So I am going to either buy or build an electric bicycle.

GoldenMotor.com

stingray'04rider

Jul 3, 2010
garland, texas
For the longest time, I was going to go with a motorbicycle, but due to legal reasons for the state of Texas, I'm going with an e-bike.

So I have a few questions and things I have to put out there:
One) I need your help, in possibly giving me advice, help, selling me parts, etc.
Two) I am a poor teenager. I don't have money. If comes down to it, I might be willing to sell some of my stuff for money or do some labor, but the reason I'm building an ebike in the first place is to travel and do labor (and make money), so if I sell stuff to make the bike, it would just be a conundrum.
Three) I need the bike, above all else, to be able to go 35 mph minimum or more and it must be completely safe to ride.

I can't seem to find anyone who sells an electric bike within my price range (which is nothing anyways), and either way, plenty of people selling don't have bikes that go fast enough.

Four) I am heavy. The bike must be able to carry 250 lbs.+ easily, and move it at 35+ mph.

If you give me advice on what to do, where to go, design ideas, motor suggestions, that'd be a big plus, so thanks in advance!.shft.

Last edited:

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
Good luck with your search. As far as I know, unless you custom make it, no electric will be going anywhere near 35 mph. 15 is the average on most kits, and even with that a basic conversion kit will cost you near $400 once you add in batteries, not including the bike itself.

Range might also be a consideration. Most stock kits get 10-15 miles out of 1 battery pack (no pedaling). Double that is you add a second of course.

I don't know what your legal situation in Texas is, but I would try working it out and going gas. Half the cost (kit wise), better range, double the speed.

But I could be wrong. I have little knowledge in electric other than a weeks worth of research.

I am in the same situation, going electric for legal reasons. Just got a Currie 24v 450W converted bike. Paid $250 for the complete package. The guy had over $750 into what was essentially a basic starting kit.

Gotta ask yourself if paying $400+ just to go 15 miles without pedaling is worth it. I plan on adding a pedal assist to mine if possible. You can usually get 25-30 miles on a charge that way.

stingray'04rider

Jul 3, 2010
garland, texas
Thanks.

the legal part is just a big pain in the ass. The local cops would constantly pull me over
"You know you're driving a motorized vehicle without a license, registration, and inspection."
"Yeah but this is legal."
"What???"

I just know they'd ticket me and being in and out of traffic courts proving what I'm doing is legal would just be a pain in the ass.

thanks.

RandyWhite

Jul 23, 2011
Idaho
Mine is kind of the same. The way the laws are written in Idaho, a moped either requires a drivers license or doesn't. Depends on who you ask.

Since I don't know the laws in Texas, I don't know what the legality of them are there.

Personally, I would just get a copy of your laws and carry them with you. If a cop pulls you over, you can show him the codes. If it ends up in court and you are legal, you should be able to get court papers that would prove it.

Nothing like court papers that say you are legal lol. I have found that for the most part, not many police/sheriff/dmv workers know the law.

stingray'04rider

Jul 3, 2010
garland, texas
Mine is kind of the same. The way the laws are written in Idaho, a moped either requires a drivers license or doesn't. Depends on who you ask.

Since I don't know the laws in Texas, I don't know what the legality of them are there.

Personally, I would just get a copy of your laws and carry them with you. If a cop pulls you over, you can show him the codes. If it ends up in court and you are legal, you should be able to get court papers that would prove it.

Nothing like court papers that say you are legal lol. I have found that for the most part, not many police/sheriff/dmv workers know the law.
Pretty much. Thanks! and will do!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Stingray.
I just posted some sites for Randy on the other thread. If you still want to go electric ask if anyone at the endless-sphere site has anything that will help you. Explain your situation and there may be some helping hands if your lucky.

Steve.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
With my knowledge in electrical engineering, building an electric bike isn't going to be cheap. It pays off of course, but it is the batteries that murders the cost. You'll end up with the cost of a scooter and then some to get what you are looking for. People don't sell fast E-bikes because I think there are legal issues of being able to go past 20mph without insurance or registration.

Somethin to know.. More amps typically means more acceleration. More volts means higher top speed. If you're wondering about the watts that are advertised, I would say ignore it. Watts is determined by multiplying the voltage x amperage. If you compared it to an engine, watts is like the displacement. It doesn't really tell you what the engine/electrical motor can do, just how big it is.

Someone made a gorgeous E-bike. It's hardly a bike since he removed the pedaling system though. Wouldn't hurt to take a look I guess though. I'd love to build one myself but the cost doesn't justify it quite yet unless you can ride the bike all the time. You would quickly be much more efficient than using a car but for work I need to save up for a diesel pick up. I love diesels anyway :D
The Ultimate DIY Electric Bike - 50+MPH - YouTube

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
With my knowledge in electrical engineering, building an electric bike isn't going to be cheap. It pays off of course, but it is the batteries that murders the cost. You'll end up with the cost of a scooter and then some to get what you are looking for. People don't sell fast E-bikes because I think there are legal issues of being able to go past 20mph without insurance or registration.

Somethin to know.. More amps typically means more acceleration. More volts means higher top speed. If you're wondering about the watts that are advertised, I would say ignore it. Watts is determined by multiplying the voltage x amperage. If you compared it to an engine, watts is like the displacement. It doesn't really tell you what the engine/electrical motor can do, just how big it is.

Someone made a gorgeous E-bike. It's hardly a bike since he removed the pedaling system though. Wouldn't hurt to take a look I guess though. I'd love to build one myself but the cost doesn't justify it quite yet unless you can ride the bike all the time. You would quickly be much more efficient than using a car but for work I need to save up for a diesel pick up. I love diesels anyway :D
The Ultimate DIY Electric Bike - 50+MPH - YouTube
With all due respect go to endless sphere. com and look at the thred in NON HUB DRIVES with LIVE FOR PHISICS thred and his bike makes that bike look like a girlies bike!!!

You can make a E bike do what he wants for bout $1000 with Cyclone kit plus lipo Batts.

POPS

Last edited:

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
Stingray,
you can build an e-bike for reasonable. Batteries are the #1 money sucker on these projects...& ultimatly where all the performance lies.

A dirct drive hub motor can be overvolted easy enough to go well past 35mph. (not that i recomend that).

there is more info at endless sphere about every aspect of building an awsome e-bike. Lots of stuff in the sales section & a world class education to be had. the guys are all helpfull for the most part.

I would recomend a cell man geared hub ($150 i think) you can lace a wheel yourself (or can you?) a simple controller from the e-crazy man on e-bay. & a battery form a man called ping. (comes with a charger & a battery managment system)

if you can crimp the conectors onto your wires....you'll be rolling silent & under the radar for a long time.

I can get more specific if you have questions. I don't build with the hub motors myself, but they are the simplest way to build an assisted bike.
T

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
With all due respect go to endless sphere. com and look at the thred in NON HUB DRIVES with LIVE FOR PHISICS thred and his bike makes that bike look like a girlies bike!!!

You can make a E bike do what he wants for bout $1000 with Cyclone kit plus lipo Batts.

POPS
Well I feel rather dumb then :p
Last I saw was that the batteries themselves would cost about that much for decent mileage, but that was a while ago.. I hadn't been to familiar with electric motors or batteries with what I was studying at school. For 1000 bucks that's pretty darn cool! What I like most about "greg's" bike in the link I posted was the body he built. Just seemed quite well done.

Electricity per mile vs gas per mile certainly makes an electric bike very appealing. Although I wouldn't say it's particularly eco friendly. You're burning coal to run that bike afterall. Or nuclear waste.

Unless maybe you put up some solar panels somewhere to charge some charging station you made and put up the bike at night.. Be totally off the grid! Sounds all so exciting, I wish I had more space to make a set up like that

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Rocky

Go to WWW.Endless-Sphere.com

Go to E-bike non-hub motor drives

Go to Lukes commuter(name highlighted in green-live for phyics)

Go to page 19 and scroll down to u-tube vid.

There he races a hand full of motorcycles.

His bike is geared right now to top out at 80mph!!!

Thats when some of the bikes catch him.

He is regearing it for more speed and power and is takeing it out

to the 1-4 mile track as soon as they have space for him in there schedule.

Should be REAL exciting.

POPS

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
ok, I'll check out endlesssphere, but AFAIK, batry tech has just NOT progressed to a point where electric is as affordable as re-cycling a lawnmower engine for personal transport.
maybe someone could prove me wrong?
the dc motors are spensive, and the batries mite take a bank loan!
...but i DO think it's a gud thing to lern abt.
Best
rc

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Stingray,
you can build an e-bike for reasonable. Batteries are the #1 money sucker on these projects...& ultimatly where all the performance lies.

A dirct drive hub motor can be overvolted easy enough to go well past 35mph. (not that i recomend that).

there is more info at endless sphere about every aspect of building an awsome e-bike. Lots of stuff in the sales section & a world class education to be had. the guys are all helpfull for the most part.

I would recomend a cell man geared hub ($150 i think) you can lace a wheel yourself (or can you?) a simple controller from the e-crazy man on e-bay. & a battery form a man called ping. (comes with a charger & a battery managment system)

if you can crimp the conectors onto your wires....you'll be rolling silent & under the radar for a long time.

I can get more specific if you have questions. I don't build with the hub motors myself, but they are the simplest way to build an assisted bike.
T
Listen to THUD

He KNOWS what he is talking about.
He is one of the BIG brain guys over at Endless sphere.
I have been there for 4 years and don,t even post because
I don,t have A tenth of the knowledge of guys like THUD.

Sorry for hijacking your thred a bit with the LUKE thing but it,s an awesome Vid.

POPS

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
ok, I'll check out endlesssphere, but AFAIK, batry tech has just NOT progressed to a point where electric is as affordable as re-cycling a lawnmower engine for personal transport.
maybe someone could prove me wrong?
the dc motors are spensive, and the batries mite take a bank loan!
...but i DO think it's a gud thing to lern abt.
Best
rc
RC

LiPo

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store :

Prices have come down alot

POPS

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
It's true about the batteries being expensive but the Chinese government has stopped the ICE motors so that other than in the county they are illegal and even there they are frowned upon.

Then they went to lead acid batteries but the contamination from the plants has poisoned large areas. It will be a rush to improve battery technology in China now. They have the resourses, the scientists and the need to improve batteries and lower the price.

It may well take ten years to be able to compete with gasoline but it will come. Lithium batteries are now showing up in motorhomes as starter and house storage batteries. One of the leaders who is active in this has said what was $3,000 to fit out a motorhome in 2009 is $1,500 today.

Steve.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Tnx pops,

the hobby king sure has a lot of kool stuff !

Maybe I could start selling off all my rc stuff packed away around here and get some lipo batries.... 3300mah single cell lipos for $7.... but I'm so far behind on this stuff I wouldn't know how many of em it would take to make up a pack.

I don't think my chargers would work for lipo, either???

...maybe I should pay attention and log my current trips on my mab, then, once I get the info, ask someone what setup would work well for my needs???

Nothing grueling abt the short hops I make... no big hills and no hi speeds necessary, so it probably would work out. a long one way trip for me would be 7 or 8 miles over relatively flat terrain.

Best
rc

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Tnx pops,

the hobby king sure has a lot of kool stuff !

Maybe I could start selling off all my rc stuff packed away around here and get some lipo batries.... 3300mah single cell lipos for $7.... but I'm so far behind on this stuff I wouldn't know how many of em it would take to make up a pack.

I don't think my chargers would work for lipo, either???

...maybe I should pay attention and log my current trips on my mab, then, once I get the info, ask someone what setup would work well for my needs???

Nothing grueling abt the short hops I make... no big hills and no hi speeds necessary, so it probably would work out. a long one way trip for me would be 7 or 8 miles over relatively flat terrain.

Best
rc
RC

Your welcome

A 20 mile round trip on on flat road is easy to do with LiPo.

Don,t just go out and buy LiPo untill you know what your needs will be.

As far as your charger goes I don,t know.

With all due respect to this fourm which I like alot,

It is geared more to ICE bikes than E-bikes.

Go to Endless to get all your answers from guys that know

A WHOLE LOT MORE than me about E-bikes and LiPo.

I don,t even post there because I don,t have any thing

worthwhile to add! I just read and learn. The guys are real

friendly and are more than happy to help. Use the search box

and the stickies to start to learn and than ask questions about

what you don,t understand (And it will be a lot).

That way at least you will have a basic understanding.

Endless sphere is the best place to learn about E-bikes

but it is VERY complicated!!!

Cheers

POPS

Last edited:

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
For the longest time, I was going to go with a motorbicycle, but due to legal reasons for the state of Texas, I'm going with an e-bike.

So I have a few questions and things I have to put out there:
One) I need your help, in possibly giving me advice, help, selling me parts, etc.
Two) I am a poor teenager. I don't have money. If comes down to it, I might be willing to sell some of my stuff for money or do some labor, but the reason I'm building an ebike in the first place is to travel and do labor (and make money), so if I sell stuff to make the bike, it would just be a conundrum.
Three) I need the bike, above all else, to be able to go 35 mph minimum or more and it must be completely safe to ride.

I can't seem to find anyone who sells an electric bike within my price range (which is nothing anyways), and either way, plenty of people selling don't have bikes that go fast enough.

Four) I am heavy. The bike must be able to carry 250 lbs.+ easily, and move it at 35+ mph.

If you give me advice on what to do, where to go, design ideas, motor suggestions, that'd be a big plus, so thanks in advance!.shft.
How much money are you looking to spend. You can build an bike with a 1000 watt Hub motor and LiPo batteries that will haul 250lbs at 35 mph for about $1000.................

But it'll only go 4 miles, maybe 6 if your pedaling.

Otherwise i think you should save your money for a few years and allow technology can catch up with your dreams.

Lastly it aint gonna be cheap to run great distance at that speed. I suggest you learn all you can about LiPo batteries as they can be a very dangerous compound. People have watched there entire houses and cars burn to the ground from LiPo miss use.