Bored Rat Racer

GoldenMotor.com

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
well its official....i just payed for the dax gp50 (ktm clone). Hope i dont die or travel back in time because of the powerrrrr!!!

will put up many pics of build when it gets here!

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
I would sell the motor cheap, since is used and has its quirks. I would prefer to part it out, along with the go-fast bits, head, chamber, carb whatnot.

Dax sold me the motor hes been testing, im not sure if hes ok with me posting the price so id rather not, no offense.

Heres my bro's cafe we've been working on. Kinda pisses me off i have more money into my bike than he does haha (including the bike) just a lil reminder

Last edited:

haste

Aug 2, 2009
af
haha i feel ya!

I was going to build a 99cc racer...and for the prewar frame, disc wheelset, all other ods and ends such as rigid triple tree forks with disc brakes, it comes out at around 280-300 just to have a built frame with wheels and everything.

then another 350 for 99cc engine and parts..

ends up after its all said and done more than 500-600...

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
So i been kinda slacking on my bike lately. Its been rainy and i haven't been riding. I just got kinda burnt out...so i took a couple days off...

But after reading a couple good threads on here, seeing some realllly d*pe bikes. I'm back in it!

Started my sheet-metal tank today...

18g steel Mig welded.

Ive never made a gas tank before, and i dont have a jigsaw atm, so its been tricky. But i've welded things air-tight before so im not really worried about it leaking. I dont have a bung or petcock, im probably just gonna cannibalize a HT kit tank if i can find one cheap.

Hope you enjoy, i think its really gonna make the bike

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
The tank is looking good. That is a lot of progress for one day it took me a least one day to cut the pieces for my tank. However I tend to get sidetracked easily. This bike kinda reminds me of my old gx200 bike.

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
The tank is looking good. That is a lot of progress for one day it took me a least one day to cut the pieces for my tank. However I tend to get sidetracked easily. This bike kinda reminds me of my old gx200 bike.
Thanks, yea i woke up this morning, and said, "im gonna make a tank" so i attacked it. Made paper template, then used a angle grinder with a cutting blade and it made pretty short work of the cuts. Then just cleaned it all up with a bench grinder, tacked it up and voila.

I love that bike. I really dont know enough about cvt and j-shaft to mess with it. The dual bottom brackets was very clever. I've been more of a car-guy, but grew up riding dirt bikes, so alot of this shiz is new to me.

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
Well my GP50 showed up this morning, so i began teardown...Im kinda sad to see the china girl go, i put so much love into it. Everything you could do, i did...but, it still wasnt enough for me. On to bigger and better things...

This is a a beefy little motor, its gonna be a real tight fit, im pretty sure i have to get a small chain-ring AND wide pedal set to clear her, you gotta offset the motor pretty extreme, to get the chainline perfect...It will all be worth it

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
Got my motor mounted...

What an ordeal! This little thing is deceptively large, and i was having clearance issues everywhere. It was impossible to mount it "in the frame" so i have to move it as far back and up as possible otherwise the spark plug hit, or the on center exhaust hit or the chainring hit...It really was a pain in my arse. I got it to look halfway decent, but im not super happy with it. It will function but its really up to the pipe to get "the look" back...

HOWEVER, i test ran the motor, and let me tell you...this thing is scary...Ungodly loud, and the throttle response is INSTANTANEOUS, i mean dax claims 9hp, ktm rates their motor at 6hp...either way, i plan to dyno it when its done...but i think this thing will satisfy my need...for speed lol

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
PICS

Ok so here it is...you see what i mean i had to move it as far back as possible, the lower mount actually is behind the seat tube...

Here is the front mount pedestal

All grade 8 hardware...

I was concerned about strength of this design, but got it all fully welded today, and tightened the motor down...SH*T is BEEF! and the vibes, are really, really not bad...we'll see when i ride it, but just sitting there reving and idling, vibes are hardly noticeable...

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Motor looks awesome, that things gonna haul!!!

Are the front and rear engine mounting points offset, your front mount is in the center of the frame, while the rear mount sits beside the frame? Is the motor centered?

Im no engineer but id still make a flat steel triangle brace off the rear of the front mount just for peace of mind.

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
The mounts are offset, and the front mount is wider than the rear mounts

F Mount: 1 7/8"
R Mount: 1 1/2"

The rears are triangulated, twice...its a flat tab, with 2 triangles boxing it in...all welded to each other, and the frame...Like i said, Its BEEF, but we'll see how it goes

Oh i see what you mean, box in the front mount... well the pipe i used is .120 wall dom, scrap from the guys next door who use it to build sprint cars and dirt track bike frames. It should be sufficient.

Last edited:

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
Heres a funny story id thought id share...

Here is the front hub im going to try to make work.

1978 Yz80 dirtbike drum brake. Dirtbike motor dirtbike brakes, makes sense right? I got it for nothing, my brother had this laying around, it was in really rough shape, 30 years of abuse will do that.

SO I wanted to get it blasted. I called a local powder-coating place that will remain nameless...They wont touch anything for less than $50 is what I am told. I leave it with them, 3 days go by no word. I call them and they say "ohhh we have the wrong media right now, gotta wait till we switch."

I say "F*ck You"

Call up Kenny Brown of Brown's transmissions. He rebuilt my bro's transmission for his truck, and is a well known good guy. Ask him if he can blast it in his cabinet...He says Bring it by!

Well i go down there, Five minutes later he hands me a brand new looking part.

Im like "WOW! Thanks, how much?" He says, bring a 12pack of coke for his mechanic back . I say "Can do!"

So i brought a 12pack of coke for the mechanic, and a 6 pack of beer for the boss.

He's a good man, one of the few left

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Cool!!!! How big is the axle for that hub? Will it work with your fork or does it require some mods? Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
The axel is 7/16? its considerable larger. The forks will need mods, they have already been modded haha. I have a spare set just in case.

Right now im just trying to figure out all this wheel building nonsense, spoke length, lace patterns crap. No wonder no one wants to do this haha

Gotta lace this wheel, alter my pro-circuit pipe thats in the mail =D and get a 56t. Then ima ride this fuggin thing!

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
PICS

Ok so here it is...you see what i mean i had to move it as far back as possible, the lower mount actually is behind the seat tube...

Here is the front mount pedestal

All grade 8 hardware...

I was concerned about strength of this design, but got it all fully welded today, and tightened the motor down...SH*T is BEEF! and the vibes, are really, really not bad...we'll see when i ride it, but just sitting there reving and idling, vibes are hardly noticeable...
Just found this thread an WOW did that motor come with a shoehorn ? TALK ABOUT power to weight ratios !

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
UPDATE!!!!

OK so... got her mostly done. And here she it:

So, i made a really nice looking pipe. Out of a kx65 stock pipe, and it ran like a dog. so i read alot, then read some more, then slept on it...

I made THIS pipe out of a ktm50 Pro Circuit pipe with a custom head tube. Rode it today, and it runs MUCH better. With 9-40t gearing (way too tall) I hit 44mph (gps) with barely getting into powerband. 40+ on a bicycle is stupid fast, but the bike didnt feel like it was gonna fall apart.

I have the right sprocket being made, but its gonna take a while. But for now, im happy with her.