What are the benefits of a better CDI

GoldenMotor.com

Nevada

Nov 29, 2013
Reno, Nevada
I've got 2 bikes. One in the build stage and one that's already ridable. Both have the stock Chinese CDI units on them. I'm curious to learn from some of you more experienced folks, what's the advantage of having one of the higher quality CDI units. Increased spark? I don't know about that as an advantage. I mean seriously, gasoline has a super low flash point. Around -45 or so. Doesn't take much spark to ignite something like that. Does a bigger match make a bigger fire. I don't think so. I've heard they prolong the engine life and reduce vibration by altering the timing of the spark. That I could see as a benefit. I understand that the spark plug firing at just the right moment when the piston is at just the right position can have an effect on detonation AND overall power. What I don't get is how a simple CDI such as our bikes have, can alter the timing of the spark.

I ask of the fine folks here on the forum. Enlighten and educate me..

Forgive me if I'm asking a question that's been answered a dozen times already.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
There are a couple of aftermarket CDI's out that use an adjustable board and larger aftermarket coil but they are aimed at high compression race engines and run like $80.

Most work by changing the RC timing circuit, heck I have my own little PC board etched and parts on hand I will be testing soon with the same features but unless you are going high performance for racing you can do what I do as standard on every 2-stroke build to get a little more performance:

1. Replace the stock plug with an NGK 5944 Iridium plug (BPR*HIX) where the * is a heat number between 5 and 8.
The lower the number the more heat you engine retains.

Here in Arizona I run 7's for the most part but in August when it's 110+F for a rider riding a couple hours at a time an 8 is in order to keep the engine cooler. Just note that if you go too high a number for the conditions you will foul plugs as it's the heat that self cleans the plugs.

It's winter now so if it is cold where you are a 6 or even 5 would be better but running too hot of course is not the way you want to go either, as cool as you go without fouling is the ticket.

2. Replace the junk mag to coil wire with some insulated 16g wire.
I use indoor/outdoor speaker wire I buy at a $1 a foot on a 50' spool as it looks good and bends well but you can cut a chunk out of any 'universal' power cable for PC's and TV's and such.

The object is to direct wire the magneto to the coil with nice fat continuous wire for less losses.

My speaker wire has red and white internal wires so don't get confused by colors, pick a color for your blue and black wire matches and solder them right to the mag.

At the CDI I just cut the little shrink wrap where the wires come out back, cut one wire very short, the other a little longer and match up the individual lengths from my wire.

Then I attach the kill button to the same connection and just cap it off with a $.50 plastic hobby box and glue it on.

I got fancy on many new builds and wired in an ignition keylock switch as well.

In that case I fill the box up with epoxy so the switch can't be defeated and trying to will break the CDI wire rendering it useless so the would be thief has to buy and re-wire in a new CDI.

A keylock won't keep the bike from being pedal ridden or carried away, it will prevent the thief for firing the engine ;-}

I used to do keylocks in the plastic box on all my builds and even sold all the parts to do this awhile back as simple parts in a bag for $17 delivered anywhere to completed units with CDI for more but ran out of parts.

I recently replenished my supplies in bulk and will be offering some new ignition kit options for sale early next year that may be pretty cool, though I can work building new motorized bicycles year-round here I tend to like doing the simple indoor stuff during the holidays.

Nevada

Nov 29, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Great information KC. I'll take the advice on the NGK plugs for sure. I picked up a triple prong plug off of ebay for $6.00, impulse buy. Are they worth a hoot? Not sure of the heat range of the plug.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Great information KC. I'll take the advice on the NGK plugs for sure. I picked up a triple prong plug off of ebay for $6.00, impulse buy. Are they worth a hoot? Not sure of the heat range of the plug.
Would that be the LD Z4JC tri-fire plug?

I have half a shoebox full of new Z4JC and the single prong Z4C stock kit plugs I never used after trying a few, I have no clue if they have a heat range but I would think it would be the 4 if it does but no way to compare it to say how NGK rates them, I can't even find a spark plug company called LD to even look it up.

It's been a moot point to me for a couple years now though, from the day I dropped in my first NGK 5944 and actually felt the difference that was that, it was added to my list of standard parts for all new builds and as replacements for existing builds when their LD plugs died.

Anyone want a box of new LD's for cheap?

Toastyy1990

Dec 3, 2013
Illinois
Going to bring this thread back from the dead a bit...
I'm not getting any spark on my china engine, and I was wondering how to go about testing the magneto. Which wires should I run the test between and what resistance readings should I want? I'll be replacing the wiring soon with the thicker wiring like you mentioned already, KC, but for now I just want it to run.
Everything is stock currently except a B6HS plug.
Thanks

EDIT:
I found the trouble shooting document in another thread on this forum, and tested the wiring on either side of the magneto. It read 8 mega ohms. LOL
I would say the magneto is bad. I'll be replacing that, I suppose.

Does anyone have any suggestions for which one I should get? I guess I'd like an upgrade, but I wouldn't like to spend a heck of a lot of money.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Going to bring this thread back from the dead a bit...
I'm not getting any spark on my china engine, and I was wondering how to go about testing the magneto. Which wires should I run the test between and what resistance readings should I want? I'll be replacing the wiring soon with the thicker wiring like you mentioned already, KC, but for now I just want it to run.
Everything is stock currently except a B6HS plug.
Thanks

EDIT:
I found the trouble shooting document in another thread on this forum, and tested the wiring on either side of the magneto. It read 8 mega ohms. LOL
I would say the magneto is bad. I'll be replacing that, I suppose.

Does anyone have any suggestions for which one I should get? I guess I'd like an upgrade, but I wouldn't like to spend a heck of a lot of money.
(smiles)
Most magnetos have a black, blue and white wire.
Just cut the white wire off at the mag.

With the CDI disconnected you should get ~325 ohms between black and blue, polarity doesn't matter but be in 1K or 10K range to test.
That is the small resistance of the wire in the windings which is pretty close to a dead short as it actually is just a continuous piece of wire.

http://gasbike.net sells a new mag with their 2-stroke 'parts in a box' kit, it has no secondary white wire winding so just black and blue wires, but I don't see them for sale alone so you'll have to do with a standard 3 wire one for $10.
http://www.gasbike.net/sparker-wire-magneto.html

To check your CDI there is only really one test and it doesn't test it all.
Set your meter to 10K or 20K.
Put the Red + meter lead on the black wire.
Put the Black - meter lead into the spark plug cap.
You should get ~7K +/- 2K Ohms resistance and it may vary as it charges but it should stop soon and not keep going as you hold it there as it is the output cap you are testing and what usually goes bad.