Chinese Kit CDI Reverse Engineering

GoldenMotor.com

Do You Find This Thread Useful and Informative?

• Total voters

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
We have sample coils coming in from all different vendors, but it looks like having the coil along with the CDI in one enclosure would require potting of the device to prevent corona, ozone and arcing.

We want to avoid potting so that all components are easy to access for inspection and/or repair.

Looks like we will be going with the separate coil / CDI idea.

Also, the engineers are spending more time riding and enjoying the MB than working on development!

whipaway

Mar 15, 2013
NY
Any further work being done on this? Has the glass diode been determined to be a zener, or maybe a transorb?

Shay95

Oct 19, 2013
Mozambique
Fantastic read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little investigation on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I discovered it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!

Lightning Boy

Apr 19, 2014
Michigan
Though I don't use kit motors, I find these CDI construction threads very interesting. The component values are the key, because there really isn't much to the circuit. I've built guitar pedals from scratch that were much more intensive. Always wondered why someone hadn't cracked one of these open and tried it.

I'm late to the party, but still a good read.

tunerhead001

Jun 14, 2013
Pittsburgh
that sucks. Use photo-bucket (if you don't already). Btw I am having a problem with a cdi I put together using dracothered's design over in the "modified cr80 cdi" thread. I posted some pics, it would be huge if you could take a look and maybe shoot me some pointers? Any help would be appreciated!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The best place to host your images is on your providers server, you usually get like 10GB of storage for Internet linking free.

48ccbiker

Apr 5, 2013
California
What I don't understand is why you would want to keep to the same ignition timing as the stock CDI since it has already proven to be too advanced at high RPM. With more retarded ignition the engine reaches higher RPM with less vibration.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Just for ****s and giggles, I might take you up on this challenge as I have some time, some abrasive files, and whatnot, and I'd like to see a replacement made for this.

I was enjoying the **** out of my bike until it quit working, now it will not fire. I've gone through the carb, checked everything, and it will not light. I am figuring that the electronics went to **** on the CDI and I would like to install a better one that is more reliable. I was thinking of finding a similar replacement that is sold off the shelf for an ATV or something like that.

Anyway, if I get to it, I will try to post something about it. I am without camera now, so have no way to post pics, but I would love to compare what I have with what you all have posted.
In the Air force we melted this kind of potting with MEK. There was a 'missile simulator plug' that needed repaired so it would be dropped into a bucket of MEK and retrieved in a day or two, no potting left.
Anybody try submersing these in MEK?
(Methyl ethyl ketone, I believe)