Not pretty, Not done

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
The h-bars & seat are temporary. However I have enough together for prelim pics. I did not attempt to make the frame(formerly a 24" girls frame) pretty as I am going to cover it with a fibre glass body & fenders.

It has a manual variable speed setup & a 3-1/2HP Tecumseh snow blower engine.

Shortened the frame 4 inches.

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It's crazy unique, Russ. I like it! Congratulations. Keep us informed.

I've been intrigued with the idea of belt drive for a while but being a China Girl fan it makes it a challenge.

Tom

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
It's crazy unique, Russ. I like it! Congratulations. Keep us informed.

I've been intrigued with the idea of belt drive for a while but being a China Girl fan it makes it a challenge.

Tom
I also like the C-girl engines. I don't modify them, just run them as is and enjoy them. Still running the first one I bought 4+ yrs ago, it does make more noise than it used too; but dosen't owe me anything!

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
You always build nice bikes.
I'll tell you Jay, the fibre glass body is a challange. I've done body work in the past but this free form will really test some skills. I have started the form but still a challange. The 100" of snow has screwed up my free time but hope to have it ready for your rally. The running portion is complete, that was the easy part. C U in Aug.

Jim

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Russ,
What type of form or base are you planning for the free form?

Have you ever tried glassing over a rabbit wire form? Rabbit wire, that screen with 1/4" weave can be easily bent/formed into any shape you can imagine. I have some photos of how I built a center console and dash for a hot rod. I could share those with you if you'd like to see how its done. I used glass mat and cloth over the wire form. The result is strong but reasonably lightweight.

Tom

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
Jim, having spent some time with you, you're the kinda guy I'd wanna be with when the stuff was hitting the fan. The fella I went into the Corps with wasn't much bigger than you but was a wrestler at Ohio State. He and I would have a go at each other from time to time and as long as I could keep the "little sh.." off me I was ok, but when he got a hold of me it was lights out.

Heck you only had to shovel a tunnel through it to get out!

Dan,
Always Faithful

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Looking great.

I'll tell you Jay, the fibre glass body is a challange. I've done body work in the past but this free form will really test some skills.
I have started the form but still a challenge.
With todays tank sealers all you need is a rough form and then tape up seems, the sealer will make you a solid tank with that.

The 100" of snow has screwed up my free time but hope to have it ready for your rally. The running portion is complete, that was the easy part. C U in Aug.

Jim
And here I was whining it dropped under ~80F (proper painting and curing temps for most things I do) and I got some rain sprinkles disrupting my current outdoor new tank work.

I don't have an indoor well vented and climate controlled place to paint or mess with caustic chemicals, I am at the mercy of the weather.

Just out of curiosity how do you deal with this indoors?

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Now that most of the snow is gone, I'm going to get back on this build. This is the first change I'm making even before completing the build. This is as far as I have gotten.

Attachments