Installing A Brake Switch

GoldenMotor.com

AssembleThis

May 11, 2014
NC United States
For my first build I decided to go with a Yamaha break switch. It appears to be well made. Making the bracket to hold it was easy. Took some scrap 1" angle iron and cut two peaces. The first one 1" long, which I drilled a mounting hole through it for a 5m stainless bolt. The second one cut to 2" with a 1/2" hole drilled to hold the switch. It's important to get the sizes right and drill the holes before welding. Makes for much easier assembly. Next I welded the two peaces to form a box. Make sure the orientation is correct before welding. Then sanding or sandblasting and painting. Before mounting the switch I removed the spring and reversed it to hold a pulley. Mounting the cable to the spring itself not a good idea, it kinks it and creates a break point. Next I mounted the pulley and turned the spring end over and around so the pulley cant come off. Next I made a cable clamp. Using 1/2" scrap solid steel rod I drilled one hole big enough to pass the width of two cables. Then I cut it off at about 1/2". I then drilled and tapped for 6m stainless steel bolt perpendicular to the first hole. As you can see it came out very nice, all that's needed for it to be finished is to cut the cable and crimp a cable end on it. The electrical connections will be done after I fabricate my electronics box.
http://i.imgur.com/25O8cVU.jpg
I did test it's operation. The switch has an internal spring so there is back tension, which means no erroneous contacts caused by vibration. I set it so I don't even have to apply the brakes to activate it, just pulling the dual brake lever about 1/4" will turn my brake lights on.
zpt
Hope this helps out. Having a break light is very important in my area, would highly recommend it where ever you ride.
Have fun and stay tuned to the AssembleThis channel!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Re: Installing A Break Switch

Jus' to add as brake lights are good ;) If you haven't a dual-pull or integrated shifters, the switched levers ebikes use to activate regen can also be used to switch any LED brake light instead as it's your basic momentary on, two wire switch. This two-tone aluminum set is commonly found on ebay & amazon for as little as $8-10, ebike retailers usually offer the same for a few bucks more;

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

A BREAK switch, most of these bikes don't need a switch to break them, they break just fine on their own hehehe ;-}

For a BRAKE switch a magnetic switch would work well.
If you have an old electronic spedo the front wheel wheel pickup is a magnetic switch and the magnet mounts to a spoke.

You could just mount a small magnet on a brake arm or the dual pull brake lever and the little pickup nearby.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado

I did one on a bike a couple of years ago using the mercury switch from an old Honeywell thermostat. I mounted it so when the bike was sitting level or moving forward the mercury tube was slightly tilted toward the rear of the bike. When you applied brakes the inertia would cause the mercury to roll forward into the contacts. When the bike stopped the mercury would roll back breaking the electrical connection.
I sold the bike but the owner said the brake light still works.

Tom