hookworms and 24 inch equivalent

GoldenMotor.com

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I noticed maxxis doesnt make 24" hookworm tires.
I also noticed everyone and their mother rides hookworms that rides fast. I was wondering if someone could tell me the benefit of this tire over other tires, also, for those riding 24" rims who like hookworm tires, what do you go for to get that same kind of performance you're after?

Ive got 2 different rim sizes 26 and 24 in back so im looking at potentially buying 2 different tires.
Im running a 26 x 2.0 knobby in the front because its the biggest tire i have volumetrically
and im running 24 x 1.75 in the back, because i want to lower the profile of my bike.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
you can get 26" hookworms still.

the hookworm has a really stiff sidewall, and a smooth, grippy, bead to bead tread which makes it an ideal tire for racing on a track.

you're usually not getting the same lean angles on a street cruiser, so they're not really necessary, and they wear out on the top quicker.

they're also a pain to fit into your fenders and frame on a street bike, 'cause they're so fat.

the tire itself won't make your bike any faster on the street, except for the low rolling resistance with the smooth tread, so they're not really worth it unless you're racing.

kenda makes a 24" tire again, the Kiniption, which is a 24x2.3. they discontinued it for a while, but brought it back.

it's got bead to bead tread, and has a cool rounded look to it.

the new ones are different, they now have a foldable bead, unlike the old ones which where steel beads. all that means is they're not as stiff as the old ones.

i raced with kiniptions on the tucson track and loved 'em.

i just picked up 4 of them for 20 bucks each from biketiresdirect.com

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Kiniptions are pretty nice IMO, but they do wear out rather quickly under high load, from my experience.

I ran a pair of 26x2.3 Kiniptions on my bike, the rear got bald in the center after 1500 miles, the front still had about 2/3 of it's tread left.
I weigh ~230lbs and my bike weighs about 75. Kiniptions have an excellent profile for bending corners and they are rather inexpensive. I was hard on mine.

Bonus for OP: They are made in 24" and 26", so you'll have matching tires on your ride! :D