Indiana's possible new motor bicycle laws

GoldenMotor.com

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi I was on in.gov site looking at the new bill they might pass. i am all for it.
it takes off the 50cc engine restriction, and goes fron 25 mph to 30 mph, but it had to requires registration for mopeds and motor driven cycles and tax.

but any size motor no longer needs to be automatic transmission and no drivers license just 30mph top speed.

ok now to the fun part take off the peddels and it becomes a motor driven cycle, any size motor and can go over 30mph.

you will need operator's license of any kind and insurance

the operator of a motor driven cycle must hold a license or permit.

can you say10 hp cycle lol here is the link to this bill it has not passed yet

but i am call my congressman and say **** yaaaa

here is the link

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2013/HB/HB1523.1.html

update it has been changed from 30mph to 35mph cooooool lol

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Hi I was on in.gov site looking at the new bill they might pass. i am all for it.
it takes off the 50cc engine restriction, and goes fron 25 mph to 30 mph, but it had to requires registration for mopeds and motor driven cycles and tax.

but any size motor no longer needs to be automatic transmission and no drivers license just 30mph top speed.

ok now to the fun part take off the peddels and it becomes a motor driven cycle, any size motor and can go over 30mph.

you will need operator's license of any kind and insurance

the operator of a motor driven cycle must hold a license or permit.

can you say10 hp cycle lol here is the link to this bill it has not passed yet

but i am call my congressman and say **** yaaaa

here is the link

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2013/HB/HB1523.1.html

update it has been changed from 30mph to 35mph cooooool lol
So wondering how does this part differ from now?

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi

17.50 a year registration + some tax. for moped same as a motorcycle but no title or plate fee.

butt you get to run up to 35mph legal and any motor. no speeding ticket or ticket for having over cc motor. 1 speeding ticket will cost you more.

now if you want to run faster register as a motor driven cycle not a motorcycle same $17.50 + tax + insurance mine is $30 a year. so $30 + 17.50 =$47.50 pluse a little tax and you can put any motor you want and go as fast as you got ball for and no hassel from the cops, just obay the traffic laws. ill pay it.
my car insurance cost me $33 a month.

by the way you need insurance anyway what if you hit some one that walks in front of you, do you have an extra $100,000.00 in your pocket for there doctor bills???

the reasion for registration is so many scooters are being stolen this is to help stop it some

Don P

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
So please explain how the current law applies to a 66cc china girl.

I assume no insurance, and no registration. Is 66cc even legal now? What is the speed limit now?

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
hi no 66cc will get you a ticket. plus you have a clutch a no no.

law is 50cc max and automatic trans only.

if new law passes you can have a 666cc lol and a clutch and 4 speed trans if you want.

just don't go over 35mph as a moped. motor bicycle will be renameed moped, scooter will be renamed moped. so if you got a 100cc scooter just keep it under 35mph and your ok.

speed limet now is 25mph max

Don P

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
In that case I see you point. The new law would be a big improvement. I'm not wild about the insurance requirement, or the price of registration, but it's not really prohibitive, and that can be changed later on. The important thing is at least you could ride legal.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
i have about 10 mopeds/motor driven cycles to register all of them will cost a nice chunk of change as for the speed limit law they never enforced it unless you were actually breaking the posted speed limit in my area.. now i have to choose what bikes i will register i not thrilled just another way for big brother to gets his fingers on our money

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
hi glennbo

i do see your point. and in your case i will be a big hit on the pocket book.

but there is no insurance requirement on mopeds, you just need 17.50 a year registration + some tax per moped and you would be limeted to 35mph top speed. that is 10mph faster than we have now. by the way the speed limit is strickly inforced here big ticket.

city wants that money. with a 35mph speed limit i can keep up with traffic and take the lane will be a lot safer than 25mph on the side of the road.
i have been run in to a ditch befor on a 35mph road running 25mph. trucks will not move over to pass, that is ililgal on that part, law is they need to give you 10 feet when they pass. yaaa right mirrors have missed my head by inches.

Don P

Last edited:

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi bigdaddy1996 sorry Indiana only.
still voting on it. the indaina house has passed it, it needs to go to the senate and if passed then the governor need it sign it.
so it still has some way to go but i think it will pass they want the money lol.
good thing is it going to committee not full house or senate, passed house committee 10 ya 0 na. with a do pass recommandation to the senate. looks good to me.

look at all the scooters on the road to day $17.50 each = big bucks (IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY)

Last edited:

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
Hi Highwaystar you are right i like it to.
and it will make safer for us also we will be able to keep up with traffic. instead of being a traffic hazard. can run a bigger motor more power helps in traffic also.

Highwaystar

Jan 22, 2012
Indiana
It works really well for guys with bikes like the Whizzer. I was going to go the motorcycle registering and titling route with mine, but now I don't need to.

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
yep whizzer i know where a whizzer basket case is for $400, was going to pass but may rethink it if this passes. whizzer motor on my 1957 panther frame Hummm could be.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Here in Texas we ride in a gray area of the law, which means no law. I could live with such a law here if it comes to it. I would pay $17.50 to register my bike, and I could easily live with a 35 mph limit.

So will you have to have a license plate for a motorized bicycle?

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
biknut your in Texas this is for indiana only. but i think this need to be the law us wide.
i 35 mph is a good thing. we have some street with 20mph, 30mph and 35mph.
this way you can keep up with traffic and not be a traffic hazard.

here is another thing if you bike is register and it is stolen you might have a better chance of getting it back.
scooter theft is so bad here that has a lot to do with registering them.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I definitely could live with a 35 mph speed limit. That's as fast as I ever really go anyway. I agree it's a lot safer than trying to go 30 in traffic. I hope that law passes for you, because when Texas finally gets around to regulating us, it will be a lot easier to point out good laws that other states have on the books.