Catalytic Converter Can Cause Burns

GoldenMotor.com

HT2005

Aug 23, 2008
Long Island, NY
Back in May I went for a 12 mile bike ride around the local roads. I had done this once or twice before then. The differences were that I was using a rich fuel mixture of about 22:1, I was riding the bike hard, and it was hot outside. I also had a Black Catalytic Converter on my chinese engine.
After about 2 miles of riding I noticed this burning feeling on my left ancle and lower leg. I thought it might have been sunburn or something like that as i was wearing shorts and sandles. As the feeling got worse I looked down to see my leg. The side facing the muffler was red. I kept riding on, but the feeling soon got unbearable. It felt like blisters were forming and popping simultaneousely on my leg and ancle. I noticed that as I moved my leg away form the muffler the pain went away. My leg was 3 inches from the muffler and it was hot.
If I were in a crash I could have seriousely burned myself on the muffler if the bike were on top of me. If you have a Black Cat on your bike be careful by wearing jeans and making sure that you use a reasonable amount of natural oil or use a synthetic oil. I now use Amsoil Saber Pro and have not had problems with excessive heat. Be careful with these!

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Back in May I went for a 12 mile bike ride around the local roads. I had done this once or twice before then. The differences were that I was using a rich fuel mixture of about 22:1, I was riding the bike hard, and it was hot outside. I also had a Black Catalytic Converter on my chinese engine.
After about 2 miles of riding I noticed this burning feeling on my left ancle and lower leg. I thought it might have been sunburn or something like that as i was wearing shorts and sandles. As the feeling got worse I looked down to see my leg. The side facing the muffler was red. I kept riding on, but the feeling soon got unbearable. It felt like blisters were forming and popping simultaneousely on my leg and ancle. I noticed that as I moved my leg away form the muffler the pain went away. My leg was 3 inches from the muffler and it was hot.
If I were in a crash I could have seriousely burned myself on the muffler if the bike were on top of me. If you have a Black Cat on your bike be careful by wearing jeans and making sure that you use a reasonable amount of natural oil or use a synthetic oil. I now use Amsoil Saber Pro and have not had problems with excessive heat. Be careful with these!

Word !....always wondered when I'd see a post about how close these mufflers are to the pedal.....suggestions anyone ?