I was written a ticket last night in Phoenix

GoldenMotor.com

Solarcaine

Aug 28, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Two retarded cops wrote me a ticket last night for riding a motorized bike claiming I required a license to drive it. They debated their knowledge by pulling out an Arizona Law Book dated 2008-2009 and insisted that it was a moped, as defined. I told them to take a picture of the bike so that they could show the judge. I was also was a smart ass and told his partner to take a picture of his book. Mr. *I think I'm a law student even said he had nothing better to do. I wouldn't have been written the ticket if I wouldn't of said anything, but I was a bit irritated about them basing their laws off a different violation. They cop was so dumb he had to call another cop to back him up. They wrote me a ticket on §28-2513.3 -

3. The director shall adopt necessary rules to provide for any tag, decal, plate or other device in lieu of a license plate otherwise required pursuant to this chapter to be attached to a moped to indicate that the moped is properly registered.

they neglected to read §28-2516. I'm a little pissed but amused at the same time.

http://azbikelaw.org/blog/moped-and-motorized-bicycles-in-arizona/

I'm scheduled to have a court date on Sep 19th. Any suggestions or opinions i'd appreciate.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
Relying on outdated information and then being a smart arse won't get you very far.

You never mentioned what type of engine you have on your bike. If you have a HT 2 stroke, you definitely are in violation of the law. That motor can propel the bike faster than 20 mph. You've actually exceeded the specifications for a moped which is only allowed to be rated at the maximum speed of 25 mph and have a horsepower rating of 1.5 hp.

Here's some updated information from Arizona Department of Transportation and the Arizona State Legislature:

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/FAQsResponse.asp?Category=2&Keyword
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/02516.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS
http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/02513.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
How fast were you going? Did they have a valid reason for pulling you over? They might have written the speed down on the ticket.

If you were going under 20 and the ticket reflects that, they're in the wrong. The judge will likely throw it out.

Solarcaine

Aug 28, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
How fast were you going? Did they have a valid reason for pulling you over? They might have written the speed down on the ticket.

If you were going under 20 and the ticket reflects that, they're in the wrong. The judge will likely throw it out.
I was going under 20 but my front night light had fell off, so the asshat followed me then pulled me over. There's nothing whatsoever stating that or the speed for that matter. I was written a ticket for Arizona Statute 28-2513.7, which reflects on mopeds.

7. Any class of driver license is valid for operating a moped.

http://law.justia.com/codes/arizona/2011/title28/section28-2513/

I think I had ever legal right to dispute this ticket at the time as they seemed very uncertain what they were charging me for, in fact the guy which had originally pulled me over had no intentions to as he was curious. But his partner who called to the location was very fixated with the fact that my bicycle was a moped. So much that he demanded that it was true by reading it out the 2008-2009 Arizona Legislator Book. When I had tried telling him it was written under a different Statute he insisted that no such statute existed as it was simply a moped. That's when I became humored with his ignorance. I wasn't certain what the statute number was at the time so I was a dead fish in the water. The cop was very immature about the matter and insisted I wouldn't win this in court and if I wouldn't have said anything they would have dismissed the ticket. I told him that it was a 48cc EPA approved motorized bike kit but they we're also fixated that anything up to 50cc was a moped and required to be registered. I was like isn't that the other way around. laff

One of the cops said he didn't care if he didn't have to go to court as he would get 3 hours of overtime, I told him well I find that very unlikely as a court hearing for a civil traffic fine usually only lasts 15mins at the most. I'm very disgusted from this whole matter so much that I asked them if they had anything better to do, like arrest a crackhead. I told them to take a picture of the bike to present in front of the judge and also their Statute book. Officer Meow was kind of humored from my nip picky remarks and gave me my ticket and told me to go home.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Should of kept your mouth shut, it's the yes sir no sir rule. You must be young, you will learn one day.

Btw it took me one time to act like that when I was 20, got may azz put in check real fast. It was a quick class on respect even when wrong... Its the po po

Solarcaine

Aug 28, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Should of kept your mouth shut, it's the yes sir no sir rule. You must be young, you will learn one day.

Btw it took me one time to act like that when I was 20, got may azz put in check real fast. It was a quick class on respect even when wrong... Its the po po
I'm 26 and actually I've always been a yes sir and no sir to officers. But I knew I wasn't in for a ride for the local police station.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
First post: They wrote me a ticket on §28-2513.3 Then your last post you stated: I was written a ticket for Arizona Statute 28-2513.7 Which one was it?

All the judge is going to ask you - can your motorized bicycle go faster than 20 mph? Legally your motor bicycle is a moped under Arizona law since it can go faster than 20 mph. You don't have a moped registration and that's why the cop cited you under section 28-2513.3

The cop had probable cause to pull you over since you were operating a motor vehicle at night with no head lamp on a public road. He was probably concerned about your safety.

If you still don't understand that is OK. I am guilty of minimalizing and rationalizing my behavior.

Good Luck,

Chris

Last edited:

Solarcaine

Aug 28, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
First post: They wrote me a ticket on §28-2513.3 Then your last post you stated: I was written a ticket for Arizona Statute 28-2513.7 Which one was it?

All the judge is going to ask you - can your motorized bicycle go faster than 20 mph? Legally your motor bicycle is a moped under Arizona law since it can go faster than 20 mph. You don't have a moped registration and that's why the cop cited you under section 28-2513.3

The cop had probable cause to pull you over since you were operating a motor vehicle at night with no head lamp on a public road. He was probably concerned about your safety.

If you still don't understand that is OK. I am guilty of minimalizing and rationalizing my behavior.

Good Luck,

Chris

correction it was 28-2513.7

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
BigBlue
The AZ law below does not say a mb can't go faster than 20 mph.
It just has to be operated at under 20 mph.

http://law.justia.com/codes/arizona/2005/title28/02516.html

2005 Arizona Revised Statutes - Revised Statutes §28-2516 Motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles; definition

1. A certificate of title is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

2. Registration is not required for a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

3. Vehicle license tax is not imposed on a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

4. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is exempt from the provisions of section 28-964 relating to required equipment on motorcycles and motor-driven cycles and from the provisions of title 49, chapter 3, article 5 relating to vehicle emissions inspections.

5. A driver license is not required to operate a motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle.

6. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle may use rights-of-way designated for the exclusive use of bicycles.

7. A motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle is not subject to chapter 9 of this title.

B. This section does not prohibit a local authority from adopting an ordinance that regulates or prohibits the operation of motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles, except that a local authority shall not adopt an ordinance that requires registration and licensing of motorized electric or gas powered bicycles or tricycles.
C. For the purposes of this section, "motorized electric or gas powered bicycle or tricycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with a helper motor that has a maximum piston displacement of forty-eight cubic centimeters or less, that may also be self-propelled and that is operated at speeds of less than twenty miles per hour.

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
MotorBicycleRacing,

I agree that Section C of 28-2516.7 states, "operated at speeds less than twenty miles per hour" - my bad!

I still think the OP would still need to operate his motorized bicycle as a
http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/faqs/scripts/FAQsResponse.asp?moped:Category=2&Keyword:

(42) "Moped – A bicycle (human-powered vehicle with pedals) with a 50 cc or less helper motor, 1.5 hp or less braking power and rated at maximum top speed of 25 mph (on a flat surface with less than a one per cent grade)".

OP restated in Post #7 that he was cited under section 28-2513(7):
"Any class of driver license is valid for operating a moped".

It is apparent the OP didn't have a valid driver license to operate his motorized bicycle as a moped. The police officer felt that his motorized bicycle should be registered as a moped since it meets the above definition with the Arizona Department of Transportation which is given authority in 28-2513 (3) - "The director shall adopt necessary rules to provide for any tag, decal, plate or other device in lieu of a license plate otherwise required pursuant to this chapter to be attached to a moped to indicate that the moped is properly registered".

We also don't know if any legal clarifications by the courts have been made to any of the sections relating to mopeds or gas-powered bicycles and the legislators haven't changed the law yet to reflect those changes.

It will be up to the judge to decide it.

I am done beating this dead horse.

Good Luck,

Chris

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Since he wasn't going 20MPH or faster, he shouldn't have been cited as a moped. A Moped is a motor vehicle requiring a license and registration; in Arizona a bicycle with a motor attached and traveling under 20MPH is not. He doesn't need a license as long as he keeps the speed under 20MPH.

As I said in my previous post in this thread, the judge will probably throw it out. The cops were in error to cite him. He shouldn't have said he was on a moped, tho.

Cops can be easily confused, however, they were justified in pulling him over - gotta have reliable lights! Cheap toy lights cannot be relied on.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Since you did not get a speeding ticket you should be okay, unless he noted your speed?

Just get yourself ready for court with all your proof. Show proof of Arizona Motorized Bicycle Law, and have proof to prove to the judge that your motor is 48cc or less.

You were riding on the right side of the road and not in the middle like normal traffic...correct?

If anything the only ticket you should have received is for no light on your bicycle.