The power of a Morini

GoldenMotor.com

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Hello.

I would consider getting either a 4-stroke or a morini for my next engine.

How is the power and acceleration of a morini? Is any pedaling required? I'm talking about an S6S, or even that 11hp water cooled one.

Can expansion chambers and shift kits be reused?

What mounting hardware do I need to convert from a standard skyhawk?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
The S6 S will be able to pull you from a stop with no trouble, 9+ horse power can do that, even with too high gearing. Something like the SBP expansion chamber will work but a larger volume chamber would fit the motor better. I've seen a bunch of expansion chambers sold on eBay for under $100 with chamber and stinger for the street scooters. The stinger is usually pointed back to the front to shorten the overall length but that can be easily straightened out. Shift kits I know of do not bolt up to a Morini. The S6 S has a wide power band that runs up to a max of 11,500 RPM I think it is. With the right gearing this can go way faster than any bicycle should ever go even without a shifter.

As far as hardware goes all you can do is what I'm doing; find all the threads with a Morini that someone has posted with a build like your bike and come up with a plan.

At least the S6 S has a front mounting point. My S5 E has 2 on the back of the motor and one on the head. A lot of the bikes built for this motor didn't have a front loop to fasten to and a lot of times two down tubes were added just to guard the pipe.

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.
Hello.

How is the power and acceleration of a morini? Is any pedaling required? I'm talking about an S6S, or even that 11hp water cooled one.

The Morini is way more powerful than any "HT" motor, with the proper drive train peddling would be optional, the problem is the S6-S and its water cooled brother "get on the pipe" to far up in the rev band, remember these are RACE motors.
The clutches are finicky, meaning they need to be adjusted properly to engage in the lower part of the rev band, then you have the problem of to much power for the bicycle drive train.

You would have to build a stronger custom jack shaft kit with stronger 415 chain and sprockets, the bicycle drive system wont take 11hp, I've tried it, I got to to work but it cost way to much, I had to build/rebuild and or modifie every part of the drive train.

At the moment, my everyday ride is a modified GT5R 66cc HT motor/shift kit/centerfugal clutch/SPB exp. pipe/ 9 speed.
It wasn't easy to get the chain lines right but shes got great range and theres more gear ratios to play with, shes got a gear for any riding situation, from plunking over rocky trails and city pot holes and curbs to flat out top speed night running.
You have to watch your power delivery, you cant just whack the throttle open, you have to be in 2nd or 3rd gear,ease the power on, and peddle for maximum acceleration efficiency, once shes over 15-20 mph you can hammer it.

I had a Morini S6-t 5hp motor bolted up to a SPB shift kit with custom made mounts, it worked, but parts broke and it took to long to and cost to much fabricate the mounts and up grade the bicycles drive train.

I've stopped building the high powered jobs (Morinis, big 2 or 4 stroke singles) with shift kits, in this case? simple is better.

Its better to just use the left side sprocket with a high powered engine, and Just leave the bicycles stock drive train intact. If you need it at all, as on a race or show bike.

On a bike that's going to be used on the street for commuting or just riding, you still need the stock drive train to "limp home" just in case she gives you trouble.

On my HT/shift kit bikes, I use a master link on the left side motor/jack shaft sprocket chain just so I can remove the chain quickly, so I don't have to spin the clutch as well as the jack shaft as I peddle, even with the clutch in its still spinning and that costs alot of peddle drag.
No one wants to have to push it home 5 miles.
(been there, done that, no thank you)
Just my 2 cents worth.
FR
BBB

Attachments

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
The S6-S will definately pull you from a dead stop, mounted on an all aluminum frame and a 60th rear sprocket I am able to hole shot cars at a red lights with ease. My setup now will absolutely climb walls.

The clutch needs to be tuned, (but I see that as a good thing) and its almost like choosing a turbo, when you allow the motor to get on pipe until just before the clutch locks in you need to hang on. In other words serious attention should be given to ones braking system.

You have to just sift through all these old Morini threads to find a solution to your problems. Once i get some time I may document my Morini Engine Mount build.

Good Luck

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Wow guys, thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. A jackshaft would be awesome, but I suppose unnecessary. And very difficult to build, as you said.

But that's great that it has so much power.

Do you guys have any problems with legality? (lol, Officer, it's a 50cc, I Swear!)

And I would even consider getting the S6C if it had the extra power.

Also, these have some aftermarket parts right? The HT has those little parts that don't work to well, but I'm sure with a more powerful motor, they're made to be added to.

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
Wow guys, thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. A jackshaft would be awesome, but I suppose unnecessary. And very difficult to build, as you said.

Do you guys have any problems with legality? (lol, Officer, it's a 50cc, I Swear!)

Also, these have some aftermarket parts right? The HT has those little parts that don't work to well, but I'm sure with a more powerful motor, they're made to be added to.
They actually are only 50cc

Most of the power seems to be in the pipe. But yes you can hop them up but in my opinion the S6S is over power for my application.

FarRider

Jun 8, 2011
Brooklyn N.Y.

"Legality" depends upon what ever state you happen to be in.
Here in NY state ALL motorized, not factory built or DMV registrable (no VIN#, no turn signals, no horn, what have you) are illegal.
Hence everyone here in NYC is "riding dirty" an old bikers term for running an illegal machine on the street.
Even electrics.

The main problem with the mighty Morini is that they are incredibly LOUD, noise seems to be the main complaint against moto bikes here.

Most of the time the police don't bother with electrics because they cant hear them.

But a Morini screaming up the street the wrong way at 8,000 RPM and 45 MPH by some helmet less kid is kinda hard not to notice.

Ride responsibly, obey the traffic laws and be considerate about the noise and chances are the police wont bother you.
Believe it or not, Police go on complaints, the more complaints they get about noisy reckless moto bikers the more of a chance that they will single you out.

I've only been stopped 3 times since 1975 on a moto bike, I always acted responsibly, didn't give them an argument and was polite and all 3 times it seemed to me the cops just wanted to get a closer look at my bike, Id be given a warning or told to slow down or made to peddle it out of ear shot.
You never want to say "don't you guys have anything better to do" to the cop that pulls you over...Thats EXACTLY what they are waiting for, now your in for what ever they feel like doing to you.
Impound your ride? give you a summons? arrest you? it could happen.
DON'T give them the chance, don't act like your in a hurry, look them straight in the eye and just answer the questions, if they are friendly, showing a bit of pride in your ride will only be a good thing, take the time to explain how you built it.
If they are not friendly, just answer the questions yes or no and be brief, they dont want to hear a long story.

I build bigger mufflers to try and avoid the problem alltogether.
Good luck with your build, if you need some help please feel free to ask.
FR

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I hear the Morini supply should be back in full swing soon.

As for noise my latest ride is as loud as a stock China at WOT and way more powerful than my first bike it can be done!! Got's a moded 9.4 S6S on it with a 7000/8000 rpm attack on the clutch. My first ride was ridiculous I could wake the dead. I am convinced it annoyed somebody?

I road that one home ''the louder bike'' at 3:00 AM in the Morning more than a few times there was a squad car always sitting in the parking lot of a church I would cut through. I was never bothered but I waited till I was about 1/2 mile down the road before I opened it up again. Thank God for the gears to creep with It was the only way I pulled it off.

Like FarRider says I will never J Shaft one of these again. There is simply no need for it. Plenty of power done right stock.

It also helps that I don't drink ether I imagine.

My first bike being so loud at times annoyed me personally. Sometimes a little Quiet is nice. That bike was a strange design and I just could not figure out how to get a nice muffler on it the way I wanted to..

There were plenty of times I would be going 35/38 mph and simply gunned it once ''noise''. I could tell on that bike they saw me. I run a very ''bright'' light at night now too. There is always some driver getting ready to merge into the road and I just knew they would somehow not see me and simply jump right out in front of me.

I was always mindful of being as polite as I could and as hot rodding rules go I never gunned it in a rude place of public that I thought would cause trouble or get me in it. Never did get pulled over there was no doubt a time or to mebbe I should have been. On our windy nights here I would light it up because I knew the noise would not travel.

This problem might be more of a challenge for an electric bike. They would have to carry prerecorded gas engine noises like the ice cream truck plays music lol. Just can't take it for granted that people will be paying attention.

All in all I enjoy my quieter bike way much better! Peace and quiet is both appealing and addicting to me I can pay attention to the nuances of the machine.

Its a trade off tho because the louder bike I knew darn well ''they'' knew I was there but it to me was just too darn loud and perhaps crossed the line of endangering the hobby here on more than just a few occasions I am definitely sure. I don't think the noise was worth it on that level of thinking.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You have to watch your power delivery, you cant just whack the throttle open, you have to be in 2nd or 3rd gear,ease the power on, and peddle for maximum acceleration efficiency, once shes over 15-20 mph you can hammer it.

FR
BBB
I agree totally on the prospect of just running the M single speed. My last build when I ran a conventional free wheel cluster sprocket for a ''short time'' I had the loose drive shaft or motor mount in a car feeling always slack being felt taken up in a slap between gears.

When I ran my N.V. hub the way the orbiting balls spooled up inside it was surprisingly smooth ''all of that went away'' I was quiet taken by it. The slap went away like magic. I had set the clutch up in a way it was not designed to do tho. While it worked pretty good. I was never totally happy with that approach. All those extra moving parts rob power and are a waste of time to me in hind sight.

The KISS principle.

These motors don't need gears. All tho a two speed power glide type shifter would be neat and interesting. I will never fret about it just more moving parts. '''They are perfectly designed as a single speed''' . Want power clean up the carby clutch and pipe put the right gear ratio then cruise or hold on;)

My present bike does everything for me perfect.

kevinkrg6

Jun 3, 2011
ohio
Man, these Morini's get me excited.

I may have to save up and get me an S6C, the extra power and quieter water cooled architecture sounds good to me for $200 more bux.

My only concern is that I don't know how to weld, and I'm not sure what I would use for mounts. Local welding shop instead?

And I would likely get a felt bike. Any other good bikes to put these on that won't explode at 50mph?

SpeedWizzard

Mar 9, 2012
Australia
Hi, i'm planning on putting the S6-C on a felt 65. i'm hoping for at least 110kph out of it.
Also you may not have to weld, you could use a thick bolt instead. I'm gonna make it super quiet, routing the exhaust through the frame then through a china HT muffler.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Some of the noise comes from the intake. If you can rig something up to baffle the intake without restriction the flow that will reduce the db level.
A friend of mind rigged up a 2 liter soda bottle over the carb with insulation. It looked like crap but it worked really good.

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA
I love my Morini.

Just to get started you have to have some skills or have someone in mind who can help, which can be costly. There is nothing prebuilt for these engines, all you get in the mail is the engine, intake manifold and carb.

Old Reliable

Feb 21, 2012
Santa Ana
The 11.4 s6c is definitely the way to go. I mounted the engine on a Giant mountainbike extra large frame. The pipe I purchased from procircuit for 400, which is made specifically for the lem rx3. I had to chop twist and reweld the pipe, without changing the length or bends, and it fit perfectly around the frame. The radiator is mounted in front, which was tough to mount securely. The gas tank is a little small, but holy cow this bike is fast. I hit speeds over 60, no joke, and I tremble every time I get off the bike. The overall project was expensive. Also had a tomar clutch installed. Tonight I was racing a volkswagon beetle turbo going up harbor, and I was totally smashing on him. . This engine is a mean little beast. For all the crazy speed .wee.freaks, this engine is a must have.

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Hello.

I tell you what bro. Mine houls ass period. Pedals are used as decoration with these motors! I have a S6-C Morini that has been converted to air cooled. It also has a overized piston (bored out). I would not trade it for any other engine out there. You can rap these motors out all day and they won't bust a sweat. I would definitely weld all motor mounts and install your exhaust pipe and silencer on rubber mounts to avoid any stress fractures. Gearing is your preference. You can read up on other threads and see what gearing has been used. I'm using a 52 tooth rear sprocket on a 26" rim and I'm hitting 50+mph. Adjust the clutch engagement right and you will be pulling power wheelies. Depending on your elevation, going with a bigger carb (21mm) may help your overall power.

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
The 11.4 s6c is definitely the way to go. I mounted the engine on a Giant mountainbike extra large frame. The pipe I purchased from procircuit for 400, which is made specifically for the lem rx3. I had to chop twist and reweld the pipe, without changing the length or bends, and it fit perfectly around the frame. The radiator is mounted in front, which was tough to mount securely. The gas tank is a little small, but holy cow this bike is fast. I hit speeds over 60, no joke, and I tremble every time I get off the bike. The overall project was expensive. Also had a tomar clutch installed. Tonight I was racing a volkswagon beetle turbo going up harbor, and I was totally smashing on him. . This engine is a mean little beast. For all the crazy speed .wee.freaks, this engine is a must have.
Crazy bro.. Love it. There's nothing better than watching peoples faces as you zip right past them on a bicycle! Shock and Awe.

DFlanagan

May 23, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Hi, i'm planning on putting the S6-C on a felt 65. i'm hoping for at least 110kph out of it.
Also you may not have to weld, you could use a thick bolt instead. I'm gonna make it super quiet, routing the exhaust through the frame then through a china HT muffler.
Good luck with that. These motors are only quite at idle. I've got a pro-circuit exhaust and a pro-circuit silencer on mine and it screams at WOT. If you can find a way to quite these beasty little motors without sacrificing hp's. Please let me know.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I agree with you 100%! The cc to hp ratio can't be beat except for a BZM which puts out roughly 15hp and revs over 21k. I played with one for years so I know these motors pretty well. only difference is it uses a 25H chain.
But the morinis are well built engines.
Post a pic of your bike. I would like to see your pipe. I can appreciate a rewelded and twisted pipe because all of mine pipes have been twisted and rewelded.

Old Reliable

Feb 21, 2012
Santa Ana
Ill have some up soon. Just need access to a computer, which I currently do not have. Been investing most my funds in building this crazy morini.