Grubee gt2 multi-speed?

GoldenMotor.com

shepdiesel

Jun 4, 2010
Indianapolis
So I have been drooling over the Grubee gt2 bicycle for a few months now and have finally convinced my wife to let me get one. My only question is can you get them in a multi-speed or convert them to a multi-speed? What I really want to do is switch both hubs over to halo spin doctor disc hubs and get a jack shaft to run off the multi-speed. so does anyone know if this will work?
thanks

BGRooster1

Nov 4, 2010
Fond du Lac,WI
Blowbyu says "Sold Out" . Pirate says "Sold Out". If you know better, please let me know. I want a GT-2 , but looks like no more are available . As soon as I can, I am going to take a GT-1 .

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
The short answer is "No", but people seldom settle for the short answer on this forum so let's put it this way...

The problem you will have to overcome is the width between the drop outs. It's designed for single speed hubs, or for internally geared hubs, which are the same width. In short, it's NOT designed to accept hubs that run traditional multi-speed cassettes.

Now, that said, several people I've read about have successfully "encourages" the rear triangles on other bikes to widen to accept these hubs and there's no reason to think this cannot be done with a GT2 frame.....

Well, ok, one other issue, you'll have to find a way to mount a derailleur. It's not designed for one so you'll have to get inventive, but it probably can be done. Take a look at the frame photos at Grubee's site to get an idea what you're in for.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i remember a thread where a guy had a GT-2 crack on him after 3 weeks, he was not a happy camper.

tried finding the thread but i couldn't come up with it.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
I believe that thread was about the stem (handlebar mount) cracking. I've got hundreds of miles on mine with no problems. I even hand a basket off the handlebars to haul groceries in. I suspect in his case the bike was mistreated a little.

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
You can use one of these types of derailleur.
Can be used on almost any drop out and all it uses a grove of the drop outs to stay aligned.
I use them all the time as chain tensioners, but it can be easily used as a normal derailleur.

Attachments

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
The rear dropout on the gt2 ARE wide enough for gears? That pesky roller brake joke takes up room better used elsewhere?

Dogtown Burner

Sep 15, 2011
Los Angeles
The short answer is "No", but people seldom settle for the short answer on this forum so let's put it this way...

The problem you will have to overcome is the width between the drop outs. It's designed for single speed hubs, or for internally geared hubs, which are the same width. In short, it's NOT designed to accept hubs that run traditional multi-speed cassettes.

Now, that said, several people I've read about have successfully "encourages" the rear triangles on other bikes to widen to accept these hubs and there's no reason to think this cannot be done with a GT2 frame.....

Well, ok, one other issue, you'll have to find a way to mount a derailleur. It's not designed for one so you'll have to get inventive, but it probably can be done. Take a look at the frame photos at Grubee's site to get an idea what you're in for.
the GT2 is 135mm. you must use a multi gear casette hub if you do not use the surly SS hub, or ther grube hub.

dumpstercrusher

May 20, 2013
Glen Burnie, Maryland
im using a gt2a-s frame with multigear setup. my derailer in the back is an adaptor for the drop outs and im running 7 gears. I know there is a youtube video of a guy running the same frame with a jackshaft kit with a derailer adaptor in the back as well.