grubee gt5 base gasket thickness???

GoldenMotor.com

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
What is the standard thickness of the grubee gt5 base gasket ?
I am getting some weaping out of my base gasket since i raised the comp to 11:1 and need to change it out. When i get the jug off i am going to do someore porting and open it up but i wanted to make my own base gasket from better gasket material and need to know the standard thickbess.
Also i would like to go thicker on the base gasket to raise the port timing some then grind down the floor ofcthe intake port to match the thickness added. Whats the best amount to raise the jug. ?

Was thinking raise the jug a little bit say .5mm more than stock with a thicker gasket then porting .5 off the bottom of the intake and exhaust to match it. This woyld give me the same floor hights as stock but the ports will be taller by .5 .
I know i will loose a little compression but that can be had back by decking the jug .5

Does this sound like a good idea to open up the motor and net me more revs ???

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
What is the standard thickness of the grubee gt5 base gasket ?
I am getting some weaping out of my base gasket since i raised the comp to 11:1 and need to change it out. When i get the jug off i am going to do someore porting and open it up but i wanted to make my own base gasket from better gasket material and need to know the standard thickbess.
Also i would like to go thicker on the base gasket to raise the port timing some then grind down the floor ofcthe intake port to match the thickness added. Whats the best amount to raise the jug. ?

Was thinking raise the jug a little bit say .5mm more than stock with a thicker gasket then porting .5 off the bottom of the intake and exhaust to match it. This woyld give me the same floor hights as stock but the ports will be taller by .5 .
I know i will loose a little compression but that can be had back by decking the jug .5

Does this sound like a good idea to open up the motor and net me more revs ???
Base gaskets range from 0.8 to 1.1mm, I'd say the average is 1mm though.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
alright so i am looking for 1.5 mm or .06 inch gasket paper tomorrow morning !

GOT TO pull the head and jug off and make a new gasket then refine my porting job, lower the intake .5mm lower the exahaust .5mm then deck down the jug face .5 to maintain 11:1 umm mabet i will not deck it down and lower comp a little IDK i will decide when i do it tomorrow.

also got to make a new exhaust gasket .... the stock composit ones are garbage and fall appart everytime you pull the header off !!!

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
alright so i am looking for 1.5 mm or .06 inch gasket paper tomorrow morning !

GOT TO pull the head and jug off and make a new gasket then refine my porting job, lower the intake .5mm lower the exahaust .5mm then deck down the jug face .5 to maintain 11:1 umm mabet i will not deck it down and lower comp a little IDK i will decide when i do it tomorrow.

also got to make a new exhaust gasket .... the stock composit ones are garbage and fall appart everytime you pull the header off !!!
My (1981) trade-school instructor told us how he added 2mm (or so) thick plates to the cylinder bases of Suzuki T500 twins used for short-course flat track racing. He, of course, decked the same (2mm) off of the top of cylinder and lowered the int and exh ports (the same amount) as a means of slightly increasing the length of the power stroke. According to him, this (along with bunch of other mods), made the starting-line acceleration on these machines akin to being "flipped out of a sling-shot.

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
yep, I've measured mine out to 1mm using a digital caliper (though because they're not 100% solid, its hard to get an accurate reading, which is why I said 0.8 to 1.1) getting squashed probably reduces it to 0.8mm, though they are pretty solid.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
yep, I've measured mine out to 1mm using a digital caliper (though because they're not 100% solid, its hard to get an accurate reading, which is why I said 0.8 to 1.1) getting squashed probably reduces it to 0.8mm, though they are pretty solid.
thank you so mutch i am located in MA and so is my bike .... all my machinist tools are way up in NH lol

i am glad i got the right size paper