I could use some encouragement!

GoldenMotor.com

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
I have a Genesis GX7 Walmart special.. I am sooooon to be motorizing it! I have had the bike for about a year and a half now, and I have put a LOT of miles on this sucker. The only change I've done to this since I got is I swapped the twist shift into a thumb shift.

My town has plenty of hills and I never hesitate to tackle them (even if I am towing my daughter in her trailer). I am now noticing some noises from my crankshaft, but whether it's a bearing or a warped sprocket, I'm not sure...
:-||

I do think the stock crank setup is cheesy as ****, and I am wondering if anyone else has run into this so soon in the life of these bikes.

Any suggestions on where the best value is for a new crank assembly?
Thank you for reading, I look forward to get some good ol' fashioned info usflg

-Joe

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You may just need the crank bearings repacked with grease. During the repack, you will see if anything in there is damaged.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
OK you will be fine. I suggest a sprocket adapter and a 44t- 50t sprocket. watch your bke and be safe ok...towing daughter, be sure she is not inline with exhaust fumes ok?

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
I will pick up some grease at work tomorrow and get that taken care of! I may need to fudge the tools though just to get the damn thing apart.... I need to stock up on tools again! I probably won't tow her on this bike once the motor is installed. Unless I make a flex pipe that brings the fumes to the back of the trailer :p

Orrrr I'll just get a different bike for towing!

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
check out my albums for safe fender tips and other stuff which may or may not be of interest. Also look at Barelyawake and a.graham, both from Maine and doing some very cool things with bkes.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
I've had two Genesis Two Nines. No complaints with the frame, but ALL the bearings are krappe. Been riding chainless for well over 8-months now as the sprocket's totally screwed (as well as the bearing). Couldn't be bothered to replace yet since the engine starts easily on a roll, but re-hubbed the rear with a decent quality quick-release replacement: MUCH better. Haven't had to deal with loosened hub-nuts, snapped axles, and I'm convinced the wheel has much less friction...that's REALLY effects top-speed.

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
I am now noticing some noises from my crankshaft,

Hard to tell from the descript. Pedal Crank or motor crank...Clutch chatter is common...if motor
-pull the 5 screw cover right side of motor and be sure small bevel gear isn't scraping the cover. you will know if you see scoring on backside of cover. Otherwise pedal crank-wheelbender & Kioshk have your starting point.

Last edited:

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Opps! I meant pedal crank :p

I am going to try to pull that out tomorrow as well as the wheel bearings and give them all a good fresh greasing.

On a different note, I measured my rear hub to be sure I get the right sprocket adapter, but the smallest I found is for a 1", but I measured mine at .99"
:-||
IAM SO CONFUSED.... I measure about 10 times with a calibrated dial caliper, but each time was the same... Any ideas as to what I'm up against?

allen standley

Oct 22, 2011
Bangor, Maine
Some things require a phone call. Jake @ Jakes motorbikes is my go to guy for these type things. He will answer this simple riddle. You can try Jason @ Pirate he may or may not be avail. to take your call tho....Very difficult to get through. I like the fact they are in Mass. Not sure but I think pirate is weening away from the 2 stroke china motors and trying to go main line with more reputable products.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I have a Genesis GX7 Walmart special..
I am now noticing some noises from my crankshaft, but whether it's a bearing or a warped sprocket, I'm not sure...
-Joe
I suggest you just jackshaft it.

Not only do you not need the $100 sprocket adapter to get around the spoke count problem, the shift kit comes with a new pedal cartridge axle and 2 new chain ring sprockets for your pedal side issue.

Gears change everything ;-}

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
I found the culprit for my crank noises.... One bearing was fine, the other one has seen better days! :-||

As you can see, a couple of the balls have been gouged and flattened on one side....

Here you can see the damage it has done to my adjusting cup. DIRTY BASS-TERD

Lucky for me it didn't so much hurt the crank shaft itself. I may get a whole lower bracket set though if I can get it easy enough.

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
Not only do you not need the $100 sprocket adapter to get around the spoke count problem, the shift kit comes with a new pedal cartridge axle and 2 new chain ring sprockets for your pedal side issue.

Gears change everything ;-}
I would love to go that route! One day.... Finance willing :D

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
well I stopped by a bike shop and got some replacement ball bearings, but try as I may, there was no saving of the rail.... I couldn't get it straight enough to clear the cup and shaft....I guess I should just get a sealed bottom bracket assembly.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I was gonna suggest that. Don't forget goodwill and other thrift stores. I got a 1950s schwinn for 8 bucks once. It was missing a pedal! (Is why they didn't ask 10 or $20 for it, snork)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Just toss the retainer ring and add enough bearings to fill the race. Removing the retainer is a good idea even if they are fine.

Motojoe2492

Aug 18, 2014
Ellsworth, ME
I did consider ditching the retainers, but though better of it being my first attempt to reassemble one of these :p It went well, a guy I work with is very knowledgeable when it comes to bicycles, so he helped me out and got me an adjustable cup and two new bearings :D I got it back together this evening, tightened to perfection! I am pretty proud to say she rides better than she did brand new! (Well... that aspect anyway. I should also adjust my derailleur before I get to crazy :p)