Buildup on piston and head

GoldenMotor.com

knitt31

Mar 31, 2011
WI
Hi there, I took my head and jug off for the first time today in hopes of cleaning up my ports, and i've come very quickly to the realization that I've been running my engine with too much oil. So, given the pictures, what do I do to clean things up a bit? Also, is there a trick to putting the jug back on with the rings on the piston? And finally, would it hurt anything to sand down the cooling fins so that they were silver, and the rest of the jug was black (for pure aesthetics) thanks guys!

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The amount of carbon build-up you have isn't too bad if you're running regular 2 stroke oil. Steel wool would take it off.

You'll have to compress the piston rings to get them back in the cylinder. You'll need to be very careful with this. They will break easily if forced and you can scratch the cylinder wall. There are tools to compress the rings but I just use my fingers along with some oil on the rings and cylinder. There are alignment pins in the ring grooves that you'll have to locate at the ring gaps. Easy does it, is the way to go.

Tom

knitt31

Mar 31, 2011
WI
Great thanks! Also, as far as the gasket between the jug and lower case got ripped in the process. Is that something I can make from auto zone gasket material of some sort, or am i better off to buy a whole new gasket set online? I'm pretty crafy with an xacto knife..
Thanks!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Auto parts store gasket material will be a better quality than what you'll get from the suppliers. Many of us don't use a case to cylinder gasket but simply seal the surface with a gasoline/heat resistant sealer. Permatex makes a copper based product that seems to work well. Make sure you remove all of the old gasket material and clean the gasket mating surfaces well before reassembly.
Tom

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
If you can get the old gasket off for a template, go for it. Depending on the material you use, you might want to make two, that green gasket is pretty thick.

Nothing wrong with sanding the edges of the fins to make'r perty, should fire up a dremel though, those fins can have weird edges from casting. :p

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yup !

as 2dr said, be very cautious compressing the rings where they are pinned.
instant breakage!

u could chamfer the bottom of the cylinder sleeve a bit, with a file, and then polish it so the cylinder goes over the piston and rings easier when you install it... just squeeze the rings in with your fingers... plenty of oil on them for installation.

this is a great opportunity for goopy stuff sealer to apply a bit on that broken base gasket. it'll work fine. just don't use too much or it will gob into the crankcase and end up in the combustion chamber! lol less is best!

u can clean, then polish the piston top, and the combustion chamber with some wet n dry sandpaper... just make sure to get any residual grit outta there before assembly.
the silicon carbide EATS motors! lol

lol
had a kid try to sell me a dirtbike once upon a time... it was in the back of his pickup truck. he just got back from the Pismo dunes and it was maxed out covered with sand! lol
Totally abrasive!
Told him I'd have to pass.
:)