Anyone actually race these bikes?

GoldenMotor.com

Bill in Oregon

Apr 25, 2010
southern Oregon
I have really enjoyed roaming around here on the boardtracker board looking at all these fabulous bike builds. But I have to wonder if anyone actually races these bikes? Are there any board tracks left?
It would be totally cool to see a bunch of these classics whizzing about, with their riders in period gear.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
Hi Bill, the board tracks were abandoned because people were being killed while watching and riding. Wood doesn' last long laying on the ground too.
I guess the closest to that will be the Motorcycle Cannonball race coming up where guys are going to ride across the country on antique cycles.
Can you say deep pockets?

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
we'll be running a race in june here in ohio, there will be some board trackers there. click on my sig for info and some vid of last years race. dirt tack though not boards.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Splinters are scary... Took a 6" splinter to the hand riding an old door down a steep hill in summer camp. Good times.

But I've never even seen a board track race. Love the bikes, though.

Bill in Oregon

Apr 25, 2010
southern Oregon
Dmar: Wouldn't it be something to see -- and hear -- even if these were just motorized bikes and not the brakeless 1,000-cc Indians and Excelsiors that put an end to the era?
I note that a number of wood velodromes have been built in recent years. Someone ought to "rent" one of these venues for 'board tracker" MBs and then film the heck out of it.

Last edited:

SubCom

Feb 5, 2010
San Diego
There is an outdoor paved velodrome in San Diego. I have been talking to their board to see if I can swing a motorized bike race there. They are sketchy about insurance.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Ah yes, gotta love insurance companies and legislators.

We'll protect you from common-sense things by advising you not to drink the Drano (duh!) or having your infant play with plastic shopping bags for risk of suffocation but we'll allow companies to put loads of carcinogenic chemicals in your food that will kill you instead over a long period of time.

What ever happened to the good old days where kids didn't have to be told the dangers of simple things and the food was safe? It's all a$$ backwards now.