trouble with keeping 1999 Whizzer running

GoldenMotor.com

Chopperdude4

Dec 26, 2009
NC
cleaned the carburetor in carburetor cleaner like you guys said before but still have the same problem. it starts with starting fluid but doesn't keep running. got any ideas what the problem could be?

hurricane

Sep 20, 2010
america
you know chopper, i had a similar problem as you, it was on a 4 stroke motor for a 600watt generator. I removed and sprayed carb cleaner and i thought it was completly cleaned out. So I reinstalled the carb and still the same results, the engine would only run when I sprayed starter fluid in the carb.

So i removed the carb again , this time I unscrewed the jets and pushed a small wire cleaner thru it that I use for cleaning torch tips. Then I reinstalled carb and the engine fired right up.

Try again with removing your carb and cleaning the jets , you should be able to see daylight thru them, if not then they are dirty.

Hope this helps,I just know it worked for me.

the picture is an example of what a jet looks like

here is also a video example on how to clean a jet ,but its for a snowblower but it what Im talking about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjzasttXpMU

Attachments

Last edited:

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
I have also used a torch tip cleaning tool with good success. They have many sizes on the tool I used so it was easy to get the correct sizes for the jets. It is a handy tool to keep in the tool box.

Jim

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yes and they come in diferent lengths. You can get the longer ones and take them out make some wooden handles and cule them in. Then you can make a small rack to hold them. Awesome