helmet question

GoldenMotor.com

corduroylion

Sep 25, 2008
norcal
hey i have a question. i live in california where its the law to wear a helmet. the only thing is that i dont know which one. i have a regular bike helmet, a downhill bmx helmet and i also have a scooter helmet. my bike is only 49 cc and doesnt go very fast. which helmet would ya'll recommend? and to those that wear helmets what helmet do you wear.

i like the idea of prtecting my head with the scooter helmet but not sure if its an over kill.

thanks!

jen
.shft.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
how much of your head would you like protected,wear the one that covers those areas.
you mite not go fast but the truck hitting you might be.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Jen. I would go with the best helmet you have. Ya just never know and better to have it and not need it. Funny side note about helmets, Since I started wearing a big crazy look'n one, I have found cars don't pull out right in front of me nearly as much. I am thinking the helmet is a subtle clue that I am not on an ordinary bicycle.

Got this one off ebay. Really like it. Has zip-out ear covers and the goggles are padded. $50,

(not even close to DOT though)

Attachments

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
Gee, Dan, you'd look like death itself if you add a German motorcycle helmet and a WWI gas mask. laff Kind of that "Darth" look. :eek:

Seriously, a half helmet would work with that cool looking headgear.

For a seriously period looking gas bike, I'd use my yellow duster and a stroker cap with some "welding" goggles with leather sideshields. ;)

Hoi Jen. I use a 3/4 Scorpion that I bought for use with my 50cc scooter. I also use a "rated" bike helmet. Which one usually depends on the weather. What I won't wear is that funky, black, flimsy, perforated BMX helmet (your's might be better) with the tag lettering that came with one of my past purchases of a bike. That one went into the trash bin today.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Gee, Dan, you'd look like death itself if you add a German motorcycle helmet and a WWI gas mask. laff Kind of that "Darth" look. :eek:

Seriously, a half helmet would work with that cool looking headgear.

For a seriously period looking gas bike, I'd use my yellow duster and a stroker cap with some "welding" goggles with leather sideshields. ;)

Hoi Jen. I use a 3/4 Scorpion that I bought for use with my 50cc scooter. I also use a "rated" bike helmet. Which one usually depends on the weather. What I won't wear is that funky, black, flimsy, perforated BMX helmet (your's might be better) with the tag lettering that came with one of my past purchases of a bike. That one went into the trash bin today.
LOL, I had thought about the WW1 German spike. The leather side shields would really look cool. What is a "duster and a stroker cap"?

As part of next years Halloween contest, we should have a helmet competition.

I am going to build a trailer with a mock coffin and tow carol around. I am going to be the grim reaper and she will be "Mortishia" (She doesn't think that's funny either)

Attachments

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Cord.--Years ago I lived in a small town in the mountains of New Hampshire and there was a center for people with head trauma there.
Met a young man who went for a short bike ride and didn't wear his helmet because it was only 3 blocks away.Someone opend a car door and it took him 10 min. to tell me what you just read in seconds.
Hit his head on the curb.
He went to schools all over the east to tell them the story and give them a chance to see the result of a moments lack of safety.
He was in my books, a hero to turn his misfortune to someone elses good fortune.
Steve.

Last edited:

grouchyolfart

May 31, 2008
Wahiawa, Hawai'i
LOL, I had thought about the WW1 German spike. The leather side shields would really look cool. What is a "duster and a stroker cap"?

As part of next years Halloween contest, we should have a helmet competition.

I am going to build a trailer with a mock coffin and tow carol around. I am going to be the grim reaper and she will be "Mortishia" (She doesn't think that's funny either)
The duster is a long coat usually made of waxed canvas and was worn by the cowboys. The one I have is yellow and was more from the motor car era. I've seen pics of motorbike riders using the same. The stroker cap is just a wool cap with a short visor/bill. Kinda fits flat on the head, but slants towards the front. Again, I've seen them in pics of the same era. In period movies, they wear them backwards. I guess wearing baseball caps anywhich way isn't new. laff My caps were bought in France during our last visit.

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
hey i have a question. i live in california where its the law to wear a helmet. the only thing is that i dont know which one. i have a regular bike helmet, a downhill bmx helmet and i also have a scooter helmet. my bike is only 49 cc and doesnt go very fast. which helmet would ya'll recommend? and to those that wear helmets what helmet do you wear.

i like the idea of prtecting my head with the scooter helmet but not sure if its an over kill.

thanks!

jen
.shft.
I simply use a bicycle helmet when I feel the need,usually I dont wear one at all but dont go by what I do,Id hate to see anyone hurt....really,my Girl gets on me so ill wear it for a while,theres no law here but go with the most protection,ive flown off having a chain lock up at 35mph,youll be glad your wearing it!!!....Im self destructive by natureLOL.....wear it!!!

Rayzor

Feb 14, 2009
Bako, Ca
Howdy :)
i am also a rider (minor) in California. I wear a dirtbike helmet. Like a coulpe of others said, you might not be going fast, but the truck that hits ya will.

There are only 2 types of riders in the world: those that have crashed, and those that are going to. .duh.

burnclouds

Jun 17, 2009
ohio
I actually use my HJC-15 Full motorcycle helmet. Craigslist $40. I don't mess around when it comes to my noggin'.

but that don't mean I'm not ridding around in shorts and a tee shirt!