Awesome find on CL!!!

GoldenMotor.com

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Yes sir,,
Got it home and went over it,,the guy tried to force the spark plug cap onto a plug with the nipple on end so that was cracked,,no big deal,,grubee never greased the primary,the cables where all stiff and dry,but I put fresh gas/oil in and it fired right up,,runs a little lean so might have a leak,,but for the price it was a great find,,the back wheel and tires are brand new with upgraded spokes,new shimano free wheel,pirate cycle adapter,he also threw in a box of stuff including a roll 15ft.of yellow cable sheath,the original sprocket and rag joint,and a set of brand new in box derailer cables.

Took it for a short ride and it ran good,,had a little bog unless choke was cracked,,
I noticed the fuel flow from the tank is a little slow even with cap cracked so that might
be one of the reasons its running so lean,main jet was clear.Im gonna play with the needle clip position, float level,and O-ring the carb this week,,should fix it right up!

Good times

Tom :)

Last edited:

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
A Trek in great shape for the price of the kit alone! I'm so jealous...
Dude,,
I really didnt want to spend any $$ but I couldn't pass this up,,I saw it 2 hours after it was posted,,he said that there where 8 emails in his box this morning,,he talked to one guy that wanted it for his girlfriend and me,,I told him I was a builder and he said well then your my guy,,he did not want the guys girlfriend to get hurt on it.

BTW-Its running pretty sweet now,It starts so easy I grab the seat and pick the back tire off the ground and give it a pedal/kick boom fires right up on first kick,,I did all the adjustments to it,,seems a little sluggish compared to my first build but well get it tuned in,,just got back from wallyworld with a nice digital speedo and mirror for it,,think Im keeping this one for me :)

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Whenever I see something like this going for that cheap on CL, I always wonder if it's stolen. The fact that he had some of the original parts (ragjoint) helps, but it still sounds too good to be true. Nothing that sweet ever happens to me, I always end up paying through the nose. Bad kharma I guess, I must have been a real bad person in a previous life I guess...

Congrats on your new acquisition, hope it goes well for you.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Whenever I see something like this going for that cheap on CL, I always wonder if it's stolen. The fact that he had some of the original parts (ragjoint) helps, but it still sounds too good to be true. Nothing that sweet ever happens to me, I always end up paying through the nose. Bad kharma I guess, I must have been a real bad person in a previous life I guess...

Congrats on your new acquisition, hope it goes well for you.
Thanks Dave!
Well maybe,,but the guy seemed very clean cut and said he built it for his wife who was 10 years older than him at 63 who recently had heart surgery,,he was not that handy of a guy mechanically,,all the parts on the kit where still loose,,i guess thats a good thing nothing was broken or over tightened.You may be right,,but i think he just got frustrated with the tight carb slide and messed up throttle handle mechanism to be honest,,who ever built the bike set out to do it the right way with the upgraded rear wheel and spokes also using a high quality donor bike.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Wanted to update,,
Went for a 17 mile ride yesterday and she held up great,got back and the only thing that might have came a smidgen loose was the muffler nuts,,head bolts where still right on specs,,not bad for stockies,,not as much torque as my luckyearlybird motor,,but alot less vibration,,so thats good,,its still 4 stroking alot,I ran a steady 20-23 mph and pulled some good hills,,need to run it hard for another tank or so before I tune it in,,the Trek is an awesome,solid,smooth bike,,that i will probably keep for a while.
Clutch dont stink anymore either after the ride so thats good!

Good times...

Tom :)

Last edited:

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Any idea how many miles it had on it before you got it? Or are you still breaking it in?

Kudos on the vibration issue, most of these China Girls aren't balanced for squat from the factory & shake like a titty dancer on meth, mine sure does. I can always tell when I'm doing 30 cause everything in my mirrors becomes a blur. Thank the Gods for Locktite.

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Hahaha,, that's right!!!

The motor only had one trip around the block on it from him,,the slide in the carb was stuck,,and it would not run right due to an air leak,,so he put it away after that.I took the head off and there was no sign of carbon,,plus the original rag joint sprocket was never used,,and the pirate cycle's sprocket that was on the adapter had no wear at all,,not even any lube marks on it.He also broke the throttle twist assembly trying to force it to go.I have a feeling it was a guy with little to no mechanical ability,,and the normal cliches of the build took the wind out of his sails.His loss my gain!

Tom:)

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Wow, great find!! It pays to check craigslist for deals. I just got a Diamond Back 26", 18 speed mountain bike for $10 from craigslist. All it needed was a tire and an inter tube on the front to get it peddling good. It's kinda old school. No shocks, I don't know what year it is. It has pretty nice riser handlebars, both Derailleurs work good and it hits all the gears smoothly. The seat looks surprisingly in good shape. It has been sitting in the hot CA sun for what looks like at least 2 summers. Very slight surface rust on the frame at the rear wheel mount as well as on the breaks and quick release seat. Pretty easy to fix that. The biggest problem is someone spray painted the frame rainbow colors very badly! What were they thinking?? I need to strip off the old paint and repaint it. But for $10 I couldn't resist. I'm planning on doing the paint job, throwing on a cheap 2 stroke stock kit on it that I scored on ebay for $105 + $30 shipping. And seeing what I can get for it. Or maybe just keeping it around as a spare motorbike.

Attachments

Last edited:

577-Jersey

Mar 23, 2013
central western nj
Wow, great find!! It pays to check craigslist for deals. I just got a Diamond Back 26", 18 speed mountain bike for $10 from craigslist. All it needed was a tire and an inter tube on the front to get it peddling good. It's kinda old school. No shocks, I don't know what year it is. It has pretty nice riser handlebars, both Derailleurs work good and it hits all the gears smoothly. The seat looks surprisingly in good shape. It has been sitting in the hot CA sun for what looks like at least 2 summers. Very slight surface rust on the frame at the rear wheel mount as well as on the breaks and quick release seat. Pretty easy to fix that. The biggest problem is someone spray painted the frame rainbow colors very badly! What were they thinking?? I need to strip off the old paint and repaint it. But for $10 I couldn't resist. I'm planning on doing the paint job, throwing on a cheap 2 stroke stock kit on it that I scored on ebay for $105 + $30 shipping. And seeing what I can get for it. Or maybe just keeping it around as a spare motorbike.
Sweet deal,,
Just the wheels alone for $10 is a great deal,,I finally found a set of 26"wheels for the huffy frame I have,,they are alloy,quick release,,$15 dollars and about a 40 mile trip tonight,,so far I will only have about $45 into the whole bike,,I try to keep my CL bikes under $50 that way i can make some $$ after the kit is installed :)

BTW-The bike in my avatar is the one that I found on CL,,its such a good running bike Ive decided too keep it as my own for the Summer,,so far have done HDchain,hardware,seat,tool bag,digital speedometer,grease,and carb upgrades

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Great deal! Its also good that you found someone who will sell to California!
Well as I understand CA law: It is against the law to sell a china girl to a retail customer from outside the state of CA and to ship it into the state of CA but it is not against the law to sell and ship them within the state of CA. As long as you don't sell them retail from outside the state it is perfectly legal to sell them, ship them and own them within the state of CA. Also, it is not against the law to sell the parts necessary to build one yourself. All the above can be waved if you pay off the right government agencies.

"Sieg Heil!!"

The person I got it from on ebay was located in Pomona, CA. Shipping it within the state only took 1 day but I did get charged CA sales tax.