Trouble adjusting carb; Temperature change; Fuel mixture problems

GoldenMotor.com

hartungej

May 31, 2011
Madison, WI
Hello,

After replacing a throttle cable recently, my engine really started bogging down and not running well. I took apart the carb and realized the carb adjustment needle was missing, which probably fell out after I installed the throttle cable. Amazingly, I was able to ride about 30-45 miles (with some decreased performance which I had attributed to a richer fuel mixture) before the engin wouldn't start anymore. After learning a little about carb adjustment, I noticed the missing needle. I replaced it from another engine I had around and it started immediately. I adjusted the carb a bit over the next couple of days and seemed to finally get it running about right a couple of days ago.

Then . . .
The next morning it started bogging down a bit, but did pretty well when it warmed up after several minutes of riding, then it ran as good on the way home. I adjusted the carb and it ran even better that evening. Then I had the same bogging the next AM, again with near normal performance on the way home. This AM, after changing nothing, I could barely get it started and warmed up. After about 10 minutes, it finally ran but not near full speed (up to 19mph instead of usual 23ish mph, but would bog at full throttle, which is not normal. The ambient tempeatures lately here in WI have been about 60 degrees in the early AM and about 75 degrees on my way home in the evening. Could this temperature change have something to do with my engine performance? Is there something else going on here?

FYI: I've been using Amsoil 32:1 while adjusting the carb, though Pablo said this was far too oily and told me to go to 50:1, which I was thinking about trying after this tank, especially if my performance doesn't improve.
My carb adjustment needle clip is as far down the needle as it can go, indicating, I think, that the engine is using a richer mixture. The spark plug is NOT oily. It looks rather gray and ashen, which suprises me since I'm using a rich mix and the carb adjustment is rich.

If anyone has any ideas about increasing my performance, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
needle clip
the c-clip at the top or fat end means lean, c-clip at the bottom end where the needle points mean rich. this only effect the rich/ lean to about 3/4 throttle main jet determines the mixture at wide open throttle. smaller hole mean lean bigger hole means rich.

hartungej

May 31, 2011
Madison, WI
Thanks Norm, that will be a good thing understand as I continue to adjustments. I leaned out the mixture to 50:1 synthetic amsoil and moved the c-clip to near the middle to account for this and the bike seems to be running much better already, though it still bogs just a little bit at full throttle.

I haven't ridden it in varying temps yet. I'll have to see if temperature still affects how it runs. So, then, I might have to eventually change the jet to run the bike in colder temps? Would you expect to need a larger jet or smaller jet to run in colder temps?

I'm hoping to put studs on this bike and ride it as far through a Wisconsin winter as possible, with possible temps ranging from 30 degrees to about 0-10degrees (though I might wimp out at the lower end of the temps). Does this sound possible?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
YAH!

A studded up HT in WI ...

Nothing wrong with that.

I'll betcha they do it all the time in mother russia!

Best
rc

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
colder temps equal a more dense air so slight richer mix if you have it right now you shouldn't need to mess with it, unless you go up in elevation a bunch. sea level to about 5,000ft where you would want to start leaning out the fuel. I live at 3200 aprx. so I have one size smaller mainjet. 0.070mm main is stock I run 0.065 mm I might have the wrote that wrong some but 70 and 65 in mm is right I think. I'm not good at metrics.
once you settle on the fuel mix 32 to 1 or 40 to 1 stick with that or what ever oil to fuel mix you like the books that come with these engines is translated wrong they say 16 to 1 or 24 to 1 which will soon fowl the spark plug.. then play with the jets and c-clip for best performance.

Nothing wrong with winter riding just dress for it mittens will keep your hands warmer than gloves, I know from working on oil rigs in -40 to -50 below 0 temps. a face mask will save your face from frost bite. Studs if you want I never have done them myself. If you have it leathers or a snow mobile suit helps. Just looks funny. but staying warn is important, looks screw that just keep warm so you can enjoy riding and not freezing.

Last edited: