Currious mind requires answer to question.

GoldenMotor.com

marsrover

Mar 26, 2009
middle of nowhere
I need something along the folowing lines and wanted to know about how much this would run me.
45-50 mph
range of 100 miles
suspension

So how much is my insane dream going to cost?

marsrover

Mar 26, 2009
middle of nowhere
Ouch, I was looking at a 800w rear hub motor that says it can get 40mph. Can I push it harder with a bit better motor controller?
And how heavy would even 80 miles of battery be?

(I'm down to the bare min I can have this bike at)
EDIT: 1000W @ 48V says I can get 60mph. That's with 42A of draw though. Could just use that and run it bit slower. Just need a huge batterie box.

Last edited:

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
Ouch, I was looking at a 800w rear hub motor that says it can get 40mph. Can I push it harder with a bit better motor controller?
And how heavy would even 80 miles of battery be?

I'm down to the bare min I can have this bike at

There are other members who are far more well versed in electrics and hopefully they'll chime in, I'm curious too.

My guess is for that 800W hub to do 40 you would be downhill with a tailwind and just short bursts. Battery weight depends on type but the higher the sustained speeds the quicker the drawdown severely limiting range. It's extremely difficult to have all three: speed, range, lightweight unless you work for NASA, lol, with a handle like marsrover.

Last edited:

marsrover

Mar 26, 2009
middle of nowhere
There are other members who are far more well versed in electrics and hopefully they'll chime in, I'm curious too.

My guess is for that 800W hub to do 40 you would be downhill with a tailwind and just short bursts. Battery weight depends on type but the higher the sustained speeds the quicker the drawdown severely limiting range. It's extremely difficult to have all three: speed, range, lightweight unless you work for NASA, lol, with a handle like marsrover.
Oh i'm not woried about weight. Although somewhere under 150lbs would be nice.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Your better Off just buying an electric motorcycle..
Why wouldn't you just do that?
Perhaps the OP is more interested in building something himself?

What folks are "better off" doing is very often just a matter of personal opinion and preference - if you have what you think are viable options or alternatives relevant to the OP's questions, why not post a link?

From my admittedly limited experience with factory built "electric motorcycles" I've found them to be overpriced and underwhelming, if the interest is maximum performance for a minimum price, building it yourself may be the best option - if you disagree, I'd love to see the alternative.

Even so, sometimes such practicalities are secondary - sometimes folks just do things for the lolz *shrug*