Electric Revival

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i use a bike helmet and its like wearing a hat. i have crashed with one on going over the handlebars head first into a big rock. helmet got a small dent it it but head was fine. no doubt in my nind i would have been hurt bad without the bicycly helmet. money well spent mike

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Thanks.

I'm jazzed 'cause I don't have to wear the big heavy DOT job anymore.

Well at least on the ebike. The gas bikes I still have to suffer the heavy - :(

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
you will like it mike.i spent around $100.00 on mine and i hardly know its on. i would suggest if you havnt already ordered one going to a store and trying them on. all of them fit a different way and that way you can get the most comfortable one out thier. the ventalation is really nice and you will not sweat near as bad when out riding around. also get a bandana type hat (scull cap) and keep it in your pouch. when it is cool out your head does tend to get a little cool put on cap under helmet and it will help keep you warm. if bald like me you get cool sun stripes on your head when it is sunny and warm out lol

Attachments

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Made the custom tail light. 27 red flat top wide angle (120 degree) LED's wired in series with a dropping resistor.

Wired it on a piece of perfboard and potted the assembly into a piece of poplar I routed a pocket into. Looks cool and works great. Draws about 10 milliamps connected straight to the battery.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Wired it into the junction box and all is well. Battery charging. It got to 102 today so I ain't been workin' fast.

But, I am going for a nite ride before I goes to sleep tonite - :)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nice Mike, that's a great taillight - it even matches the bike!

Night rides are the best & with the ebike thing it seems even better - flying along behind a tunnel of light with nothing but the hum of the tires & the "whoosh" of wind... and the crickets ofc lol

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Thanks, I like it too. It's not real bright, but very visable and nobody has one like it. Uses a half watt.

I need to change the headlight / junction box bracket. The aluminum bar has too much flex and bumps will actually cause the headlight to bang the bike and come out of alignment.. Need to go to angle or channel to be stiffer.

Also going to build a basket rack for the front wheel using the center fork hole and struts to the front axle for support.

Yeah, it never ends.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
The cute little voltmeter arrived today and it works good. Connected to the battery it read 53.4 volts, exactly what my DMM reads.

I love ebay - :)

I will cut a slot in some aluminum angle and put this little cutie right on the handlebar using the existing mount for the front reflector. Got my stuff for the front basket bracket too, so's I think I'll be done this weekend - :)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thanks man, I musta missed it... or spaced it... there's jus' so many toys, not that I'm complaining ofc lol

Been gettin' much riding in? Some "range testing" (otherwise known as an ebiker's fave excuse to ride)?

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, did 50 miles today - :)

On the scooter though, not the little bikes. On the freeway up to Stockton to get my favorite fried oysters.

Got my brackets cut for the basket mount and the voltmeter mount, made a new headlight/junction box bracket out of 1.5" alum angle with one side reduced and mounted that. Tomorrow I build the basket mount and mount and wire the voltmeter.

A good day. I needed them fried oysters. It's been a long time - :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
umm that looks yummy. my electric bike is about all done. i spent all morning getting the brakes perfect. living on an island that is nothing but a bunch of mountains i wanted them perfect. when you go up you have to go down and alot of the hills that are not steep but over a mile long and very windy last thing i want is brakes that are not perfect. off course time ran out and had to go to work

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I got the basket rack done. Took a lot longer than I thought it would. But it's really strong and I wouldn't hesitate to put 20-30 lbs in it.

Takes a standard Wald removable basket and it just sits nice in the angle base. Just bungee it to the rack and off you go.

Didn't get the voltmeter mounted and wired, one more thing to do.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
But I did go for another nite ride and verified that my new inmproved stiffer bracket keeps the headlight from coming out of adjustment. Even ran over some bumps I normally avoid just to make sure - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Voltmeter on.

It reads 51.6 now with 29 miles on it. Gonna take it out again and try to drain the sucker. This has over a 30 mile range. Ten miles of full throttle and the motor housing was just a little over body temp.

Love the cruise control and the regen braking. Looking forward to build #2 - :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
that looks like it is part of the bike mike. nice job! i got my rear view mirror on mine and have kickstand on order. hopefully it is hear this week along with my new shifters so i can use the regen braking. these electric bicycles are great fun., i love it!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Went out for a nite ride. 36 miles now, battery at 51.5 volts. How much more is there?

Dunno. I have not done all this riding at once, it has been bits and pieces over a week. 10 miles was the longest ride. I think batteries recover resting even though they are not being charged. I did charge it for like a half hour once, so this milage is not really real.

I'm going to start over. I'll charge it fully tonight and reset the odometer and get a genuine number.

Perhaps I am getting a boost from the regen too. I can verify that it does work, I can see the voltmeter rise when I apply the brakes, so the battery is getting a little boost everytime I stop.

Last edited:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
thats amazing mike. i can't wait to here how many miles you get. also if you get some warning that battery is getting low and how much warning you have. when i ran mine out it went from full to nothing but i do not have a gauge to see if it dropped twords the end. i am loving the electric bicycle more and more every day.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI