Bike will start, but it won't move

GoldenMotor.com

Mavaik

Sep 9, 2013
Springfield, Oregon
Hello! I kinda wish my first post would be under better circumstances, but such is life.

I've run into a major issue with my bike this morning (it was running okay yesterday). The motor is a Raw 50cc with stock everything-but-the-throttle.

I can get it started just fine, but when I go to accelerate, the motor will rev but the bike won't move under it's own power. It's as if the motor is one a freewheel or something.

I've been browsing the forum for nearly an hour with no luck finding a similar post.

Has anyone had this sort of problem before? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Mannie

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It sounds like the clutch is slipping but I have to wonder how you're starting it if the clutch is slipping that much. Do you have a pull (recoil) start?

Start by checking the clutch cable tension. If too tight it can cause a problem. Worn or greasy clutch friction pads can also cause your problem. Did this just suddenly start or has the problem been getting increasingly worse lately?

Tom

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Sounds like your clutch-plate is loose/slipping. I assume that you're successfully starting the engine by rolling the bike and dropping the clutch. Right? If so, remove the clutch-cover, remove the small retaining-screw that locks the flower-nut. With your clutch depressed, screw in the flower-nut BY HAND until it gets snug, then screw it counter-clockwise to line-up the nearest notch on the flower-nut to line up with the lock-screw hole. Replace the lock-screw and release the clutch-handle. The clutch should be good and tight now. If you happen to notice oil in the clutch-compartment, your clutch-pads may be fouled and your crank-seal may have blown. If this is the case, you'll need to thoroughly clean the clutch-pads with brake-cleaning fluid and replace the seal.

Mavaik

Sep 9, 2013
Springfield, Oregon
Tried starting it up again, and noticed a grinding sound coming from the motor. Great.

It sounds like the clutch is slipping but I have to wonder how you're starting it if the clutch is slipping that much. Do you have a pull (recoil) start?

Start by checking the clutch cable tension. If too tight it can cause a problem. Worn or greasy clutch friction pads can also cause your problem. Did this just suddenly start or has the problem been getting increasingly worse lately?

Tom
There was some slippage yesterday, but the issue then was the flat screw came loose (fixed that problem, and then this cropped up this morning). I've double-checked the cable, and it seems fine.

Sounds like your clutch-plate is loose/slipping. I assume that you're successfully starting the engine by rolling the bike and dropping the clutch. Right? If so, remove the clutch-cover, remove the small retaining-screw that locks the flower-nut. With your clutch depressed, screw in the flower-nut BY HAND until it gets snug, then screw it counter-clockwise to line-up the nearest notch on the flower-nut to line up with the lock-screw hole. Replace the lock-screw and release the clutch-handle. The clutch should be good and tight now. If you happen to notice oil in the clutch-compartment, your clutch-pads may be fouled and your crank-seal may have blown. If this is the case, you'll need to thoroughly clean the clutch-pads with brake-cleaning fluid and replace the seal.
Thanks! I'll have to give that a try and see if it helps.

Mavaik

Sep 9, 2013
Springfield, Oregon
UPDATE: Flower nut is seized up and won't budge. :/

EDIT: I might be away from home (and the bike) for a few days, so I'll attempt any further suggestions when I get back.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you trying to turn it with the clutch engaged or disengaged. Squeezing the handlebar lever and disengaging the clutch might help. We're assuming you removed the small retaining screw that keeps the flower nut from turning?

Maybe attach a photo of the right side with the cover removed. We might see something you've missed. Also check for evidence of something touching/gouging the inside of the clutch cover. Circular marks?

Tom

Mavaik

Sep 9, 2013
Springfield, Oregon
Are you trying to turn it with the clutch engaged or disengaged. Squeezing the handlebar lever and disengaging the clutch might help. We're assuming you removed the small retaining screw that keeps the flower nut from turning?

Maybe attach a photo of the right side with the cover removed. We might see something you've missed. Also check for evidence of something touching/gouging the inside of the clutch cover. Circular marks?

Tom
I've tried turning it both engaged and disengaged. I seems to have seized up and just won't budge (I DID remove the retaining screw as suggested). I'll try and takes some pics of the motor and the problem areas next time I'm home.

Mavaik

Sep 9, 2013
Springfield, Oregon
I've tried turning it both engaged and disengaged. I seems to have seized up and just won't budge (I DID remove the retaining screw as suggested). I'll try and takes some pics of the motor and the problem areas next time I'm home.
Alrighty, I FINALLY got the time to take another look (and some crap photos (stupid phone and darkness)).

You can't really tell, but even with the clutch engaged, it's still stuck. Seized up on the bolt/screw/whatever. It's also pretty bent up. Looks like I'll need a new one as soon as I can figure out how to get this one off...

And I've determined that whatever's causing the grinding (thus, the primary issue) is within the cylinder itself. I'll have to do a complete tear-down of the motor when I have the time. ;_;

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Well, in those pics, you ARE missing the tiny Phillips-head screw which locks the large flower-nut. The grinding could be the tiny screw being scraped behind the clutch-plate. Get a pliers and back that flower-nut off and see what's behind the clutch-plate.

Mavaik

Sep 9, 2013
Springfield, Oregon
Well, in those pics, you ARE missing the tiny Phillips-head screw which locks the large flower-nut. The grinding could be the tiny screw being scraped behind the clutch-plate. Get a pliers and back that flower-nut off and see what's behind the clutch-plate.
The screw ain't there 'cause I removed it in another futile attempt to remove the flower nut. Suppose I SHOULD try needle-nose pliers and see if I can't pry it off (it's so beat up it needs replacing anyhow).

EDIT: I've also removed the magneto cover, and everything in that spot is as it should be. Hopefully next Monday I'll have the time to take the motor apart and get to the root of the problem.

Last edited:

Mavaik

Sep 9, 2013
Springfield, Oregon
I THINK I found the problem (or at least one of them, still gonna do a tear-down to be sure).

This lil' f***er decided to somehow come loose... And refuses to go back into place.

And the flower nut still won't budge.

Last edited:

Mavaik

Sep 9, 2013
Springfield, Oregon
I THINK I found the problem (or at least one of them, still gonna do a tear-down to be sure).

This lil' f***er decided to somehow come loose... And refuses to go back into place.

And the flower nut still won't budge.
After more struggling, still no progress. Marvin is still out of commission.

It seems as though the 'slot' where the small piece is supposed to go has somehow become warped.

As for the flower nut, not even WD-40 can loosen it up. :/

I have no idea how to proceed from here without causing further damage. ;_;

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Ok, ive run into this problem side of road... Using a small piece of something to pull in clutch lever all the way, assuming ur cable is tightened properly, take a flat head or phillips driver and place in one of the notches on the side closest to rear wheel, gently persuade it with sharp easy taps down toward ground...increase strength of blows if not budging...

If this still dont help, heat the center of flower nut with propane/map gas and try again...

Had one instance where I cut a small notch with dremel to make a spot for flat head driver to sit...that worked...dont give up...