Cap and wire with plug crown

GoldenMotor.com

rocksalt27

Oct 24, 2013
Portland, ME
I'm putting a better cap and wire on my NGK plug. It's a regular cap with the spring clip inside-I need to put the crown back on the plug. Is that cool? Because they tell you to take it off for the stock plug and cap, but is that just so it will fit together or is there a heat consideration as well?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If your "better cap and wire" is automotive grade you'll need the top cap on the plug. The kit supplied plug boot requires that it be removed because it rides on the threads where the cap goes. Most aftermarket spark plug boots are meant to be used with a plug with a top cap installed.
Oh, and throw that kit boot in the trash. That's where they all belong.

Tom

rocksalt27

Oct 24, 2013
Portland, ME
OK that's what I figured-it's just a different type of clip. The cap and wire I have is a small engine type, not Chinese. Might just be a Homelite, but even that's probably way better. What's wrong with the stock, is it high resistance or something? I mean, it's just a wire.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
OK that's what I figured-it's just a different type of clip. The cap and wire I have is a small engine type, not Chinese. Might just be a Homelite, but even that's probably way better. What's wrong with the stock, is it high resistance or something? I mean, it's just a wire.
The spark plug wire isn't the problem. It is that plastic boot that snaps, or is supposed to snap, onto the top of the plug. The ones that come with almost every engine kit is the weakest link. It is heavy. It doesn't make good electrical contact with the spark plug. It is prone to loosening, even falling off with engine vibrations. The internal parts often loosen and fall out.

The electrical connection to the spark plug is a high voltage connection. The better that connection the better spark your plug can provide to combustion.
The kit plug boots are notorious for causing many of the running issues with the Chinese 2 stroke engines.
Your choice of a Homelite item is a good one. Just make sure the metal connector inside the boot makes good contact with the conductor of the plug wire from the CDI. I prefer to solder the wire to the connector as opposed to relying on just a crimped connection.

Tom