E-bikes on dirtroads

GoldenMotor.com

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
How do e-bikes handle on dirt roads?
If it is a heavy bicycle with heavy SLA batteries not so good.

Like most bicycles a lite one costs more.

The motor and controller could be less than 10 lbs.

It's the batteries that add the weight.

Add from 10 lbs and up for batteries depending on how far you want to go.

Last edited:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Say a 26" 18spd steel mountain bike with a e-bike conversion kit mounted, that goes 20mph, would it keep moving decently on a dirt road with 2 batteries. 2 batteries=60miles.

Last edited:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
My bike is a professional mountain bike i got for 50 bucks at a yard sale. Retail price on these is $200-400. It doesn't have shocks but its quality made of steel. Rims are steel. Its a 26" Shimano Deore XTR. 18spd. Im gonna keep my gas engine mounted for when i know no cops are around. lol. I'd like to convert the front wheel to electric hub. Only thing is..i need to get the front wheel off to do so. Im thinking about taking the front tire off and just carry it on my pannier and buy a tire with the conversion hub already mounted. The previous owner put locktite on the quick release nut, The quick relase handle is just dangleing but the nut is unmoving. I've tried everything from vicegrips to monkey wrenches to get that quick release off. So far, no progress. lol

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
My bike is a professional mountain bike i got for 50 bucks at a yard sale. Retail price on these is $200-400. It doesn't have shocks but its quality made of steel. Rims are steel. Its a 26" Shimano Deore XTR. 18spd. Im gonna keep my gas engine mounted for when i know no cops are around. lol. I'd like to convert the front wheel to electric hub. Only thing is..i need to get the front wheel off to do so. Im thinking about taking the front tire off and just carry it on my pannier and buy a tire with the conversion hub already mounted. The previous owner put locktite on the quick release nut, The quick relase handle is just dangleing but the nut is unmoving. I've tried everything from vicegrips to monkey wrenches to get that quick release off. So far, no progress. lol
I don't care for those anyway. Get the grinder out ! :)

Sounds like a plan. Electric for on road and gas off road. :) Oh yeah ! :)

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I'd just have to jury rig the throttle for the electric hub onto my already crowded handle bars which is easy. :) Going offroad using the gas engine is so fun. Leaving ruts all the way is so cool. My moutainbike tires really dig in and make a cool trail. Especially turning corners at full speed...spraying sand. :) Pure awesomeness and ingenuity.

usv

Jun 19, 2011
SoCal
How do e-bikes handle on dirt roads?
Like a dream...there are draw backs & advantages...
a cell phone pic & a few stats of mi e-opti bikee
weekend warrior mission completed... on Twitpic
trip total 37.7 total miles, includes on road electric shuttle miles to the local dirt trail
Starting Voltage 83.5, end 74.9
Back pack Lipo power pack 20Ah = 24 lbs
Watt/hrs used 1,307
Max amps pulled 55.48
Volt min 73.8
Average speed 16.32 mph
Duration 2 hrs 16 mins
Average Cadence 67
Max speed downhill 54.94 mph