Magic Pie 4 Up and Running

GoldenMotor.com

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
Well I finally got my MP 4 installed on my old cheap mountain bike Firmstrong frame. Removed the chain, gear shifters, and all associated hardware, but kept the original brake system intact. I didn't install the MP hand brakes didn't like them (still looked and felt cheap like the MP3) Yeah I know I'm losing the convenience of disengaging the cruise control but I still have the Red button. I can surely tell the performance difference compared to my old MP3. I'm running a 48V, 10ah LiPo and the MP4 gets up to 30 mph in nothing flat and I weigh 210 lbs. Hill climbing ability has improved a little but not by much. Motor casing seems a little warmer then my old MP3. Don't know if it's because it draws more power or what. I'm not an electrical type. These observations were made just by riding around my neighborhood. Will take it out for a longer 15 mile shakedown cruise this weekend and will report the results.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
you didn't say how quiet the mp4 is, to me i was totally amazed at that, i didn't believe it was possible to make a motor virtually soundless not that the mp3 was loud or anything but you could here it running

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Paul, I'm also impressed by the quietness of the motor. Like what Gary Salvo from Golden Motor Canada has stated on You Tube "the only sound you hear is your tires". I still have the knobby tires so the sound is loud I guess. I'd be riding WOT and people walking way ahead of me would look back to see what was behind them.

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Update to my last post...Rode 25 miles. Am really impressed by the torque this thing has. Had issues with the Battery Mgmt. System (one of the pins in a connector harness came loose). Didn't know that if one pin goes hayhare the whole system shuts down. Fortunately I was in the garage setting things up for a ride when the issue arose. Will be taking it out on the northern portion of the Centennial Trail we have up here.