That dog...

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
My van has had maintenance issues off and on since before I owned the motorbike. So if we needed something from the store (about a mile and a half away) I would walk. The road is very suburban-like with twisting 25 mph turns. It took quite some time to get to the store, though on most days I didn't mind. But sometimes there was this dog...
He's a pitbull mix. He gets loose often enough to be a problem. He doesn't strike me as intentionally dangerous, just curious. Curious as to what I tasted like.
He'd come up behind me, outta nowhere, on my walks and try to bite or "nip" me. I never knew quite how to handle him. But I think he may have been an insecure coward at heart.
My wife recently sent me out to CVS drug store to pick up some medicine and I decided that, since the van now has electrical problems, I would just take the bike. So, on that lovely, twisting, turning, loads-of-fun-on-a-motorbike road, I saw the dog up ahead. In the road.
I didn't know what he'd do. I couldn't think of anything else to do. So I opted for gunning it, riding straight at him, (no I wasn't gonna hurt him) and laughing loud and maniacally.
He ran so fast he tripped over the curb. drn2 Oh lawdy, you should have all seen it. Now I think he's scared to death of the machine. Just as it should be.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
years ago i used to ride my skateboard to a 7-11 down the street and there was this dog, same kind as you described, that would run out, bite my board, and nip at my feet, and every now and then it'd get really agressive and lunge at me, all the while the owners sat on the porch and laughed.

i used to cross the street all the time so it wouldn't come after me.

one time, it saw me crossing the street, took off after me, and got ran over by both wheels of a big delivery truck. killed it instantly, right in front of it's owners.

i didn't lose any sleep over it.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
The owners of dogs like that need a serious ***** slap, I love dogs I've raised them all my life. Well the guy I bought my bronco from has a pit ( I have nothing against pits, they are my favorite dog, and I own one now.) I was checking out the rig and his dog growled, and not one of those I'm really just a coward , and scared growls. Instead it was a I dare you to come down here so I can bite your face growl. If my dog EVER did that I would be pummeling him immediately, I would never own a dog with that behavior, but then again if he was my dog he wouldn't behave that way period. Some people need to understand the word discipline humans are the same way, the only ones that are real mouthy and try to start **** are the stupid cowards that will more than likely run if you show some intent to hurt them. Thing my buddies dog doesn't realize, I was raised with rots and I fought and played with them all the time, anydog who thinks he can just bite me has got another thing comming. Dogs are easy to topple and choke out if necessary. I actually almost got in a fight with some guy because his dog ran down the alley trying to attack me, well I kicked it's ass, what the **** else am I supposed to do, let it bite me?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
All domesticated dogs should be taught rules and discipline. Some dogs need a firmer hand than others. The dog I know has never had that. You can tell by his behavior. If his owners do not teach him what is acceptable, and make a better effort to keep him on his own property, I predict he will wind up dead. And, as it has been pointed out, the owners will be to blame. I actually feel for the dog more that I do for the irresponsible owners.