My first build - gasket?!

GoldenMotor.com

Boredomfiend

Jun 8, 2009
Long Beach, CA
So I finished my first build about 4 days ago. Since then, I've been trying to break it in a bit, get the performance levels to balance so I'd know how it was running. Problem was, I couldnt get it to idle no matter what I tried, the choke ran better than the normal, and day by day the normal was running worse and worse.

Couldnt figure it out. scratg

Today I went in to reinforce all my connections (I'm already using high grade steel posts, so I added a 2nd strong nut to each one with lock-tite, red or blue) and I noticed that the carberator was soaked with gas. I looked around until I saw the intake gasket... and could only find a couple shred left, on the outside of both bolts. Nothing left near the intake. I replaced it with a high-heat liquid gasket and sealed it back up. Now its running stronger than it did when I first put it together, and it idles like a champ.
.bld.

Is it common for the intake gasket to last less than an hour of run-time? Was this a fluke or should I just automatically replace it as soon as my kit arrives?

More importantly (rather, more immediate..) should I be concerned about the other gaskets failing? Do I need to upgrade the engine and exhaust gaskets or are those usually ok?

TheDave
Long Beach, CA

If you want to see it, I have it listed here. Forget that its an ad, it just happens to be the only place I have pictures hosted right now. (unless you're interested or want to pass it on) =)
.mbv. Motorized Mtn Bike - NEW Engine 66c

Last edited:

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
Is it common for the intake gasket to last less than an hour of run-time? Was this a fluke or should I just automatically replace it as soon as my kit arrives?

More importantly (rather, more immediate..) should I be concerned about the other gaskets failing? Do I need to upgrade the engine and exhaust gaskets or are those usually ok?
Out of a few dozen engines about half had intake gasket disintgrate within the first month or two. I replaced with Fedex envelope cardboard and not one problem so far. What the heck is that red stuff they make those out of?

Strangely no problems with other gaskets though.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I purchased the copper gasket from Manic Mechanic.Once installed (thinking it was sealed) 5 or so miles down the road there is oil spitting out all over from the gasket not being sealed correctly.Should I use some gasket sealer on the copper gasket or what should I do? Thanks.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Often times the mating surfaces themselves are flawed badly. Rough and unfinished - even the best of gaskets will have trouble sealing unless the area is dressed and made flush.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Ah yes.I guess when the new Dremel gets here,I'll have a use for it:) I don't prefer using gasket sealant as it can be a messy look.Other than that,is there something one would suggest for the copper gasket?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
erm, fer mating surfaces - it's best to pull the studs out and use a bit of fine sandpaper on a piece of glass to dress the faces, a Dremel is a wonderful tool - but not so much for this application as you'd prolly gouge more than you'd flatten.

"Best case scenario" you wouldn't need gaskets at all if the faces were "perfect" - but that's unlikely lol The copper gasket really is best - there must be a flaw somewhere.

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Well just took another look at the copper gasket I received from Manic last Friday,it is bent on the ride side of the gasket.Right now I have a few paper gasket materials (poorly made) that I put onto the exhaust,hopefully they will work intill I can figure something out for the copper gasket.I don't want to do much to the bike as I'm still awaiting for the mounting kit from Manic Mechanic but I really want to get out n ride!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I see no point at all in those aluminum and copper gaskets. The CYLINDER is made of aluminum. If you have to machine the surface then it makes most sense to go with no gasket at all.

As mentioned I had excellent result using Fedex envelope for the intake and I can't see anything better than the stock exhasut gasket. It compresses and seals perfectly even if the surfaces are off.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Metal gaskets are supposed to be a slightly softer alloy than what they're bolted to, as such they conform to the slight surface irregularities and seal very well if properly torqued.

Unlike the traditional paper gaskets they are not permeable and can be reused almost infinitely. They are also FAR more pressure resistant than any paper gasket could dream of.

Having said that - I just cut my own from a quality, thick gasket material lol, but if I actually had the copper ones I'd use 'em ;)

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
If the copper gasket isn't flat use something to flatten it. Just be gentle you won't have to hit it very hard. A few strokes with a flat file that's wider then the mating face of your exhaust will true it up and you'll have to more worries. It's impossible to make these kits at this price and have them be perfect.

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida
use a flat file and smooth out the surface of the muffler flange. flaws in the castind and 'ridges' are common. replace the gasket with a metalic one and use COPPER PLUS heat resistant gasket sealer/maker available most autoparts stores.
reapply each time you disassemble.

scott83

Oct 23, 2009
Indiana
Anyone ever use permatex coppercoat on these gaskets... I reused head gaskets on a honda civic with coppercoat without a hitch ...just let it cure brushed on another coat let it cure and no problems.