48 Whizzer H. Worth $3400?

GoldenMotor.com

DasNasenloch

Nov 18, 2010
Tulsa
Haven't posted since last year. Been reading just, not logged in when doing so. I've been in talks with Mike Steiff from Whizzerworks in Ohio about purchasing this bike. He is a VERY good guy. Very helpful and considerate. His asking price was $3700 and I've talked him down a bit to $3400. As I research more it makes me less sure. Also, I haven't made the deal yet, but I am leaning that way. BUT, if anyone knows of a better deal or a "bulletproof" expensive machine I'm open to it. My goal is reliability. I will gladly trade speed for reliablity (and maybe more torque-as I am a big guy-6' 4in, 240lbs). The bike will be a daily commuter. You see i've been pedalling an ebike 14 miles/weekday for 7 months. I got so very tired of riding around with a backpack filled with nothing but tools waiting for the next time my motorized bike would break down. It is a Gx50 with a SBP shift kit and 4G. Good setup (on my last bike which was stolen), but on that current bike... Screw it, I went electric. However, I played in two softball games last thursday after pedalling 14 miles and an 9 hour shift of Medical Lab work. My legs are still jello days later so I figure it's time to get motoring again. I am no stranger to working on my bike, however after 8 or so bikes, I thought I'd let someone else make it "bulletproof" and just buy it whole and have it shipped to Tulsa, Ok.

Photos exceed the allowable so I'll try this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/88978123@N05/ Hope it works... also, "The Animal" racing bike is on there too. I am thinking of perhaps purchasing it from "MikeyBike" in Chicago. Can't find any reviews from people who've bought from him though. -Mitch-

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I could be way off base, but I don't think I would want a 1948 anything to be a daily driver. Can't comment on the price, but both the Animal and the Whizzer look like fine bikes.

DasNasenloch

Nov 18, 2010
Tulsa
I spoke with Ralph of Woodstock whizzers also. He took way too long to get back with me, so I kinda blew him off. He also can't hear that well and I hate having to repeat myself/yell to be understood. Also, he only has the "new" whizzers in stock. I don't really like the look of them. They are too... gaudy. Reflectors and wires everywhere, lower quality look, made in Taiwan...

I too am leary of having a '48 anything as my daily ride, but I trust Mike.

"The Animal" is substantially less at $2500, but it is hard to speak with anyone at MikeyBike and I can't find anyone who's bought from them.

I'm with ya tho, I've bought the animal 25 times over (in my head). Anyone know of other prospects. Reliable and powerful-ish. Im worried that the animal being a racing bike would be more prone to break down. You just can't beat that retro whizzer feel. All the bikes i've made, now that I think about it, look like whizzers (kinda). Belt drive with Gx50 perhaps? Or even better, EZM? Anyone ever done this?

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
the animal is well a animal its briggs built race engine each one is hand built in there factory by skilled professionals in America they sell for $500 or so just the engine
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines-racing/racing-engines/engine/?model=124332

GX50 with the EZM is one of the most reliable setups you can buy if you want power for cheap you can look at the 79cc 99cc (ebay) or 212cc predators from harbor freight and get a EZM or a jackshaft kit for it the 212cc you can run a CVT on and make ridiculously fast (60MPH)

DasNasenloch

Nov 18, 2010
Tulsa
Too many options!!! My mind just "sploded" (exploded). Ive read that the EZM is GREAT, however I'm unsure as to torque. It seems its awesome when it gets up to speed. The CVT approach has intrigued me for some time. http://gokartsusa.com/tav3034bore35chainfortecumseh5or6hp.aspx . My main dilemma is I can't see the goods. ie-say I buy all the components and they don't fit!

When you said the 212cc predator and CVT, what CVT did you mean? Also couldn't find the specs on predator, but it looks wide! I did widen the pedal cranks with what came with the SPB shift kit. Wide enough to fit the predator?

DasNasenloch

Nov 18, 2010
Tulsa
I guess the only question left is what frame to use? Also, it looks like pedalling would be out of the question... I like pedalling. How to mount it? The standard mounting plate that comes with every kit out there? Or have to weld? Dumb question here, but there is a sprocket on the reverse side of the pulley to run the drive chain, right?

DasNasenloch

Nov 18, 2010
Tulsa
I ALMOST BOUGHT THE CHIEF 7 speed for my last build! I needed a bike quick and ended up buying a $129 bike from academy sports. I couldn't find a cruiser 7 speed anywhere but there. I needed it for the SBP shift kit, but for the application of the 212cc predator, it wouldn't be necessary, right? The CVT is variable speed so shifting wouldn't be necessary, right? I am a taller guy so the additional '5 would be of help. We kinda got off subject about Whizzers eh? HA! I hope no one is mad about this. I would "pm" you but haven't looked into that yet. So you are wanting to do the Predator with CVT and The Chief? Sounds cool, and I may do the same. Just got an email from Mike at whizzerworks and he wants a down payment to continue work on the bike that started this post. I need to think and see if anything else comes of this post.

DasNasenloch

Nov 18, 2010
Tulsa
http://www.affordablegokarts.com/99cc-predator.php

I suppose you've seen this? Looks like a lengthy proccess. Not sure I wanna undertake that...

GokartsUSA has a "torque converter kit" for a predator 6.5 tho.

Thanks for speaking with me. Gotta get up at 0545 (due to pedalling) and need some time to wind down before bed. Respond if you like, just expect to hear nothing back until tomorrow. Seriously, thank you for the revival of ideas. My heart is whispering to me still. "Whizzer", it's saying. But I need to have at least one backup besides that ebike. CRAP! Now, the long dead voice is once again saying "Animal" too... Need to sleep on it again.

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
yea i hear that i keep kicking myself for not buying the $650 whizzer clone i saw but over 3000 is crazy the animal isnt to bad at 2500 its a $500 engine also you can get a wizzer clone kit for $850

and just so you know the 6.5 HP predator is the 212cc one they are CHEAP right now but i dont know your local laws on CCs and power and everything most places frown on the 212cc engine
http://www.harborfreight.com/engine...-engine-gasoline-epa-212cc-ohv-7hp-69730.html

i have read the AGK build and i think its a fantastic bike they have lots of great parts

the 99cc predator is discontinued i got mine on Ebay they replaced it with the 79cc but it makes the same power and has the same block so same drive set would work

DasNasenloch

Nov 18, 2010
Tulsa
Youre right Jonny. Anything over $3000 is crazy and the other responder was also correct "a '48 anything for a daily driver" (would suck). So, that's why I've decided and called both parties today. First to decline the Whizzer, and to talk with Fred from Mikey Bike to see if "The Animal" was still available. IT IS! Now just have to go to the bank and collect the funds. I wish I could paypal so I wouldn't have to wait for my check to clear... Also gonna try to talk to him into a discount for buying 2 bikes. We'll see.

The predator setup was not on my radar until last night, BUT IT IS NOW! When I have more time (and feel like tinkering again), I will do this. I've saved everything to my favorites so I can easily pull the components up again. Thank you Jonny for helping me decide. Perhaps I won't be up til past 0100 tonight thinking about this stuff. -Mitch-