a motor, i sure wouldn't put a motor on without a differential. Just my experience....Keep in mind the wider the tire the harder to pedal, more contact .......Curt
Old 12-30-2016, 02:29 PM

Here is a link to sprockets for the differential Curt mentioned.

http://www.staton-inc.com/store/inde...arent=105&pg=1

Steve.