Apb

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Because I get to work early at the City-County Building, I get to leave early. So there I am at 4pm waiting at the bus stop with about 6 to 8 fellow citizens when a bright blue PT Cruiser suddenly, without signalling, changes lanes and wipes out the guy on the scooter next to him. The man in the PT Cruiser could not have helped but HEAR the THUMP that the scooter made, but HE KEPT DRIVING ANYWAY. The man on the scooter slides into a construction zone, which luckily kept him from getting run over by the drivers behind him. He was cursing up a storm, but not getting up right away.

Everbody on my side of the street looked shocked and weren't moving. So I knew it would have to be me. I'd been stiff since I got up today so I had my cane with me, but I watched for traffic then hobbled over to check on the man. He was managing to get up, but the scooter was busted up a bit and wouldn't start. To say that the rider was furious wouldn't begin to cover it.

I saw across the street that one of my fellow bus riders was calling it in on her cell phone, but I decided to call as well. Some IMPD officers know me so I gave my name to dispatch, let 'em know what I saw - nobody got the plate number but I told them the PT Cruiser would have new damage or scrapes on the driver's side. Thanked 'em all for looking out for us two-wheelers, buttered 'em up a bit.

Our bus driver was calling his fellow bus drivers, we gave the description of the PT Cruiser to him. I then called back up to my department and asked my co-workers to watch for the PT Cruiser when they were driving home. As my bus began its meandering route through downtown, my boys-in-blue were fanning out, lit up like Christmas trees. The deputies, not to be outdone, were coming out of the woodwork too. The bus drivers were talking back and forth. Andy said, on the phone, that he'd be spreading the word across the department.

Last I checked, Hit-and-Run with bodily injury is a felony in this town, so if the scooter rider has anything wrong with him, the Cruiser driver is in deep fecal matter. I'm not going to just watch some jacka** run down a man on two wheels and drive off like nothing happened. Somebody's going to be making sure he does the right thing. The cops, the bus drivers, and my friends all know they have to find this guy first. Or I'll start looking.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well we all should be accountable for our actions. Its the right thing to do. This driver lost his honer IMO. I agree there is no way in heck that driver could not have heard that impact. Any time a dent gets made especially to a small car like that its a very noticeable audible sound.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
UPDATE: somebody out there may be wondering if I've heard yet whether the guilty driver was caught. Well,...at this point I am obligated to state that, as a county employee, I am expressly forbidden to discuss business or subjects of the courts outside of work due to being bound by a confidentiality clause. (*wink, wink*)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Well we all should be accountable for our actions. Its the right thing to do. This driver lost his honer IMO. I agree there is no way in heck that driver could not have heard that impact. Any time a dent gets made especially to a small car like that its a very noticeable audible sound.
...Not to mention that, the second he went down, the guy on the scooter cut loose with a vivid and deafening string of obcenities that could very well have been heard in Chicago. Not many people nearby missed that. There's nothing like being able to cuss like a sailor at the top of your lungs to call attention to having suffered a wrong or injury. :)