Where do you carry your spare gasoline.

GoldenMotor.com

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
i just checked now, i get around 80kms to a tank, and one small black teardrop tank is what
2 liters(1/2 gallon)
so thats 40km/L
converting that to mpg is approximately 95mpg,

thats not bad!!
my moped gets 200mpg, but it does 28kph, and wont go up any hills,

Engler

Nov 27, 2009
Florida
Walgreens has very light and sturdy aluminium drinking bottles for $2.99 and $3.99

I am not sure what kind od seal they have, most likely plastic.

GraingerDoodTim

Jun 20, 2009
Saint Petersburg, Fla
i have a 2cycle oil container that i got from ace hardware years ago. its really cool, you squeeze it and oil goes in the top where there are measurement lines. its not designed to be reused but if I can motorize a bicycle i can refill a oil bottle. so i carry that around with me and if i need to stop at the gas station.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
My bike weights around 70lbs+ and i weigh 125lbs and i get around 180mpg which is 90mpg @ 30mph wot all the time. so i dont need no spare gas, lol. but if i was going on a long long very long trip and there was no gasstation but there always is i would carry gas+oil in a soda bottle and take that with me(dont forget to wrap tape around the bottle and mark the words gas on it).

Last edited:

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I just get really drunk every night. Then in the morning I can piss in my gas tank and ride around for the day.

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
Go to any Outdoors or Camping store and buy a 32 oz. MSD can. That's what I use and I've had the same one since the 90's and it still doesn't leak.
Ive got 1 MSR 500ml tank and 3 1000ml tanks i have a frame water bottle mount for the 500ml--hope nobody tries to give me a drink--but its red--the other bottles go in my backpack if its my 4 stroke or on my backpack if its my Morini.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I used to run a 1.5 liter goped tank to feed my thirsty GP460 engine. I ran outa gas, so I bought two of these on ebay for $5.95 each, shipping included. Now it's $5.95 OR BEST OFFER, plus free shipping:

Spare Fuel bottle 530ml for S9 stove - eBay (item 180549657533 end time Oct-18-10 09:09:53 PDT)

I replaced the goped tank with a 4-liter Happy Time tank. I still kept my 18 oz. aluminum fuel bottle in the cage/holder.

xct2

UPDATE: If I filled both containers, it'd add about 9 lbs. to my bike's weight. I don't need to go that far, so I fill it half-tank.

Last edited:

scottmanesis

Dec 30, 2010
Austin, TX
Where did you find a 1 gallon tank? I've been looking for one.
I know it's an old thread but just in case you have not found it yet. A 1 gallon gas tank that looks just like the one the china kits comes with (other than it's alot bigger) can be found at pistonbikes(dot)com for 50 bucks.

I only know that as I have come across one of these MB's on craigslist and started doing some research. I am now convinced I can build a better bike for MUCH less than the guy was advertising thanks to the info I have found on this thread.

After recovering from the holidays I will post up some pics of my first build that I plan to do! :)

.shft.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh, had some extra "Kreem" left over from lining every tank I owned. So dumped it in a plastic ice-tea bottle. Works well and is 20oz.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I know it's an old thread but just in case you have not found it yet. A 1 gallon gas tank that looks just like the one the china kits comes with (other than it's alot bigger) can be found at pistonbikes(dot)com for 50 bucks.

I only know that as I have come across one of these MB's on craigslist and started doing some research. I am now convinced I can build a better bike for MUCH less than the guy was advertising thanks to the info I have found on this thread.

After recovering from the holidays I will post up some pics of my first build that I plan to do! :)

.shft.
Just keep in mind a big gas tank could be a limiting factor if it interferes with peddling. One of the unusual things about a MB is it can be driven by the motor or peddled. There can be circumstances where peddling is more desirable, such as riding a bike trail, or riding down a sidewalk. If you get in a situation where you need to stand up to peddle a big tank on the crossbar will be very annoying.

Also keep in mind you may not need as big a tank as you think you might. I'm getting 60-70 miles on slightly less than 1/2 GL. So far that's been more than enough for my longest ride, but it would be easy enough to carry an extra bottle on the rear rack if I thought I might need more for a really long ride.

I'm using 2 30oz camp stove fuel bottles for fuel tanks mounted to a dual seat post bottle rack.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My 4-liter tank fits well; my side-mounted 460 engine is directly below it, so no interference from the tank. I normally carry my 18oz fuel bottle and 2 quarts in the big tank. That way there's less spillage.

I guess I could get rid of the fuel bottle, but it takes no more space than a water bottle.